are there ways to copy OCC magic powers?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

are there ways to copy OCC magic powers?

Unread post by Axelmania »

I was wondering if there was a spell or ability out there capable of doing this without actually changing to the class.

The only one I can remember is "Duplicate OCC level of Follower" from Dragons and Gods (pg 143)

Necromancers can steal "magic powers" (doesn't specify natural-only so perhaps OCC) by wearing the skull of a demon, but only temporarily (5 min per level, not sure if a permanence ward could make that indefinite)
ManDrakeTWise
D-Bee

Re: are there ways to copy OCC magic powers?

Unread post by ManDrakeTWise »

Axelmania wrote:I was wondering if there was a spell or ability out there capable of doing this without actually changing to the class.

The only one I can remember is "Duplicate OCC level of Follower" from Dragons and Gods (pg 143)

Necromancers can steal "magic powers" (doesn't specify natural-only so perhaps OCC) by wearing the skull of a demon, but only temporarily (5 min per level, not sure if a permanence ward could make that indefinite)

It's mostly restricted to the Necromancer style attachments, consuming body parts of the dead or spells like Mictalantecutli's Command. The only thing I can think of beyond that are Rifter things. In Rifter #15, there is a Shifter spell called Soul Steal (p. 103), that basically is a long drawn out ritual that allows a human to absorb some/all the powers of a supernatural creature. It basically turns them into greater supernatural being as a result and some random number of magical powers from the creature you absorbed from. It causes a massive negative aura that psychics can detect and such. Also a chance of random mutations in the process to cause negative results.

There is also the suggestion of something like that coming the Lazlo has a developed a new kind of magic items that can amplify or reproduce some class specific powers. In Rifter #83 the Ley Line Ring, will boost the powers of a Ley Line Walker, and if you aren't one it will give some of the class specific powers. There are no specifications on the methodology that they are using to reproduce the powers. But it suggests that in a future release we should be getting a whole new class of magical items.

Finally in theory a techno-wizard device could be created to do something similar. Beyond that, you might be able to twist the Borrow Power superpower to include magical abilities if you had a super generous GM, but for even shorter periods of time. And the Copy Energy power suggests that it can copy magical combat attacks, but nothing to suggest anything beyond that really. Then there are really crazy things like nailing yourself to Yggdrasil, but it does give you necromancer, temporal wizard, ley line walker OCC magical powers. Of course, the high chance of instant death is a factor.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”