How does Palladium assign Rifter art?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Re: How does Palladium assign Rifter art?

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Hey, welcome back!

From my experience, Kevin or Wayne assigns art for Rifter articles to established and new artists on a per-article basis - basically when an article has been accepted for publication they send out a request for an illustration along with a general description of what they want. (This is from my own experience in being published in the Rifter, not sure of the exact details though since I'm a writer, not an artist.)

My understanding is that Kevin and Wayne consider all artists who have submitted a portfolio or samples to them (must be minimum of 12 black & white samples according to the website). A few tips: send in only your best work. Kevin says that there should be nothing in the portfolio that you feel the need to make excuses for like "Oh, I was sick when I drew that" or "that's from when I was young - it doesn't really show my best work." Also, if you have them, send samples of your art that is specific to PB properties - examples being things like rune swords, races, animals and monsters from the Palladium Fantasy game and such.

Good luck!
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

Select 8-12 pieces of your best Artwork that showcases the type of setting you feel you are most comfortable with and go to Kinkos have them copied onto 8x10 ultra white card stock and Fedex them to the Rifter address posted on this site ATTN: Wayne Smith. Usually there is no pool of stock images for a Rifter article. Art is assigned after the written piece is selected and deadlines can be very tight. Never put anything in a portfolio that you might have to explain or your using as filler material less is better if more makes you look bad. Good luck
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

bradshaw wrote:Select 8-12 pieces of your best Artwork that showcases the type of setting you feel you are most comfortable with and go to Kinkos have them copied onto 8x10 ultra white card stock and Fedex them to the Rifter address posted on this site ATTN: Wayne Smith. Usually there is no pool of stock images for a Rifter article. Art is assigned after the written piece is selected and deadlines can be very tight. Never put anything in a portfolio that you might have to explain or your using as filler material less is better if more makes you look bad. Good luck

LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!!
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Good luck. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
mumah
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

You may also just send in a link to an online portfolio. As with sending in physical copies, it is imperative that the link go directly to your artwork, and that artwork represents not only your best, most recent work, but is also the kind of work that the company can use. (you may be very good at drawing flowers and mountain ranges, but that tell an RPG company that you can draw aliens and monsters and femme fatales.)
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Don't sweat it if you've sent physical copies. Most art directors these days prefer the ease of quick clicking over having large packages cluttering up their mailbox and desk. Besides, since you'll be transferring your artwork digitally in most cases, it also demonstrates your ability to utilize modern production practices.
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Jupios wrote:I just followed the guidelines for submission. I personally think drawings look best in a quality print or as the original, so I went with that option. It cost a few bucks to print out the glossies, but I think its worth it. I included the link in my signature bellow on the cover sheet, but sent in the copies so they wouldn't have to sort through all the non-fantasy stuff online. As far as modern production goes, I recently got a large format scanner and have been learning photoshop. Most digital art I dont like, but its has my interest perked regardless. Its clearly awesome for comic book style coloring.

Just waiting to hear a yes no or maybe at this point. Till then I'll keep scribbling away.

Just for clarity, I meant that most artwork needs to become a digital file at some point, and most artists will need the basic array of software and ability to use it.

Now, there's digital artwork, which is 3D artwork along the lines of what Irvin Jackson and Mike Leonard do, and then there's digital artwork that you would never have any idea that it's digital. Artists like myself, and Scott Johnson as another example, work almost completely digitally. We still use pens, we still draw every line, we still brush every stroke. We just don't use paper and draw completely on the computer screen.
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

I've been drooling over those new Cintiqs since their debut. Scott Johnson loves to lord his over me, particularly after he's beaten me in Fantasy Baseball. But you can probably find a decent Wacom tablet and not have to blow a couple grand. I personally use a Wacom Intuos3, and I'm sure if you sniff around on Ebay you can find something quite serviceable. It's served me well for years.

Working with the tablet takes a bit of getting used to. There's quite the learning curve, but one you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. It's like using a pen, only all of your mistakes can be easily undone or modified.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”