Do we REALLY live in the Coalition States?!

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 3-73 Cavalry. Leading the way! Airborne!!!
All hail CJ, Future Ruler of the Megavesre!

Do we REALLY live in the Coalition States?!

Unread post by PhellaOne »

OK, I know I'm going to get ALOT of heat for this one! :badbad:
I've just returned to the Forums very recently and I noticed something that is REALLY bothering me. How is it that on a site based on a book reading hobby, most people don't seem to know how to read and write? I've been going through various articles and can't seem to make sense of over half of what I've read. What really set me off was someone trying to correct me on a thread (at least that's what I think they were trying to do :? ) and every other word was horribly misspelled, and the grammar was so bad I couldn't tell where one thought ended and the next began. It's my belief, or at least it WAS my belief, that RPG players, especially us old school pen & paper players, were a cut above the norm in the literacy department. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but please, we're supposed to be communicating here. Communication is a two-way street; one person says something in such a way that another can UNDERSTAND it. I thought that was a prerequisite to this hobby of ours? Is anyone else frustrated by this practice? And for Pete's sake, if you're going to insult, chastise, or (God forbid!!!) CORRECT me on this, at least write what you're going to say on something with spellcheck first, copy & paste it here, and then submit. Otherwise, you're just proving my point. There... I said it. Now maybe we can exchange ideas. :|

(Edited P.S.) Please read this AND the very next comment carefully. This post was NOT intended to attract "haters", people itching for an argument, or those with learning disabilities (seriously, THAT issue came up!). I'm just trying to find like minded people who are: 1) Intelligent enough to understand what I stated in these first two comments; 2) Willing to share (back AND forth) ideas and rational opinions; and 3) Passionate about RPGs. Anyone else, I apologize :oops: if the title of this thread caught your attention and then you get upset when you read the dialogue below. This is NOT about the CS. It was a statement I made to avoid the people who tend to digress from a topic's original point! I've noticed it alot in the many, many threads I've read since my return to the Forum. (Example below.) It gets pretty nasty and that's NOT the intention of this topic.
Jeez, I can't believe I had to do this. I thought I was clear on that in this AND the next comment.

Game on! Long live Palladium Books!!!

Warning: If you have to preface your post with comments like
OK, I know I'm going to get ALOT of heat for this one!
and
I understand that the Administrators might get upset with me about this topic
you should probably take a deep breath, step away from the keyboard and do something other than posting.

Why? Well because you can reasonably expect to have your thread locked a warning applied for your actions in said thread and possibly lose your board privileges for a while.
Last edited by PhellaOne on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
All will bow to CJ, Future Ruler of the Megaverse!

"Storytellas Studios... that's how we imagined it!"
http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)
StorytellasStudios@groups.live.com for now.

Xbox Live gamertag: xX PhellaOne Xx
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Do we REALLY live in the Coalition States?!

I understand that the Administrators might get upset with me about this topic, so let me further explain. I was in the chatrooms and someone mentioned that they just "skim" through the topics because alot of the dialogue doesn't make sense. I took that to heart because I came back here to exchange ideas with people that have similar interests as I do. It bothered me that this seemingly intelligent person didn't like using the Forum for, what I thought was, it's intended purpose: the exchanging of ideas. This person is the type of person I would like to receive feedback from, and give my opinions to. When I realized that this type of person most likely would not be involved in the Forums, well, it upset me. After all, that was exactly the type of person I wanted to exchange ideas with. So to anyone reading this thread, if you're the type of person who can't get a coherent thought across to another English speaking human, just DON'T respond; find another member closer to your level. However, if you know how to communicate, in ENGLISH, then I will "friend" you and keep my topics to just that group. Say something that only you can understand, and I will "foe" you to avoid your jibberish from here on out. I understand using "ghetto shorthand" on IMs and texts, but I have higher expectations on the Forums. If your feelings got hurt, or this topic upset you, you're probably the type of person who WILL get "foe"ed. Don't interrupt when the adults are talking.

http://www.storytellasstudios.com (I've bought and registered the domain, next is buying the servers!)

Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

PhellaOne wrote:OK, I know I'm going to get ALOT of heat for this one! :badbad:
I've just returned to the Forums very recently and I noticed something that is REALLY bothering me. How is it that on a site based on a book reading hobby, most people don't seem to know how to read and write? I've been going through various articles and can't seem to make sense of over half of what I've read. What really set me off was someone trying to correct me on a thread (at least that's what I think they were trying to do :? ) and every other word was horribly misspelled, and the grammar was so bad I couldn't tell where one thought ended and the next began. It's my belief, or at least it WAS my belief, that RPG players, especially us old school pen & paper players, were a cut above the norm in the literacy department. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but please, we're supposed to be communicating here. Communication is a two-way street; one person says something in such a way that another can UNDERSTAND it. I thought that was a prerequisite to this hobby of ours? Is anyone else frustrated by this practice? And for Pete's sake, if you're going to insult, chastise, or (God forbid!!!) CORRECT me on this, at least write what you're going to say on something with spellcheck first, copy & paste it here, and then submit. Otherwise, you're just proving my point. There... I said it. Now maybe we can exchange ideas. :|

Oh I just love people like you!

1) Have you ever considered that maybe not all people hail from an English-speaking country. (To myself English is my 7th or 8th language and one that i only use when there are no texts or people who actually speak any other language that I speak?

2) Do you realize that that there are people with reading/writing disabilities here on the forums?

3) And just so you know, friend me or foe me all you want, it is not that I actually care whatever you do. For my experience here on the forum, you are just as insignificant to me as PB release schedules & murmurs of the megaverse, I might read what you say in the future, but do not count on it. Not until you actually write down some of your ideas that can affect my campaign I GM.

4) You mean American English? And not the proper British English, I take it?

Warning: Please do not respond to posts that you consider flaming or harassment with a post that could also be viewed as flaming and harassment. The end result is you could get a warning too. Just report the post and move on.
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dunia wrote:

1) Have you ever considered that maybe not all people hail from an English-speaking country. (To myself English is my 7th or 8th language and one that i only use when there are no texts or people who actually speak any other language that I speak?

2) Do you realize that that there are people with reading/writing disabilities here on the forums?

3) And just so you know, friend me or foe me all you want, it is not that I actually care whatever you do. For my experience here on the forum, you are just as insignificant to me as PB release schedules & murmurs of the megaverse, I might read what you say in the future, but do not count on it. Not until you actually write down some of your ideas that can affect my campaign I GM.

If there are people that have a reading/writing problem here on the Forums, how do they play Pen & Paper RPGs? How do they post and respond? And even the players/fans in other countries still read the books in English, and AMERICAN English at that. The books aren't in Spanish, Chinese, French, Swahili, Sanscrit, or Tolkien's Elvish. It's in the language you just responded in, if you haven't noticed. And you obviously didn't use spellcheck, in ANY form of English. "that that" (Although, I'll admit your response was better than most.)
And to clarify, this article wasn't meant to generate responses or start a p***ing contest. It was to avoid people who don't know how to communicate and keep them away from me and my posts. Which brings me to something else about communication in the written form; it's called kom-pree-hen-shun. Just because you can word the sounds out with your mouth or spell them on paper, doesn't neccessarily mean you can translate the sentence into a thought, whether you're reading it (you understanding) or writing it (getting others to understand).
I LOVE people like you, too! They just help me prove my point. :D Any other haters?! I LOVE haters. :twisted:

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

PhellaOne wrote:
Dunia wrote:

If there are people that have a reading/writing problem here on the Forums, how do they play Pen & Paper RPGs? How do they post and respond? And even the players/fans in other countries still read the books in English, and AMERICAN English at that. The books aren't in Spanish, Chinese, French, Swahili, Sanscrit, or Tolkien's Elvish. It's in the language you just responded in, if you haven't noticed. And you obviously didn't use spellcheck, in ANY form of English. "that that" (Although, I'll admit your response was better than most.)
And to clarify, this article wasn't meant to generate responses or start a p***ing contest. It was to avoid people who don't know how to communicate and keep them away from me and my posts. Which brings me to something else about communication in the written form; it's called kom-pree-hen-shun. Just because you can word the sounds out with your mouth or spell them on paper, doesn't neccessarily mean you can translate the sentence into a thought, whether you're reading it (you understanding) or writing it (getting others to understand).
I LOVE people like you, too! They just help me prove my point. :D Any other haters?! I LOVE haters. :twisted:

Writing problems and reading comprehension (nor intelligence Level) do not go hand in hand.
Ever heard of Dysgraphia? it effects the the ability to transmit in the written word ones ideas, but often sufferers reading comprehension is well above average.
How about Dyslexia? reading and writing are a chore but ones comprehension level is often above average.
I suffer from a writing disorder that makes it nearly impossible for me to write legibly by hand. Yet when my reading comprehension was tested it was shown that I was reading at a college level at the age of 10. (I went on to study English and Literature in college).
Do not assume that ones ability to express themselves in print is a reflection of temperament or intelligence. (it will only reflect badly for you in the long run.)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Damian Magecraft wrote:
PhellaOne wrote:If there are people that have a reading/writing problem here on the Forums, how do they play Pen & Paper RPGs? How do they post and respond? And even the players/fans in other countries still read the books in English, and AMERICAN English at that. The books aren't in Spanish, Chinese, French, Swahili, Sanscrit, or Tolkien's Elvish. It's in the language you just responded in, if you haven't noticed. And you obviously didn't use spellcheck, in ANY form of English. "that that" (Although, I'll admit your response was better than most.)

Writing problems and reading comprehension (nor intelligence Level) do not go hand in hand.
Ever heard of Dysgraphia? it effects the the ability to transmit in the written word ones ideas, but often sufferers reading comprehension is well above average.
How about Dyslexia? reading and writing are a chore but ones comprehension level is often above average.
I suffer from a writing disorder that makes it nearly impossible for me to write legibly by hand. Yet when my reading comprehension was tested it was shown that I was reading at a college level at the age of 10. (I went on to study English and Literature in college).
Do not assume that ones ability to express themselves in print is a reflection of temperament or intelligence. (it will only reflect badly for you in the long run.)

So, I take it you can understand what everyone is saying ALL(?) of the time? Good for you. :-? Again, not a p***ing contest. I'm trying to find like-minded individuals, who CAN communicate, via the written word (which happens to be the default medium here on the Forums). If you couldn't understand that between my first TWO posts on this thread then you obviously aren't one of them.
I guess I'm lucky I get to play with people who can communicate and comprehend. I plan on keeping that trend going here on the Forums. (And by the way, IQ. 157 and a member of Mensa. I won't even mention the awards, certifications, and everything else that I've earned over the years; I have to limit these responses to under 80,000 characters. Toot, Toot!)

...NEXT!

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

PhellaOne wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
PhellaOne wrote:If there are people that have a reading/writing problem here on the Forums, how do they play Pen & Paper RPGs? How do they post and respond? And even the players/fans in other countries still read the books in English, and AMERICAN English at that. The books aren't in Spanish, Chinese, French, Swahili, Sanscrit, or Tolkien's Elvish. It's in the language you just responded in, if you haven't noticed. And you obviously didn't use spellcheck, in ANY form of English. "that that" (Although, I'll admit your response was better than most.)

So, I take it you can understand what everyone is saying ALL(?) of the time? Good for you. :-? Again, not a p***ing contest. I'm trying to find like-minded individuals, who CAN communicate, via the written word. If you couldn't understand that between my first TWO posts on this thread then you obviously aren't one of them.
I guess I'm lucky I get to play with people who can communicate and comprehend. I plan on keeping that trend going here on the Forums. (And by the way, IQ. 157 and a member of Mensa. I won't even mention the awards, certifications, and everything else that I've earned over the years; I have to limit these responses to under 80,000 characters. Toot, Toot!)

not something worth bragging about these days...
they will let anyone and his dog join provided they have the cash.
Plus IQ scores? really?
if you tested the board members I am willing to bet you will find every single member is Mensa qualified.
The totality of your most recent post also points toward your temperament...
It was being associated with folks of that caliber that made me turn down Mensa.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Damian Magecraft wrote:It was being associated with folks of that caliber that made me turn down Mensa.

Really??? Who would you RATHER associate with? And the IQ thing... nevermind, YOU probably wouldn't get the point anyway.
This is a perfect example of the people I'm trying to avoid. :badbad:
Does anybody want to talk about RPGs? Or am I just going to receive a bunch of comments from the type of people I specifically asked not to respond? :?

(Edited P.S.) They don't charge to join Mensa. That tells me something about your "refusal" to join. :lol:
Last edited by PhellaOne on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

PhellaOne wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:It was being associated with folks of that caliber that made me turn down Mensa.

Really??? Who would you RATHER associate with? And the IQ thing... nevermind, YOU probably wouldn't get the point anyway.
Does anybody want to talk about RPGs? Or am I just going to receive a bunch of comments from the type of people I specifically asked not to respond? :?

if you want to talk about RPGs maybe you should have started a thread about RPGs and not one that is nothing more than veiled insults on the writing/posting abilities of board members?
You reap what you sow.

Who would I rather associate with? Humble folks who do not place themselves above others based solely on how high ones test scores are.
Last edited by Damian Magecraft on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Damian Magecraft wrote:
PhellaOne wrote:

if you want to talk about RPGs maybe you have started a thread about RPGs and not one that is nothing more than veiled insults on the writing/posting abilities of board members?
You reap what you sow.

I have. :-?

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

PhellaOne wrote:

(Edited P.S.) They don't charge to join Mensa. That tells me something about your "refusal" to join. :lol:

ahem...
taken directly from the Mensa web site...
American Mensa
http://www.us.mensa.org
Address
1229 Corporate Drive West
Arlington
Texas
76006-6103
Contact
Phone:
+1 817 607 0060
Phone:
1-800-66MENSA
Fax:
+1 817 649 5232
Contact American Mensa
http://www.us.mensa.org
Annual Membership Fee
$63.00

Test Evaluation Fee
$40.00
Supervised Test Fee
$40.00
Home Test Fee
$18.00
now what was that about Mensa not charging?
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Damian Magecraft wrote:Home Test Fee
$18.00

That's only if YOU think you have what it takes and WANT to join. If you're part of an associated institution that thinks you're worthy, THEY cover the cost. :roll: You, obviously, were the ONLY person who thought you were worthy, and couldn't/wouldn't pay the $18(!!!) test fee. So, Mr. "I could've, but didn't", what exactly have you done with your "genius" beside get "FOE"ed by me?

Say what you will, I'm no longer responding to your posts. As I stated in my opening dialogue. This has gone way beyond what it was meant to.
Haters! Ya gotta love 'em! :twisted:

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

PhellaOne wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:Home Test Fee
$18.00

That's only if YOU think you have what it takes and WANT to join. If you're part of an associated institution that thinks you're worthy, THEY cover the cost. :roll: You, obviously, were the ONLY person who thought you were worthy, and couldn't/wouldn't pay the $18(!!!) test fee. So, Mr. "I could've, but didn't", what exactly have you done with your "genius" beside get "FOE"ed by me?

Say what you will, I'm no longer responding to your posts. As I stated in my opening dialogue. This has gone way beyond what it was meant to.
Haters! Ya gotta love 'em! :twisted:

missed the Annual Fee did you? (and I even Highlighted it for you) hmmm... someones reading skills need polishing.
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Now I understand why this person I met in the chatroom said they only "skim" the articles. Too often, people get into a p***ing contest and lose sight of what the original thread was until it becomes a collection of insults and arguments! I participated in a negative back and forth with an intellectual midget (for which I publicly apologize :oops: ) and am getting discouraged. Whoever came up with the "Foe" idea, GREAT FORESIGHT! And "thank you" to that person for allowing me to focus on pertinent comments and not the feelings of some "butt-hurt" wannabe.

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

IQ - 167 last time I tested.

However, IQ and ones grasp of the English language has noting to do with how one behaves towards others as you have so abundantly proven PhellaOne. Make comments as you have and act as you have and you justly get what you have received.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:IQ - 167 last time I tested.

However, IQ and ones grasp of the English language has noting to do with how one behaves towards others as you have so abundantly proven PhellaOne. Make comments as you have and act as you have and you justly get what you have received.

Not trying to get into a p***ing contest with you too, 1SG. But I doubt the 167. If it's true, then you should understand what I was trying to say at the very beginning of this post.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Oh I understood just fine. However, let me point out the one flaw in your stance. You have yet to even bring up the topic of RPG's other than to say you only want to discuss RPG's with like minded people as yourself. Everything else you have spewed has been derogatory and insulting to any who have responded.

Here is an idea, if YOU want to discuss RPG's, and I am more than happy to do so, then POST about RPG's as opposed to insulting a lot of people on these forums for no other reason than YOU don't happen to like their English language abilities.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

IQ is a dump stat; ya'll should've focused on PP and PE.

There, NOW the discussion is about RPG's! :P
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:Oh I understood just fine. However, let me point out the one flaw in your stance. You have yet to even bring up the topic of RPG's other than to say you only want to discuss RPG's with like minded people as yourself. Everything else you have spewed has been derogatory and insulting to any who have responded.

Here is an idea, if YOU want to discuss RPG's, and I am more than happy to do so, then POST about RPG's as opposed to insulting a lot of people on these forums for no other reason than YOU don't happen to like their English language abilities.

AGAIN! I have. Really, people need to read ALL the posts in a thread, not just scroll down to the very last one. That's how you gain context, not just the final word. 167?! Really?! This whole thing looks like it's justifying ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING I mentioned at the start of this.

PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Grell wrote:IQ is a dump stat; ya'll should've focused on PP and PE.

There, NOW the discussion is about RPG's! :P

LOL. THANK YOU! This thread needed some comic relief. :)

Game on! Long live Palladium Books.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

PhellaOne wrote:
jaymz wrote:Oh I understood just fine. However, let me point out the one flaw in your stance. You have yet to even bring up the topic of RPG's other than to say you only want to discuss RPG's with like minded people as yourself. Everything else you have spewed has been derogatory and insulting to any who have responded.

AGAIN! I have. Really, people need to read ALL the posts in a thread, not just scroll down to the very last one. That's how you gain context, not just the final word. 167?! Really?! This whole thing looks like it's justifying ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING I mentioned at the start of this.

Considering the only pertinent posts are the first 2, since the rest are you essentially insulting anyone who dares respond to you and doesn't agree with you (including myself), you STILL haven't even TRIED to discuss RPG's.

IF you want to discuss RPG's then DO SO. I'll even HELP you this time. What is your stance on how to handle movement during combat since Palladium has no actual rules for such a thing?

And IQ is only a dump stat if you are anything other than a Scholar, Scientist of Medical professional :D and even then it is STILL a dump stat if it isn't a 16+ :lol:

\m/
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

jaymz wrote:What is your stance on how to handle movement during combat since Palladium has no actual rules for such a thing?

My quick and dirty rule has always been that a character can move up to half of his max distance per turn and still get his action. It makes Juicer super speed a more awesome combat spectacle.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Beep...bOOp...na..Na..BOOM@. Your such a joke pHeLLa...
PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:IF you want to discuss RPG's then DO SO. I'll even HELP you this time. What is your stance on how to handle movement during combat since Palladium has no actual rules for such a thing?

Sarcasm noted. SPDx15 gives you feet per 15 second melee. Divide that by the PCs number of actions to get feet/action, half that on the first action you start running due to acceleration.

This isn't the thread for that, but sounded like you needed an answer. Please read the edited P.S. I just added to the initial dialogue.

Not trying to be an a**, but the way this thread digressed from it's original intention has frustrated me, as that's EXACTLY WHY I wrote THIS thread. I have made many comments on other threads and initiated a few of my own topics. I just have VERY LITTLE patience for BS!

There's also a nice little article on Ranged Combat alternatives in Rifter #11 that can cover combat movements. Yes, melee combat, too, with a little creativity.
Last edited by PhellaOne on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Oberoth wrote:Beep...bOOp...na..Na..BOOM@. Your such a joke pHeLLa...

"Foe"ed.

PhellaOne
Megaversal® Ambassador

Grell wrote:
jaymz wrote:What is your stance on how to handle movement during combat since Palladium has no actual rules for such a thing?

My quick and dirty rule has always been that a character can move up to half of his max distance per turn and still get his action. It makes Juicer super speed a more awesome combat spectacle.

That works, with special considerations for terrain and obstacles.

This isn't a stab at you, Grell, but maybe that's a good topic to start! THIS topic really wasn't meant to address that issue. But I appreciate the change of pace here. 8)

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”