Lunar Cycle Effects on Magic / PPE / Rifts

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Lunar Cycle Effects on Magic / PPE / Rifts

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Over the last few years I have been updating my GM notes that I use for running games. No joke some of my notes are hand written and I've been using them for more than 25 years.

In my notes I have magical effects for the lunar cycle but I can find no references to it in any of the books leading me to believe that it is an error or a house rule or I am just looking in the wrong place.

Simple question: Are there any magical effects from the lunar cycle like we see for equinoxes, solstices, and eclipses and if there is could you give me the book reference?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Lunar Cycle Effects on Magic / PPE / Rifts

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Lunar Eclipses get a mention in RUE on pg186 and 193 (or RMB pg163 or PF2E pg181-2).

As far as the Lunar Cycle like New/Full/Quater/etc stages of the Cycle, none that I can think of. IF it exists it seems like a something that would be connected with Lyncanthropes (Nightbane?).
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

ShadowLogan wrote:Lunar Eclipses get a mention in RUE on pg186 and 193 (or RMB pg163 or PF2E pg181-2).

As far as the Lunar Cycle like New/Full/Quater/etc stages of the Cycle, none that I can think of. IF it exists it seems like a something that would be connected with Lyncanthropes (Nightbane?).

Thank you. That's what I was finding but I miss things every now and then.

Still hard for me to believe that the lunar cycle does nothing for magic.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Warshield73 wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Lunar Eclipses get a mention in RUE on pg186 and 193 (or RMB pg163 or PF2E pg181-2).

Thank you. That's what I was finding but I miss things every now and then.

Still hard for me to believe that the lunar cycle does nothing for magic.

The only other thing that comes to mind might be related to specific spell/ritual requirements (ex. Ritual "Create Zombie" requires a night of a full moon per the description) or for specific creatures (ex. Zenith Moon Wrapers in WB12/30 in Rifts gain a power boost in the full moon).

Actually I can see the lunar cycle not being that big for general magic (obviously specific cases exist as noted above), it IMHO would fall under "planetary alignments" category. If only for simplicity for a few reasons as presented it would result in geocentric thinking (and would have to be adjusted for new locations like in PW or Palladium World, etc). It's also important to consider that if Lunar "Phases" have an impact in general on magic, would other bodies that display "phases" relative to Earth/location (ex. Venus) also have to be factored in.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

ShadowLogan wrote:The only other thing that comes to mind might be related to specific spell/ritual requirements (ex. Ritual "Create Zombie" requires a night of a full moon per the description) or for specific creatures (ex. Zenith Moon Wrapers in WB12/30 in Rifts gain a power boost in the full moon).

One of the reasons I am doing this is I am trying to figure things out for other worlds and dimensions. So in a pocket dimension with no moon or a planet with no moon does that mean the create zombie ritual will not work? I have actually ruled in the past that no it would not but that's just me.

ShadowLogan wrote:Actually I can see the lunar cycle not being that big for general magic (obviously specific cases exist as noted above), it IMHO would fall under "planetary alignments" category. If only for simplicity for a few reasons as presented it would result in geocentric thinking (and would have to be adjusted for new locations like in PW or Palladium World, etc). It's also important to consider that if Lunar "Phases" have an impact in general on magic, would other bodies that display "phases" relative to Earth/location (ex. Venus) also have to be factored in.

I don't think it qualifies for a planetary alignment but could be wrong.

Since you bring up other worlds and dimensions I wonder how a kit of these moments of increased magical energy work in Pocket dimensions without seasons or even on moons that would not have equinoxes and solstices.

Thanks for your help

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”