Question for Rifter Readers!

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Question for Rifter Readers!

Unread post by Kovoston »

Just a quick query:

Do you (dear Rifter readers) enjoy Light-hearted material or Serious material in a Rifter Article? (Sorry, I don't want to give away the topic just yet - Hint: These aliens, and the general concept, can be played with Heroes Unlimited or Rifts).

(Writing about a topic that can be played VERY silly, or played very seriously in a game, and I'm curious to get some feedback/player thoughts before continuing).

Thanks!
Icefalcon
Champion

Re: Question for Rifter Readers!

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I like my material serious. If I want humor, I add it myself.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Icefalcon wrote:I like my material serious. If I want humor, I add it myself.

Ditto
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

I take both. Most Rifter material tends to lean toward serious - not sure if that's editor bias (i.e.-Wayne's preference) or just that the majority of submissions come in that way, though I'd think it was the latter.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah typically I like my stuff to be serious if I am going to use it with any regularity. If it is only meant to be a one off (a short story or single night adventure) then humourous can be ok.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Icefalcon
Champion

jaymz wrote:Yeah typically I like my stuff to be serious if I am going to use it with any regularity. If it is only meant to be a one off (a short story or single night adventure) then humourous can be ok.

This perfectly states the problem. Humorous stuff can only be used once as opposed to the serious content able to be used multiple times. At least in my opinion.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i like both. just not in the same article. certainly canon palladium game settings have both. just look at Floopers in rifts. or many of the TW devices. HU works quite a few comedic elements into their hero concepts, etc.
humor can be reused in a persons campaign, but unless your running a comedy oriented game, you run the risk of overdoing it.

IMO, if you write an article with lots humorous elements don't try to make it serious. but if you write a serious article, keep the humor to a minimum.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Okay guys,

I read you loud and clear - no funny stuff. So as per the request I will make this article very dark.

Thanks.
Icefalcon
Champion

Kovoston wrote:Okay guys,

I read you loud and clear - no funny stuff. So as per the request I will make this article very dark.

Thanks.

Oh, I am looking forward to a VERY dark article. I have not seen one of those in a long while.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”