Use of Healing spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Use of Healing spells

Unread post by darthauthor »

Can these spells be used medically this way:

1. See Aura (6) to see • Health: Sick, injured or completely well.

2. Cleanse (6): To clean wounds and prevent infection.

3. Breathe Without Air (5): To substitute for CPR or a tracheotomy.

4. Negate Poison/Toxin (5): End the Effect of poison (Allergies? Food Poisoning?).

5. Superhuman Endurance (12): Keep someone awake and fighting their illness. Maybe get a re-roll on a saving throw with a +2 bonus.

6. Sustain (12): When the patient can't eat or drink anything or keep it down. Maybe help against allergic reactions or such. If they can breath? Maybe substitute for blood transfusion (puts off the need for blood until the spell wears off)?

7. Cure Illness (15): Ends infections? Spell reads, "Cure ordinary disease and illness, such as fever, flu, and other common diseases or sickness caused by bacteria."

8. Purge Other (100): Does this expel bullets? Arrows? knifes? Thorns?
Spell reads, "Cleanses the body of all toxins, drugs (including alcohol), disease, impurities, parasites or possessing forces, and the character feels fully rested, refreshed, and totally clean. All symptoms, effects, penalties and potential future damage instantly stops and the cause is eliminated. (is this the same as Psychic Purification?)"

Say, I thought something I asked the magic thread. Can the Petrification spell be used to stop a patient from dying by turning them to stone (like inducing a coma or suspended animation)? They they mend stone or carry the stone to hospital or bring a healer to the statue?
taalismn
Priest

Re: Use of Healing spells

Unread post by taalismn »

7) YES; it would work like magic antibiotics.

For 6), I'd say NO, it doesn't substitute for blood.

For 8 ), I'd also say NO, it doesn't remove bullets, shrapnel, and other large(above microscopic) foreign objects in the body. I'm iffy if it would remove nanotech.

And I've considered Petrification as a means of 'freezing' patients until proper are can be set up. Just carry them CAREFULLY, even if they are MDC stone. Mend Stone wouldn't work IMHO, because it would fix a broken statue/stonework and won't identify a pre-existing organic condition prior to petrification as 'damage'. And I REALLY wouldn't advise deliberately damaging a petrified trauma patient in hopes that Mend Stone would also take care of their original condition.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

darthauthor wrote:Can these spells be used medically this way:

1. See Aura (6) to see • Health: Sick, injured or completely well.

2. Cleanse (6): To clean wounds and prevent infection.

3. Breathe Without Air (5): To substitute for CPR or a tracheotomy.

4. Negate Poison/Toxin (5): End the Effect of poison (Allergies? Food Poisoning?).

5. Superhuman Endurance (12): Keep someone awake and fighting their illness. Maybe get a re-roll on a saving throw with a +2 bonus.

6. Sustain (12): When the patient can't eat or drink anything or keep it down. Maybe help against allergic reactions or such. If they can breath? Maybe substitute for blood transfusion (puts off the need for blood until the spell wears off)?

7. Cure Illness (15): Ends infections? Spell reads, "Cure ordinary disease and illness, such as fever, flu, and other common diseases or sickness caused by bacteria."

8. Purge Other (100): Does this expel bullets? Arrows? knifes? Thorns?
Spell reads, "Cleanses the body of all toxins, drugs (including alcohol), disease, impurities, parasites or possessing forces, and the character feels fully rested, refreshed, and totally clean. All symptoms, effects, penalties and potential future damage instantly stops and the cause is eliminated. (is this the same as Psychic Purification?)"

Say, I thought something I asked the magic thread. Can the Petrification spell be used to stop a patient from dying by turning them to stone (like inducing a coma or suspended animation)? They they mend stone or carry the stone to hospital or bring a healer to the statue?

• 1. Ah, the spell version is actually more powerful than the psionic power, as it will indicate all 3 of those (but not details about illnesses or injuries). Still, it could be useful for triage purposes.
  • 2. Seems perfect. It specifically says it won't affect anything internal, but will clean off external parasites.
  • 3. Perfect use. It could also be used by a nurse or doctor examining a patient that has to be kept isolated because of airborne pathogens (wouldn't help with anything that could be absorbed in the skin, but Cleanse would help with any other toxins that could get on the surface).
  • 4. It makes it inert so that the victim doesn't take any further damage/effect, but doesn't help with pre-existing damage.
  • 5. Not sure about this one. I wouldn't give them a reroll, but if any further rolls are needed they would work. Unfortunately, I don't know if there's any main benefit to a supernatural endurance for saving against coma/death...but I would consider maybe allowing a +10% bonus to any further attempts.
  • 6. Definitely agree for the first part. For allergies, I'm not sure, as I don't think it prevents bad reactions to food per se (although if you know you're going to be in an area that relies on seafood cuisine, & you have a shellfish allergy, this would be a good preventative measure). I'm not sure about the blood loss issue...maybe not completely eliminate it, but maybe slow it down? Something like losing 1 HP every hour instead of every minute.
  • 7. As long as they're not magical, sure. Also note it doesn't work on major diseases (specifically lists AIDS & cancer; I'd add things like lupus, brain tumors, etc.). I'd also look at Fortify Against Disease (+4 save vs. viruses or magic-induced illnesses, +1 vs. toxins/poisons, & apparently prevents all bacterial infections).
  • 8. Since it says it's like Purge Self (except for use on others), & that it completely gets rid of all "foreign" objects -- including disease, bio-borg items, & even cybernetic implants (if the person wishes it) -- then yeah, it probably removes the bullets too. That would be a lot of PPE to expend, though.

I couldn't find Petrification in Book of Magic...where is that spell from? As long as the victim can be turned from stone back to flesh, it's possible, but I'd need to see the description.
darthauthor
Hero

Petrification is an Earth Warlock Spell.

Not sure if a spell caster can learn it in the traditional way.

My OPINION is that turning someone into stone (voluntarily) it ends their blood loss (while stoned). The effects of poison, disease, possession, cancer, heart attack, damage from dehydration, starvation, infection, allergic reaction, parasites, pain stops along with the need for medication (while stoned).

The whole point is to stablize the patient until they can be transported to a hospital with a doctor or psychic healer to work on them or bring the Doc/Healer to them. Why? Because they will die if the damage doesn't stop.

My opinion about healing someone whle they are stoned is that it can only be done with the original stone of the petrified person. It is almost exclusive to the Earth Warlock spell of "Mend Stone."
It can't heal diseases, poison, cancer, tumors, insanity, stroke, parasites, etc.
However, I would allow it to close wounds, restore limbs and perhaps mend broken bones

I realize I am biased about it but I wanted my players to be able to restore limbs in the field (like field surgery) but without the consequences of bionics/cybernetics.
Plus, I REALLY like it when my players come up with creative ideas and uses for magic. Its not like they were trying to do a super-kill taking out a Dragon or a 100 CS troopers. Truth is, I like the idea and I wanted it to work so I decided it would.
taalismn
Priest

green.nova343 wrote:[*]8. Since it says it's like Purge Self (except for use on others), & that it completely gets rid of all "foreign" objects -- including disease, bio-borg items, & even cybernetic implants (if the person wishes it) -- then yeah, it probably removes the bullets too. That would be a lot of PPE to expend, though..

Ah, I stand corrected. It would indeed push bullets and arrowheads out. But what about a steel girder or rocket ship nose cone impaling you?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
darthauthor
Hero

Dang, a rocket ship nose cone.

That is some old school 007 over the top ways of killing someone.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

taalismn wrote:
green.nova343 wrote:[*]8. Since it says it's like Purge Self (except for use on others), & that it completely gets rid of all "foreign" objects -- including disease, bio-borg items, & even cybernetic implants (if the person wishes it) -- then yeah, it probably removes the bullets too. That would be a lot of PPE to expend, though..

Ah, I stand corrected. It would indeed push bullets and arrowheads out. But what about a steel girder or rocket ship nose cone impaling you?

LOL, if there's an Emperor Ming situation going on, I think the character probably has a lot more to worry about than just getting that large of an object out of their body. The spell description says it gets the object out...but does nothing for any damage the object caused previously. So it'll remove the nosecone, but they'll still have a huge hole in their body.

*cue the Rainier Wolfcastle voice" "The goggles, they do nothing!"
darthauthor
Hero

Rainier Wolfcastle voice" "The goggles, they do nothing!"

I had to Google that one.

If I go DEEP medical in my adventure session I have to make it for one player or find a way to work in the others.

I also need to work out a way for it to be more than just dice rolls.

Investigate the source of poison or disease.

Hold a patient down while the doc operates.

Heroes defend from attack will treating patient.

Players treat different wounds on patient or each has different patients.

I even radically thought of turning it into a fight where the doctor metaphorically fought the disease, illness or wound like it was melee combat. It may not be a good idea but a bad one is on the road to the beginning of good ones. Plus a bad one is better than none at all.
taalismn
Priest

darthauthor wrote:R

I even radically thought of turning it into a fight where the doctor metaphorically fought the disease, illness or wound like it was melee combat. It may not be a good idea but a bad one is on the road to the beginning of good ones. Plus a bad one is better than none at all.

That's actually pretty good; especially if the illness is a sentient/psychic bacteria. Medicine doesn't completely cure it, it has to be forced out by strength of will and skill, like an exorcism.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”