Customization

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Looonatic
Adventurer

Customization

Unread post by Looonatic »

I have a vague recollection of one of the Rifter issues having rules for customizing characters by trading skills for spells and/or psionic powers and vice-versa. Now I can't seem to find it. Does anybody remember?

What I'm trying to decide as a GM is the following: I have a player that wants to create a superhuman teleporter with Heroes Unlimited rules. But he wants to extend the range and (possibly) decrease the chance of failure by taking the same power TWICE or using a minor power slot on it.

I'm hoping that Rifter will give me some feeling for such customizations so that I can decide if it's possible and what the cost ought to be. (Personally, I'm thinking that increasing the range would require another power choice, but increasing the accuracy would be better suited as a Skill substitute. I'm also pushing him to create a Wanderer OCC from Rifter 18 instead).
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Customization

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In N&S and MC a char can trade their MA powers for skill programs.

There is the cinematic customization article, and then there is the specialization article in the rifters.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:...There is the cinematic customization article, and then there is the specialization article in the rifters.

...so.... in which Rifter(s)?
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Sorry, I never saw that article.

Concerning the specific situation of your player, it seems like you are on the right track already. If your concern is game balance, than a Rifter article with guidelines is not necessarily more balanced or more playtested than the solutions you and your player have already created. If you want to reign in a potentially game-breaking character, than introduce a cost-use mechanic in exchange for the increased range and a less deadly failure result. Have the PC use ISP or PPE to perform each use of the power as this is the standard in most other Palladium Games anyway. Replacing a you-die result with a random table of interesting outcomes in the result of a failure might make the game more fun for everyone.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I believe one of them is in R30 "A Cut Above: Optional Rules for ALL Palladium Games - - 16"

But I would have to look through my rifters to make sure.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I just had another conversation with the player in question. He doesn't want to play a psychic. I don't see what the big deal is, but oh well. I suggested to him the following:

I would customize the Teleport super power for him by trading capacity for range. He would be able to teleport anywhere on the same planet, but could only carry 100lbs(instead of a thousand pounds). I further altered the super power so that if he fails to successfully teleport, he just doesn't go. That might eliminate the chance for catastrophic lethal failure due to teleporting into an object, but in many circumstances, not going anywhere at a critical moment could be even MORE dangerous. And from a GM's standpoint, that's a lot more fun than just saying, "Sorry, you're dead dude" due to an unlucky throw of the dice.

I'm still waiting for his decision. He doesn't like the new weight limitation. He really wanted to teleport with other people.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I think thers should be rules on customization of Super-powers like take Control Others,lets say I have two characters who have the Control others power,What do you think I need to do too make the different from one another?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

gaby wrote:I think there should be rules on customization of Super-powers like take Control Others,lets say I have two characters who have the Control others power. What do you think I need to do too make the different from one another?

One might have to make hand signs to use the power. "Mind Control Jutsu" (okay okay I do watch Naruto Shippudden.)

Or, the char has no control of who he uses it on. And each time he meets someone's eyes the power activates.
(Yes, is thinking cyclops from x-men.)
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well they can be based on Effecting different Senses like One need to see the People he controls and they need to see him too.
Cover ther Eyes break ther hold and it,s Obvious when the power is in used.

The Other one needs only to be heared,and it,s no obvious when the powers is being used.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”