Wayne needs your Rifter submissions

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Wayne needs your Rifter submissions

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

They need more Rifter submissions, seeing your name in print is a thrill that is well worth the effort.

Palladium Books® Weekly Update – April 5, 2012

HELP! Desperate NEED for written Rifter® submissions!

Wayne’s file of submissions he feels suitable for publication has dwindled down to almost nothing. If we don’t receive new written material soon, we’ll have nothing to put into the pages of The Rifter®!

We’re not quite sure why more fans are not submitting written material for publication. After all, The Rifter® is a “fanzine” created for YOU – fans of Palladium, players, Game Masters and budding writers (and artists). We WANT and NEED your source material submitted for possible publication.

Much of the material we see submitted to the digital Rifter #0.1 and #0.2 as well as stuff posted on many fan web sites is exactly what were we are looking to print in The Rifter®. Yet, in recent months, people are not submitting them to us. Web sites are cool, but please submit them to Palladium Books for consideration for actual publication too.

Palladium has found many of its writers and artists via Rifter® submissions. Something like half of the freelance writers and artists working for Palladium got their start in The Rifter®. It is a great way for us to try out new talent and for you to get discovered. If you’d like to see a book manuscript published by Palladium, your odds improve if we get to know you first through several articles submitted for The Rifter®.

PLEASE SEND SUBMISSIONS FOR The Rifter® AND SOON!

We want source material, adventures, gaming advice and tips, character sheets, etc., that are 8-25 pages long. We will consider larger submissions that can be split between two issues, but 8-25 pages are perfect. Just send raw text with bolds and underlines. Do not try to format your submission like a printed book.

We always need material for After the Bomb®, Beyond the Supernatural™, Chaos Earth™, Heroes Unlimited, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies™, Rifts®,and Splicers®. Don’t be afraid to submit. We are seeking new talent and new ideas. And even if Wayne doesn’t find it good enough for publication, it’s worth giving it a shot, right? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Who knows? You might be one of our next great writers.

Please consider this your personal invitation from me, Kevin Siembieda, to submit work for publication in The Rifter®. Help!

Note: No, this is not the last issue of The Rifter®, but we are in desperate need for new, fun source material to publish. Game Masters, players and fledgling writers, please submit your game material. And soon! Thanks.

Rifter® Submission Guidelines

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: Wayne needs your Rifter submissions

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Its true... Ive seen my name printed in the Rifter nine times now, and each one always brings a big 'ol smile to my grill when I get my copies in the mail. :D
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
JMHutchins
D-Bee
Comment: Author of the Dark Day Chronicles in the Rifter magazines.

Unread post by JMHutchins »

This will be the fifth time for me, and I always feel that rush when I see my name and my writing in print. C'mon folks, send in those submissions!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~Albert Einstein
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I have 6 ideas in my "rifters submissions folder" but I have been working on a manuscript for the last gods knows how long. I will try and flesh them out inbetween for one a quarter.

I am writing my POH adventure up as a submission to take with me to the POH! Complete with maps (which Mr Gleba has already seen as he appreciates the effort that goes into map making).

I suggest others try and do the same. For a special "Adventures" version of the Rifter!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

As Rifter submitters are fans I think that they should all be paid with store credit so there is no cash transaction involved. Quicker, easier and we'll only spend the small amount of cash on Palladium products anyway!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Hey not good people. We definitely need some more new blood. I'm wondering if people are
more worried about "getting" paid rather than seeing their work in print. To me that's not as
important as showing off non-cannon material for Palladium fans to utilize. Yes I like posting
stuff here on the boards, but the Rifter is where I feel I measure up with others writers out
there. Don't be so protective of your gamer material. If your friends like it in your games,
write it down and submit it. Just because it doesn't make it into print, doesn't mean its not
any good. Sometimes the material is good but not written in the best format. Look through
the Rifter at how other material is published and use that as your guideline :ok: .
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

For me it's the idea that I might not get unwanted material back, that prevents me from submitting.

It's only been in the last few months that I've begun to develop an idea that I wouldn't be concerned about getting back.

I may be a fan of palladium books, but that doesn't mean I'm going to just hand out idea's with no idea if I'll be compensated, ie at the least acknowledged, for them.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

I have two ideas brewing for Rifter, and was shocked to read that the bottom of Wayne's Rifter barrel had been hit. Wonder why no one is submitting???

G
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

You should tag your work in your signatures. I always like to see who wrote what.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

hmm.. time to dust off my SkyKnight Industries Article, and maybe get cracking on the related idea. and maybe finally sit down and turn my 'cinematic realism' space combat rules into a real rifter article.. i'd rewrite my old Oregon Protectorate article, but i don;t have the time to fix that many problems.. :shock:
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

IMO

update their submissions policy is a must

accept e-mail submissions, not sure if PB are legally able to do this, without need for hard copies. only the signed submission agreement needs to be sent as a hard copy.

encourage fans to let fansites and blog writers know they like their material and point/encourage them to the rifter, or even ask fans to pass on quality websites and blog site addresses onto PB
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

they already take email submissions, though you do still have to mail in the UMF..
the problem there is more that wayne apparently has trouble sorting out the submissions from all the other mail he gets, and sometimes people don't label their UMF and Email well enough to match the two up.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
JMHutchins
D-Bee
Comment: Author of the Dark Day Chronicles in the Rifter magazines.

Unread post by JMHutchins »

Though I am going to sound like a materialistic weasel here, I originally submitted my writing more for the money than to see my name in print. Given the desire for anything Nightbane (among a few other settings), I thought I had a good shot at getting published and making money all at the same time. I'm aiming for other markets as well, but I wanted to start with a setting that I have been a fan of for years and love dearly. Nightbane is, hands down, the best setting of any RPG I have ever found and I wanted to put my mark on that world, even if it was in a very minor way. But it did boil down to money, to be honest. If payment had not been an option, I would never have submitted anything originally. I won't get rich by any means but the extra check every few months does help with the bills (at least it did until I stopped receiving them two submissions ago - got a trouble ticket in on that subject at the moment).

I don't plan to stop writing for Palladium on a freelance basis unless the paychecks do stop. For me, products for payment wouldn't be as useful as cash. Where I moved, I have to drive at least an hour and half to get to any local gamers and I haven't been able to play in or run a game except through PbP on-line games now for a year. I bought all the books I need on PDFs and I have hard copies of at least 50 Palladium books (range from Palladium Fantasy to Recon, Nightbane, Rifts, Dead Reign, and a few others), so products for payment would fairly well end my submissions, unfortunately. If I ever find a group nearby to game with, I will most certainly buy Palladium products before I do any other gaming material (I love the versatility), but until then, I'm not the target audience.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~Albert Einstein
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

Why not accept a PDF of a signed UMF? Is that possible?
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

ghost2020 wrote:Why not accept a PDF of a signed UMF? Is that possible?

Hell, I have my signature as a stamp to mark-up any PDF through my copy of Acrobat
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

glitterboy2098 wrote:they already take email submissions, though you do still have to mail in the UMF..

Thanks for pointing out this out. i was unaware of this, been a while since i read their submission policy. however on the same page they still have this

copy/paste from rifter submission guideline page

Send a Disk (ideally World Perfect, though MS Word will do) with your submission on it and a printed copy of your submission, or if you’re submitting something that’s on the web for approval first when it’s accepted we will need a disk with all of the HTML codes taken out.

IMO they shouldn't need a "disk" etc submissions anymore. Make it e-mail attachments only, no need/requirement to send disks etc in at all. An electronic submission agreement should also be looked at.

The submission process should be quick, easy and hassle free for the submitter as much as possible. sending in a disk etc with each article you submit is cost prohibitive and unnesessarily time consuming for many fans

because most of them will be fans first. This submission would generally be their first attempt at getting something published. (These are the people that pb seems to be targeting for submissions, rather than established game writers who submit professional quality articles to multiply game companies)
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the problem there is more that wayne apparently has trouble sorting out the submissions from all the other mail he gets, and sometimes people don't label their UMF and Email well enough to match the two up.

an electronic Agreement sent along with the e-mail submission will solve this problem.

As far as i remember they needed the UMF signed to cover them legally. so they won't look at a submission until they get the signed UMF.

an interim electronic agreement allowing them to at least look at the submitted material and make a decision on using it then and there is all they need. I believe this is feasible for PB.

They can then fire off an e-mail to the sender, letting them know they will use that material or they won't. If they decide to use the material they can then ask the submitter for hard copies of the agreement/submitted articles, if that is what they really want. if a submitter then wants his work to be published he/she will then send in the hard copies requested, irrespective of cost and time taken.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

I always signed the UMF agreement and write the title of the work. I also send the
UMF in an envelope or submission box with a copy on CD (MS Word) and printed paper copy
(binded at Staples) of the work. But before I do any of this I email Wayne (or Kevin if its a
manuscript) and post the manuscript as an attachment. On the email I tell them when I
plan on mailing the envelope with all the stuff inside. I also give a brief synopsis of the
material in the email as well. The more professional you send the submission and different
options you allow them to view the manuscript the better your chances. The PF monsters &
NPCS that are in Rifter #57 and upcoming in Rifter #58 are in because Wayne was flipping
through the pages of the hard back manuscript and was interested in putting them in the
books. Wayne read the Undead Hunter short story in Rifter #55 as an email and that was a
twice submitted manuscript. So all I can say (and if given the chance to speak at the Open
House I'll say the same thing) is the more professional your work and your submission, the
better your chances might be. Its the same way if you submit to any magazine or book
publisher or if you try to get a literary agent. Neat and professional wins every time, but
doesn't guarantee a response or publishing, but you will always get noticed before those
who don't take the time and make their submission look good :) .
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Reagren Wright wrote:I always signed the UMF agreement and write the title of the work. I also send the
UMF in an envelope or submission box with a copy on CD (MS Word) and printed paper copy
(binded at Staples) of the work. But before I do any of this I email Wayne (or Kevin if its a
manuscript) and post the manuscript as an attachment. On the email I tell them when I
plan on mailing the envelope with all the stuff inside. I also give a brief synopsis of the
material in the email as well.

i do the same. the main reason my non-rifter 01./0.2 material didn't get accepted was because it's lousy. of course, i recognize that now.. at the time i thought it was awesome. :lol:

figures that i have 2-3 projects i could dust off, finish up, and send in...right as i'm gearing up for finals and don't have time to work on them. :-?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Raven
Explorer

Unread post by The Raven »

Well, time for me to step into the fray on this.
After talking with a friend locally who is into Palladium for a couple hours after Kevin posted this murmur, we pretty much nailed what we see as the two problems for at least us: the waiting and the recent quality.
The recent quality of a lot of the articles has been outstanding, which I can bet puts a lot of potential writers (including me) into the mindset of 'Ye gods, my stuff is not worth the electrons it is stored as compared to this.' I look at the recent material and I then look at the roughly 30 articles I have in various states of completion (yes, you can ask Shawn Merrow about how many article ideas I throw at him) and my stuff looks like complete rubbish. I've had some of the freelancers look over some of them (the articles that are more complete then others) and for the most part the response is 'well, it might be good enough.' At that point, I look at it again to improve it, compare to recent Rifter articles and that little seed of doubt grows into something that rivals Yggdrasil.

Yes, I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill and perhaps my material isn't drivel, but the doubt is there. The bar has been set quite high anymore and no one wants to be known as "oh, you're the person that did 'that' article in the Rifter" after that. And yes, a number of the Rifter contributors and freelancers on here have said to many a person on here 'Just go for it and try', but with forums and internet banter, a mediocre published article can become more of albatross around a potential writing career then a myriad of rejections.

As to the waiting, from what a lot of people on here have said and others I know who have been in the Rifter, that is another stomach wrenching, stress-inducing roadblock. I've submitted short fiction to a couple different companies and with each submission, I've gotten a TBNT (Thanks But Not Thanks) response in a couple weeks. But as some people have stated, articles submitted to the Rifter seem to go into a slush-pile for Wayne to eventually review. This leaves the writer wondering if their material is either good, bad, ugly, or 'ITS-CTHULHU-SAVE-YOURSELF-ARGGGHH!'

This is just my take on this subject, and might be the proverbial kick in the pants that I need to finish up any number of articles and get them submitted. But fighting that nagging feeling of doubt tends to undermine the drive to write.
"Women and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it."
-- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long

Carl Gleba wrote:Well said Raven :ok:
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

a lot of the reason we got so much stuff for rifter 0.1 is due to the fact we were doing it as a group. those who submitted articles got reviews and editing help from others in the project, which in a few cases helped turn "well, thats neat" into a "wow, thats cool"..

and since the rifter zero's are basically experimental, and don't have the same format limits as the regular rifter. i mean, some of the submissions we ended up including would have been divided into 2-3 articles in a normal rifter, and two of the ones we ended up with were big enough to be sourcebook sized products all their own. all told, we had 3-4 normal rifter's worth of materials submitted.

there was also the fact that since the people submiting were doing so to their peers, fellow writers and players, and not to wayne directly, they were less intimidated by everything. we made sure to give timely responses to questions and submissions where we could, and we were very encouraging of people who doubted their own writing ability (most of them had nothing to doubt.. but no artist or writer can ever escape being overly critical of their own work.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

glitterboy2098 wrote:... but no artist or writer can ever escape being overly critical of their own work.

This is sig-worthy...
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Hmm....I need to find my Spellbinding article....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

MADMANMIKE wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:... but no artist or writer can ever escape being overly critical of their own work.

This is sig-worthy...

i'd add it to mine, but it's kinda crowded already. :)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

The Dark Elf wrote:You should tag your work in your signatures. I always like to see who wrote what.

I thought about doing that, but then I thought that would seem kinda narcissistic like, an that's just not me. Two of the reasons that I'm so freaking awesome is because I'm so down to earth and because I have no, whatsoever, any sort of ego. :)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

mrloucifer wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:You should tag your work in your signatures. I always like to see who wrote what.

I thought about doing that, but then I thought that would seem kinda narcissistic like, an that's just not me. Two of the reasons that I'm so freaking awesome is because I'm so down to earth and because I have no, whatsoever, any sort of ego. :)

:lol:

I also give you full permission to put your work in your signature as a request from fans.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Dark Elf wrote:
mrloucifer wrote:

I also give you full permission to put your work in your signature as a request from fans.

Greetings and salutations. Hmm ... um ... what was I going to say? Uh ... well ... erm ... maybe? Oh! I know.

Soooo ... Dark Elf, asking others to post their work in their signatures ... (do you see where this is going yet?) ... (well here I go anyways) ... did you ever think that you should put your work in your signature? Kind of set the example, do as you ask others to do. Just saying. :P

Have a great day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Prysus wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:
mrloucifer wrote:

Greetings and salutations. Hmm ... um ... what was I going to say? Uh ... well ... erm ... maybe? Oh! I know.

Soooo ... Dark Elf, asking others to post their work in their signatures ... (do you see where this is going yet?) ... (well here I go anyways) ... did you ever think that you should put your work in your signature? Kind of set the example, do as you ask others to do. Just saying. :P

Have a great day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Nope. Since the introduction of a PB FB page. I wish to keep my details as private as they can be at this point (Im sure frequent users no my "true name" :bandit: . I kinda like the anonymity of a username though. Bit of a paranoid net user here, sorry.

Besides, Im not sure if my work was well received so anonymity is great! lol - and no one can tell who the hypercritically DE is!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Have a Splicers article that will be sent in after the open house. Chek the Splicers forums for details.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Reagren Wright

Not sure if people still want to see my name any more Rifters (#55, 57, 58), but I got two short
story ideas I'm developing might send them in a month or two. Well see.
sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

To what e-mail adress I should send my work(23 pages long Phase World material, with the UMF agreement is attached; I would like to ask Mr. Wayne Smith's opinion about it before I mail it to the Palladium HQ)? I have already sent my work (sevaral times in recent months) to the riftersub e-mail adress, but no one answered. Are there any other e-mail adresses I should try?
My Flickr phostostream with pictures of various ships and deckplans: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/
Shawn Merrow

sagajr wrote:Greetings!

To what e-mail adress I should send my work(23 pages long Phase World material, with the UMF agreement is attached; I would like to ask Mr. Wayne Smith's opinion about it before I mail it to the Palladium HQ)? I have already sent my work (sevaral times in recent months) to the riftersub e-mail adress, but no one answered. Are there any other e-mail adresses I should try?

You have to mail a physical signed copy of the UMF to them. When you do make to sure to clear about the name you sent the emails under, so they know which articles the UMF goes to.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

Wouldn't a signed PDF of the UMF actually work as well? Why must it be a physical copy?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Short answer is "Ease and legality", I'm guessing.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Shawn Merrow

ghost2020 wrote:Wouldn't a signed PDF of the UMF actually work as well? Why must it be a physical copy?

Ink on real paper can be put in a file and most likely saved easier. In the end its the way they want it, so that is what has to be done.

sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Greetings!

Thanks for your answer Shawn Merrow.

I just want a preliminary opinion from Wayne (or anyone else) before I send the package to the USA (the postal service is expensive and not so reliable here in Hungary, that is why I sent the e-mail - with the copy of the signed UMFs, and wait for response).
My Flickr phostostream with pictures of various ships and deckplans: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67590659@N04/
Shawn Merrow

They need the physical copy of the signed UMF before they will even look at it for legal reasons.

Then you must sign & mail in the Unsolicited Manuscript, Idea, and Artwork Agreement, -- we will not look at a submission without a signed agreement.

sagajr
Wanderer

Unread post by sagajr »

Shawn Merrow:
Thank you! One last question about the following quote:
Send a Disk (ideally World Perfect, though MS Word will do) with your submission on it and a printed copy of your submission, or if you’re submitting something that’s on the web for approval first when it’s accepted we will need a disk with all of the HTML codes taken out.

What type of disk they need (CD, floppy, mini disk)?
Shawn Merrow

Don't think they have updated that part since floppy disks disappeared. I believe most authors use a CD for physical submissions. The actual article can be submitted by email, they just need the UMF mailed in before they can look at it. All my articles were just sent in by email.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

your best bet is to send in a copy by email, then send a CD with a copy alongside the UMF. personally i also printed off a hardcopy and sent that in with the UMF, to make things easier on them.

sadly mine arrived in the middle of the crisis and their move, so i don't know if that helped.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Shawn Merrow wrote:They need the physical copy of the signed UMF before they will even look at it for legal reasons.

Then you must sign & mail in the Unsolicited Manuscript, Idea, and Artwork Agreement, -- we will not look at a submission without a signed agreement.

Unless Michigan has some kind of stupid statute that requires original ink signatures on contracts (and I highly doubt there is such a thing given that the courts accept signature reproductions as binding) there is no reason why an electronically memorialized one will not suffice.
Insert 400 character limit here.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

The easiest answer is probably the best.

"You send it to them that way, because that's the way they've asked for it. And as you're basicly 'asking for a job' from them. You're gonna want to do it in the way they demand" :)

I'd do all of the above. But that's me.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Shawn Merrow

Todd Yoho wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:They need the physical copy of the signed UMF before they will even look at it for legal reasons.

Unless Michigan has some kind of stupid statute that requires original ink signatures on contracts (and I highly doubt there is such a thing given that the courts accept signature reproductions as binding) there is no reason why an electronically memorialized one will not suffice.

The most important reason that is the way they want it. I have been to a number of writers panels and they all agree on following the submission guidelines no matter what you think of them. If you can't follow the submission guidelines, many publishers will assume you won't be able to follow any other instructions and pass on you. This is advice from authors who have made the best sellers lists.

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Shawn Merrow wrote:The most important reason that is the way they want it. I have been to a number of writers panels and they all agree on following the submission guidelines no matter what you think of them.

Shawn is 100% correct on this.

In college, I interned for a literary agent and we always followed the publisher's submission policy exactly and authors who didn't obey were dropped by the agent.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Jupios wrote:I hope the Rifter continues. I hope people get stuff to Wayne. However, Kevin stated in the update that he was unsure why he wasnt getting submissions. There are a couple threads in this section (here and here ) where potential submitters expressed their reasons for not submitting. Palladium may be able to help themselves in getting more material submitted by reviewing these threads and addressing some of the concerns raised where possible.

Greetings and Salutations. I did my best to review those two threads as well as this one. In doing so I came up with these questions ...

Spoiler:
Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. With great misfortune, I won't be able to make the podcast either (though I will listen to it later). For the same reasons I had to miss the Open House, I'll be working (or on the road traveling to work). With the request made for Rifter submissions about a month ago, there were some topics that came up on the forums. I thought it might be nice to ask some questions regarding that ...

Rifter Questions
1: Return of Material. Some fans are concerned about submitting their material and losing their rights to the material, even if not accepted. This means they can't rewrite or retool the concept, removing Palladium IP of course, for submission elsewhere or even to post for free online. Is this something Palladium would be consider changing? Maybe after 1 or 2 years the material reverts to the writer, unless it sees print (or at least a letter asking to renew the option for another couple of years).

Note: I know Wayne is busy, so not asking for a full review/critique. But if something considered for later (I think he has a pile), after 2 years they need to renew the option or lose it. This will save the time from having to respond to all those rejected/not accepted for consideration, doubling as a potential rejection notice.

2: Palladium already accepts e-mail submissions, but still requires a physical UMF to be signed and mailed. Would Palladium consider accepting an electronic UMF? Either signed/scanned and e-mailed, or a type of electronic signature.

Note: Accepted for print contracts can still be done on paper (as those are mailed out to the accepted writer).

3: Knowing Palladium is in hard times, some fans have suggested paying in store credit instead of in cash. This may not work for everyone, but is this something Palladium would consider as an option? Something like "X" dollars or "Y" in store credit (with Y being a slightly higher pay rate as encouragment), or store credit gains a 10% discount (just as examples).

Note: Yes, I realize some contributes definitely want real money, either due to real life responsibilities and/or they own everything from Palladium already. That's why I included this as an "option."

4: Submissions are recommended between 8-25 pages long. Longer articles will be considered and possibly broken up into more than one issue. What about smaller submissions, 7 pages or shorter? Can they be submitted as well, or would they be too short to be of much use? (e.g. Someone writes a cool 4 page O.C.C. that's never been thought of before but no other material with it, would that be worth submitting?)

5: For books (such as World Books), Palladium is known to rewrite portions. Is this something done in Rifter material as well, or only official material?

Note: I'm referring to rewrites such as Dead Reign (I think we all know what I'm talking about). While I'm fairly sure this doesn't happen in Rifter material, I've seen mention on the boards some people are afraid of this and won't submit for that very reason.

6: What type of material does Palladium look for the most? Stories? Fluff and world expansion? Lots of toys (such as new O.C.C., weapons, etc.)? A blend is always good, but iis there one area that gets the best response?

7: Okay, this one's for me (and some others). So there any new word on the status of the Rifter 0.1 project? Is this still being reviewed or is it on hold while Palladum works on other projects?

Anyways, most of these aren't really questions for me personally. Most of these I've just seen come up on the forums at one point or another. Most of these questions were found from reading "The Rifter" forum (though a few from other locations). I'm trying to collect thoughts, and form them as constructive and reasonable as possible. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Those questions were asked on the last Gateway to the Megaverse podcast hosted by Matthew Daye (Prince Artemis) with special guest Kevin Siembieda. For those who would like to hear the answers, I suggest you take a listen. For those with more limited time, here is a quick breakdown of the episode ...

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=130806&start=0

Spoiler:
Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. This isn't something I've done in a while, but wanted to help break down the chat so people can see (at a glance) what was discussed and/or if they'd like to skip to a particular section. Hope you all enjoy. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

EPISODES2E1 - New Beginnings and a Chat with Kevin
Season 2, Episode 1

(Start of the podcast)

Standard disclaimers and note that this is the second season of the podcast

(1 minute mark)

Current things going on with Palladium
-includes current books in the pipeline
-fading voice volume of the host starts here

(4 minute mark)

Questions begin; starting with the Open House
-includes discussing if this was the last one, sales, and stand out points

(17 minute mark)

Questions continue; including the Rifter and Megaversal Insider (and Kickstarter)
-Rifter topics include retaining ownership of the material, UMF, payment, content size, preferred content,

(53 minute mark)

Questions continue; including talk of PDF and e-books as well as Rifts map options

(1 hour 6 minute mark)

Questions continue; including supporting other lines and Palladium freelancers
-extended talk on Land of the Damned Three and, later, the fabled Splicers sourcebook

(1 hour 30 minute mark)

Questions continue; including another Open House question involving volunteers, the growing resurgence in role-playing, and Palladium's online plans (YouTube and comics)

(1 hour 44 minute mark)

Questions continue; including a guest caller asking about Glitter Girls, plans for next year, more on the potential for Palladium comics (and online comics in general)

(1 hour 54 minute mark)

Questions continue; finishes with discussion of the rule changes topics and what's come of that

(1 hour 56 minute mark)

Good-bye to Kevin and closing remarks regarding the Gateway to the Megaverse as well as future topics for the show

(End podcast at 2 hours 7 minutes 34 seconds)

Start at about the 17 minute mark and there's about 35 minutes of talk on the Rifter (plus some side dialogue on the Megaversal Insider deals).

Anyways, I figured some here might not have known about this, but may still want to hear the answer. Hope this helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I have a ton of stuff for the rifter just sitting on the back burner. Multiple Splicers articles, O.C.C. updates for Rifts, just all kinds of stuff.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

The Galactus Kid wrote:I have a ton of stuff for the rifter just sitting on the back burner. Multiple Splicers articles, O.C.C. updates for Rifts, just all kinds of stuff.

i've got one article 95% finished, and could probably adapt my space combat rules for phaseworld/MiO/anypalladiumspacegame to an article fairly quickly..i just need a good intro to describe the realities of acceleration, inertia, and quasi-vectored movement.. (the version i have up on my website just links to some really good primers on youtube about that..)

i've got material i could turn into articles, including a lot i'd been meaning to make into articles anyway, but those would need lots more work.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

I have literally HUNDREDS of pages of material, but with Palladium's history of "non-communication" regarding submissions, I have not sent anything in. I refuse to wait upwards of 2 years for a response. Alot of what the "Storytellas Studios Project" is came about because I didn't want to wait that long just for a response. Someone made the joke "you could publish it yourself in that time". And so it has become it's own animal. If I would've submitted all my stuff back when I intended (prior to doing some research on Palladium's procedures), I would probably STILL be waiting and would be completely unable to bring my "project" to life.

Here's a question: If Palladium Books is scraping the bottom of the submission "barrel", will they inform the authors of their submission's status faster? Or will it still take upwards of two years to get a response? If there aren't that many submissions left to go through, they should have a faster turn-around on status notifications. No? Just wondering, I still can't submit anything, I'm using it all.
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!
Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

PhellaOne wrote:Here's a question: If Palladium Books is scraping the bottom of the submission "barrel", will they inform the authors of their submission's status faster? Or will it still take upwards of two years to get a response? If there aren't that many submissions left to go through, they should have a faster turn-around on status notifications. No? Just wondering, I still can't submit anything, I'm using it all.

I believe it was the fact that the submissions were lost, not that there weren't any. Sure I heard this but could be wrong.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

The Dark Elf wrote:
PhellaOne wrote:Here's a question: If Palladium Books is scraping the bottom of the submission "barrel", will they inform the authors of their submission's status faster? Or will it still take upwards of two years to get a response? If there aren't that many submissions left to go through, they should have a faster turn-around on status notifications. No? Just wondering, I still can't submit anything, I'm using it all.

I believe it was the fact that the submissions were lost, not that there weren't any. Sure I heard this but could be wrong.

You heard correctly, it was discussed by Kevin in the latest Gateway to the Megaverse podcast.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”