What type of Rifter Reader are you?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What kind of Rifter reader are you?

- A Game Master
37%
- A Player
8%
- Sometimes a G.M., sometimes a Player
43%
- Neither/Other
12%

Total votes: 60

Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

What type of Rifter Reader are you?

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

So the other day I got to thinking that in my gaming circle I'm the only one who subscribes to the Rifter. I'm also the perpetual G.M. This is really too bad, because there's a lot of cool stuff in the Rifter that players would enjoy if they'd only read it. So I wanted to find out how many others were like that? Just what percentage of Rifter readers (who also are on the boards) are G.M.s versus Players/Both/Neither?
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: What type of Rifter Reader are you?

Unread post by mrloucifer »

One vote from a G.M. here.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

Definitely a little of both for me, about a 60/40 split between playing and GMing.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Im both. Thats how I read everything. Sometimes I wont read a book and give it to my brother so i can play it without spoiling the surprises.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Aww, this is a poor forced-choice for me. I vacillate between GM and writer with the occasional player perspective thrown in.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I am both player and GM
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Both
GM more than Player though.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

GM here.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

GM though I don't enjoy or use Rifters 95% of the time. The only time I actually read them is when someone wants to include something from an issue in a game and I have to review it for inclusion.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

It is a good question. Clearly, many of the articles are geared towards gamemasters. There might be a minor vicious circle at play there; GMs read and then submit their own articles similar to what they have already seen, and this inspires more similar articles.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Lord Death
Explorer

Unread post by Lord Death »

GM Here
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

Just a player here...though I have GMed alot of other games.
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Lord Z wrote:It is a good question. Clearly, many of the articles are geared towards gamemasters. There might be a minor vicious circle at play there; GMs read and then submit their own articles similar to what they have already seen, and this inspires more similar articles.

This was somewhat of the thought that I had. If GMs are the main audience/submitters it not only limits the range of articles, but also the size of the audience. I think its kind of obvious that Game Masters outnumber Players in the number of readers of the Rifter. Which stinks, because I know a lot of Players would enjoy the stuff that's in there.

The thing is, the Rifter by its very nature is largely a GM supplement right now, with adventures, settings and tips for running great games. This explains why we have more GMs than Players as readers. So is there a way to change this? Is there some way to put more Player-centered content into the Rifter? And should it be changed?
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Involved Observer wrote:This was somewhat of the thought that I had. If GMs are the main audience/submitters it not only limits the range of articles, but also the size of the audience. I think its kind of obvious that Game Masters outnumber Players in the number of readers of the Rifter. Which stinks, because I know a lot of Players would enjoy the stuff that's in there.

The thing is, the Rifter by its very nature is largely a GM supplement right now, with adventures, settings and tips for running great games. This explains why we have more GMs than Players as readers. So is there a way to change this? Is there some way to put more Player-centered content into the Rifter? And should it be changed?

Greetings and Salutatoins. I'll start by saying I voted (a while ago) as a GM. It's true that I am a player from time to time, but the truth is that I play so often that usually I'll just go with something from the main books. Because as a player I don't want to go through the hassle of asking the GM if this "optional" material is acceptable, then go through the review process, etc. Going with the main book is just quick, simple, and pretty much a lock to be allowed. Also, I don't play enough to be tired of the main book yet.

Now, with that said, I'll address the matter of the Rifter. I don't see the content as an issue. While I will admit some of it is directed towards a GM, that much can be said of almost any RPG book. Let's take the Rifts Adventure Guide is a book designed around adventures. The Rifts GM Guide has "GM" right in the title. Most of the game mechanics (outside of character creation) are for the GM to run the game such as the rules for combat, penalties for various skills or situations, and things like that. These are all GM tools. Almost every book has a section that's meant to be read only by the GM and not for players (because it contains secrets). While a lot of this is directed towards a GM when we stop and think about it. So let's look at what the Rifter offers: Setting material, adventures, new O.C.C., magic spells, skills, martial arts, and more. I don't (personally) see it being that different from a normal RPG book.

The main difference is that most of the Rifter is "unofficial" material and many GM don't allow Rifter material. If you glance around at threads I've seen several Game Masters who said they simply don't allow anything at all from a Rifter (they won't even look it over first). Then you have the "can I use this" "can I use that" period, and in my personal experience it's more trouble than it's worth. Also keep in mind that while there are 19 GM who said they use the Rifter, there are 13 players who said they use it. While that does mean there are more Game Masters than players, that is far from being a huge difference.

Anyways, I'm not here to argue. I'm just trying to provide a look from another view point. Hopefully this has provided you something to think about. If not, then my apologies for wasting your time. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

GM here and like to look at any new fantasy stuff, to see if I can add it.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

GM most of the time and player some of the time.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I've only ever GM'd Palladium products so that's kind of how I read the material. I'm honest with my players though, if there's something in the Rifter that I think they can use, I show it to them. As well it depends on the game I'm playing and what I'll allow.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Both : Mostly a GM though....

G

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”