What do you think of a All Spaceship Rifter?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Poll ended at Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:51 am

Yes:
38%
No:
62%

Total votes: 13

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I would to to see a Rifter full of Spaceship,s Pictures.
Some for Phase world and Other for Aliens Unlimited.
People can show ther ideas for Spaceships.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: What do you think of a All Spaceship Rifter?

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Apart from a comprehensive "Spaceship; Design, Build, and Cost" article, I'm not really interrested.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I'd have to say that wouldn't really interest me. Some might thing it would be a great idea and I would still buy that Rifter, but I like how the Rifter covers multiple game lines and gives different types of articles for different types of games.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

I would prefer something that has an update for rifts space and the orbital nations .
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

It would alienate the other game lines (ie. everything that isn't Rifts or Heros)
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would like this to happen so I can get the AUGG starship expantion I've been working on published.
however I would not want it to happen till I'm done.
---------------
Braden Campbell wrote:It would alienate the other game lines (ie. everything that isn't Rifts or Heros)

Not like there has not been other themed Rifters which haven't had all the settings represented? :roll:
------------
I for one tend to like things the involve ships (space or water) of any kind over things w/o ships.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would LOVE a rifter that does this. HOWEVER
1) I would want an actually space ship design rules. For Phaseworld, Aliens Unlimited, AND Rifts/Orbit
2) I would want those rules to be OFFICIAL.

the reason for that is that there are already TONS of 'rules' out there for building ships, why waste trees making yet ANOTHER unofficial 'hey this is my idea on how you could make spaceships work'

If its just a bunch of random peoples house rules....then in my opinion no rules would be better.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

There are already canon Space-/Starship design rules for all the settings you mentioned eli.

Yes, some are lacking to one degree to another, with the AUGG ones the best of the bunch being the most realistic in their approach. With the 3G ones being more "story based" suggestions in their listings for the non-technical minded, and the MiO ones....ah...humm are incomplete in major ways.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There are already canon Space-/Starship design rules for all the settings you mentioned eli.

Yes, some are lacking to one degree to another, with the AUGG ones the best of the bunch being the most realistic in their approach. With the 3G ones being more "story based" suggestions in their listings for the non-technical minded, and the MiO ones....ah...humm are incomplete in major ways.

I wouldn't call a price list for a bunch of random weapons, and a random roll table for a Galactic Tracer ship (that has no scale relationship to any OTHER ship in the 3Gs) a 'design rules'

I am talking something that is at least up to the standard of MiO/AU. You know Hulls, Engines, Armor, Weapons, Sensors, accessories. Some baseline costs on some TW stuff (besides "you and your GM make it up"). You know the stuff you can actually use to make a ship with out just "eh these numbers look good"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

No ty. Isolates the already unsupported lines.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There are already canon Space-/Starship design rules for all the settings you mentioned eli.

I wouldn't call a price list for a bunch of random weapons, and a random roll table for a Galactic Tracer ship (that has no scale relationship to any OTHER ship in the 3Gs) a 'design rules'

I am talking something that is at least up to the standard of MiO/AU. You know Hulls, Engines, Armor, Weapons, Sensors, accessories. Some baseline costs on some TW stuff (besides "you and your GM make it up"). You know the stuff you can actually use to make a ship with out just "eh these numbers look good"

The 3G ones are in the Fleets of the 3G book RDB13. Which are much like the Tracer ship ones in the Rifters. Which is why I described them as I described them. I find them stupid but they were not written for the more technical minded like me.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

A PDF option for download would be nice. Along with availability on setting in the particular features so as not to get confused would go a long way.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd need to convert my space rules supplement to a rifter friendly format first..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Since there are LOTS of ideas for house rules that would make cool articles.....what about a PDF in the vein of Rifter 0 (the old rifter 0.x theory)
either this could be rifter0, or a spaceship splat book.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

People can come up ther own quirks to for ships and how each race have ther own style.
Maybe rules on how to customas a ships for a Race.
Ideas on the Pros and Cons on each type of FTL,like Drive size,need for Fuel.

I like to see more ideas for Aliens Unlimited and Phase world in Rifter,like New Alien Races.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I don't know about all spaceships, but half would be cool.
Moses the Wanderer
D-Bee

Unread post by Moses the Wanderer »

I'd like to see rules on including ship board AI, like for the android construction rules. Different skill packages like Pilot, maybe some Science packages. Could be interesting. Also allows for the GM to have fun with maybe some HAL scenarios happening.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Braden Campbell wrote:It would alienate the other game lines (ie. everything that isn't Rifts or Heros)

Not if you had spaceships for those other game lines.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Ther could be Pictures of ships that were not show,like the UWW,s Nexus Battleship from 3 Galaxies and Update verson of known ships too.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Maybe instead of SPACESHIPS it's just Space-THEMED

These games already have space settings and could get some fun ships for Player's purposes:
  • Heroes Unlimited - Either or both of the Aliens Unlimited setting, or something hero related in our solar system.
  • Rifts - Either or both of the Phase World setting, or the Mutants in Orbit setting.
  • After the Bomb - The Mutants in Orbit setting.

Now, some game lines whose space settings aren't detailed, but this Rifter could add to:
  • Nightbane - What have the Nightlords done with the various space programs? What are the various factions doing about it?
  • Beyond the Supernatural - Supernatural Horror in the International Space Station! Or even on the Moon (sort of like the Apollo 18 movie).
  • Splicers - Organic Spaceships and the Machine's space robots battle it out in orbit.
  • Palladium Fantasy - "Space" might be tough here, but take it down a few notches to some sort of sky-castles or civilizations far above the planet (sort of like Skies of Arcadia, or similar). Add the sky-galleons from Library of Bletherad and this could make an intriguing setting, though technically not space
  • Dead Reign - Zombies in space!
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Glistam wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Maybe instead of SPACESHIPS it's just Space-THEMED

These games already have space settings and could get some fun ships for Player's purposes:
  • Heroes Unlimited - Either or both of the Aliens Unlimited setting, or something hero related in our solar system.
  • Rifts - Either or both of the Phase World setting, or the Mutants in Orbit setting.
  • After the Bomb - The Mutants in Orbit setting.

Now, some game lines whose space settings aren't detailed, but this Rifter could add to:
  • Nightbane - What have the Nightlords done with the various space programs? What are the various factions doing about it?
  • Beyond the Supernatural - Supernatural Horror in the International Space Station! Or even on the Moon (sort of like the Apollo 18 movie).
  • Splicers - Organic Spaceships and the Machine's space robots battle it out in orbit.
  • Palladium Fantasy - "Space" might be tough here, but take it down a few notches to some sort of sky-castles or civilizations far above the planet (sort of like Skies of Arcadia, or similar). Add the sky-galleons from Library of Bletherad and this could make an intriguing setting, though technically not space
  • Dead Reign - Zombies in space!
Holy cow! This looks like a great idea.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

All spaceship, no.

What Glistam said, yes.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Bah the Hardware Unlimited book needs to be like Mekton Zeta Plus in that it should be the design rules for EVERYTHING, comprehensive and well thought out. Then I can stop using Mekton Zeta Plus to build my Rifts stuff and then convert it over. Hmm comprehensive and everything may be redundant here, then again so should well thought out but we will probably either get a state to design everything, that doesn't cover all the details and doesn't mesh with any rules, something that only lets us design certain things and goes into WAY too much detail and still doesn't link with any rules or one that finally links all the system rules together but be a complete mess for designing anything with such vagueness that it is as clear as mud.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”