Non-Canon Dual Class Options

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Would Dual and Multi-class options make a good Rifter Article

Yes.
87%
No.
13%

Total votes: 30

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Non-Canon Dual Class Options

Unread post by jaymz »

I think there was an article that touched on this quite a while ago but it was part of another article....maybe try looking over the Rifter Index here on the forums?

Personally I never understood the reluctance to come up with a canon way to do this since, as you said above, there are a multitude of NPC's that have....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

I think the problem with multi/dual classing in Palladium is skills, and I think this is where most people get hung up.

The freezing of skills is a strange, unnecessary mechanic IMO. After all, "normal" characters can have skills they never use that still advance every level. For instance, a Rifts character rifted to PF would still increase his Computer Ops skill every level. So, why would a Cyber-Doc that became a Mage not increase his MD skill every level?

Then there are H-to-H skills. According to the cannon rules, h-to-h skills are also frozen/reset, but why? Does the character suddenly forget how to fight or suddenly become unable to progress to the next belt (if a martial artist)?

I think there is too much emphasis put on play balance and not enough reliance on logic.

If I were to create a multi/dual class system, I would probably separate skill progression from class ability progression. I would keep the skill progression constant, halt the progression the old class abilities, and start the new ones at level one.

If dual classing, I would require split XP (part going to each class) based on what abilities the PC used, and I would have the "skill" level equal the higher of the two classes. You'd have to figure out how to handle skill progression, but I'm sure something could be figured out.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Get writing then!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Considering the scope of rifts, I need to know how to do multiple occ changes over time, not just 1 change. Characters that live over 1000 years surely aren't going to be the same occ that entire time, especially if they reach level 15...
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I think it,s ok if ther two different Occ types like a Magic/Man at arms.
Have two Magic Occ is a bit too much,so I keep it to only God level beings.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

MaxxSterling wrote:Considering the scope of rifts, I need to know how to do multiple occ changes over time, not just 1 change. Characters that live over 1000 years surely aren't going to be the same occ that entire time, especially if they reach level 15...

For immortal (super-long lived) chars (see PU2, MC, RCB2, PFD&G, and others for immortal char details) I would have them just learn more skills. This because those that live super-lon lives tend to get distracted by "living" or have a "I will get to it later" mentality.

While yes, they might do different jobs during their lives. This does not mean they have to change their class.

So I would use the HU:PU2 ed bonus for age to enhance a older immortal.

Or as an option use the one I've written up for Alchemical Immortals in MC.(below)

*For every 50 years of age (over 50) the Alch. Im. may have learned a new skill, spell, MA power, Psi power. Limited to mages, Martial Artists, and Psychics respectively.
*However, when living in a modern society (like between 1912 and 2005) the Alch. Im. may have learned a new skill every 5 years. (This section only covers skills. Excluding spells (see the Spell creation rules for replacement rules), MA powers, and psi powers.)
*[note: have not written anything up to cover skills that would represent the last 7 years (2005-2012). But will give some thought about it.]
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”