The spell Memory Bank

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The spell Memory Bank

Unread post by darthauthor »

Can someone other than the caster of the spell Memory Bank retrieve the memories.

For Example, the caster wants to send a message to someone. They cast the spell on an unsuspecting person or willing volunteer.

When they get to the next town or whatever, the caster's people cast the spell again? or use telepathy to get the message out?

Of course, I would ask why the caster is doing it "this" way. Perhaps they are afraid the magic pigeon will be seen flying away or need the message to be longer. I am imagining the caster is uncover or in prison and being watched and searched so they have to send information in a way that is undetectable.

Which leads me to ask a follow up question.

Does the spell Memory Bank make the recipent detectable for magic?
Does the Aura look different the spell is cast on them?

In short, would someone using psionics or magic or Dog Boy senses be able to detect they had a spell on them (even if they did not know it was the spell memory bank)?
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: The spell Memory Bank

Unread post by Grazzik »

Hmmm... a magical "Johnny Mnemonic" approach...

RAW there is no mention of this as it seems to be simply for the personal use of the mage, but with a dash of handwavium you could consider:

* The info is put in the recipient's mind, so presumably anyone who knows it is there and can read the subconscious may be able to access it. However, if anyone other than the casting mage, decoding may require a) some way of reading the subconscious and b) a saving throw or some other challenge to overcome. Perhaps you could go so far as have someone "hack" into the mind like a virtual world and try get the data out while being chased by manifestations of the mind.

* Mind Bleeders may be particularly useful for accessing/extracting this hidden data given their power of Brain Scan to find the mental aberration and other powers to read or delete it.

The recipient is under the enchantment of a magical spell, so anyone with the ability to identify an enchantment (i.e. See Magic spell) would know the recipient is special in some way. The See Aura spell simply says it shows the presence of magic, so it might be used to detect the presence of something magic-related in the aura, just not specifically an enchantment.

What's interesting is that the Mind Bleeder can have the power to put a mental block into someone's mind and small ones, for example to block out phone numbers and the like, have a side-effect on psychics or anyone with a high ME in that they have a nagging feeling they forgot something. Though the Memory Bank spell doesn't have any mention of a side-effect, it doesn't explicitly preclude this effect as it simply says the recipient never knows what the banked data is. I'd be partial to giving mages and psychics a mental itch or general discomfort.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”