Question of for whom a spell works

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Question of for whom a spell works

Unread post by darthauthor »

The spells:

Lantern Light (1)
See Aura (6)
See the Invisible (4)
Sense Evil (2)
Sense Magic (4)

Can these be cast upon others so that they will experience the benefits.
For example, can a ley line wizard cast see aura on someone else so they can see what the Ley Line Wizard sees when they "See Aura"?

Lantern Light that follows the one it was cast upon around

Sense Evil so the recipent of the spell senses Evil.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Question of for whom a spell works

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The spells themselves being cast by another mage, do not state at any time they can be cast on to another person. Usually if a spell can be cast on another person it is noted (either in the text proper OR Range).

Now there are 3 ways you can do this:
1. GM House Rule them to allow it.
2. GM House Rule Spell variants for that purpose (IIRC one of the Nightbane books covers this)
3. Use of magic artifacts like Techno-Wizardry or talismans or scrolls (or other examples) could be used to instill said magical abilities.
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

Its the lack of clairty that makes it possible.

Going over the spell descriptions usually they say "self" or other.

Those spells I listed do NOT say Self.

Obviously they work on and for the caster. We can all agree on that.

The question is, would it be bad if it worked on someone the caster cast it upon.

Lantern? I don't think so. It is giving them a flashlight.

The rest:
See Aura (6)
See the Invisible (4)
Sense Evil (2)
Sense Magic (4)

I feel it depends on the duration. The role of a spell caster, I have read, if played well, is NOT a TANK. They should BUFF the group and unbalance the field of battle/play in favor of the player group or against their adversaries. I feel "See the Invisible" does this, same with Sense Evil and Magic. While "See Aura" is an information gathering spell. Harmless on offense. Useless on Defense. Short duration; 1 melee round (so 15 seconds). As a GM, I'd say if it happened in combat the viewer would be confused or overwhelmed by the colors and spectal of what they are seeing. It is really only good for those who know what to look for after repeated practice of viewing people's aura. It helps to ID people whose aura you are used to seeing. For those, who know how to use it well they can gather information about people (general level, magic ability, psychic or not, PPE level, sick or not, maybe if possessed, cursed, or mind controlled, etc).

I don't see any danger of a mage casting it on someone else. At best, if cast on an unwilling recipent, and they fail the save, they may be surpised by what they see. Blinding flash is better; save is harder also.

I'd allow it.

So what's the danger, if ANY?
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Not all of those go back to the original fantasy game as spells, but most do. In that iteration of the rules, Sense Evil and Sense Magic were both "self". See the Invisible was "self or others". See Aura was a psionic ability only at that point and was definitely not something that could be given to someone else.

Make of that what you will.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”