What Palladium books delve into the metaphysics of magic?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

What Palladium books delve into the metaphysics of magic?

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I'm not talking about core books like Palladium Fantasy or Nightbane or BtS going through the basics of the magic system. Nor am I looking at books that just introduce new OCCs or variant magic. I'm looking for books that go under the hood, books that try to build magic as an actual, real thing in the campaign world.

I'll lead with the examples I'm aware of: Mysteries of Magic 1 for PFRPG and Through the Glass Darkly for NB. While these are setting-specific, they both delve deeply into the theory and practice of magic as a force in their respective campaign worlds. In broad strokes, they don't even contradict each other too much.

The BtS1 core book had a smaller, but still interesting, discussion focusing on ley lines, nexi, and places of power. Fun fact: reading this as a teenager was while my groups of SCAdian tourists in England visited Avesbury in '08.

What other books delve into the metaphysics like these?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: What Palladium books delve into the metaphysics of magic

Unread post by Glistam »

I think Rifts: Federation of Magic had a lot to say about magic as a force in the world, and I believe the Coalition War Campaign books also talk about it, but how much or which ones in particular escapes me for the moment.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

In writing Mysteries of Magic, I relied heavily on Through the Glass Darkly and Beyond the Supernatural 1. I am not sure how much of the manuscript made it into the book.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Mark Hall wrote:In writing Mysteries of Magic, I relied heavily on Through the Glass Darkly and Beyond the Supernatural 1. I am not sure how much of the manuscript made it into the book.

You've mentioned the latter several times here and elsewhere. I'd donate a thumb for a read-through of that manuscript; I am fascinated with seeing the before and after products.

(Stop looking at me like that; it's not *my* thumb. Oh, you meant the manuscript. I'm aware I can't; it's a violation of copywrite/NDA/contract/etc. I'm OK with that.)
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

If you look at Rifts, it is essentially scientific magic.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”