Dragon with a pyramid

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Dragon with a pyramid

Unread post by Library Ogre »

So, just a thought exercise:

A dragon hatches and is immediately put in a pyramid on a ley line nexus. They live their life there, sleep there more than 90% of nights, but they travel around during the day.

How long does it take them to reach maturity?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Dragon with a pyramid

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

WB2 and DB15 only specifically mention that True Atlanteans get an effect from sleeping within a pyramid, and even then the removal of stress and fatigue leaves them "physically rejuvenated to such a degree that they remain youthful in appearance." WB32 states "(t)he power of the stone pyramids is said to increase the average lifespan of those who sleep under and within them, and that feature also applies to the Garden."

Looking at the three sources I'd say affected beings age normally until their physical prime, which for T.A. and Lemurians seems at most a couple of years later than baseline humans, and for dragons would presumably be in adulthood. If a given game wants to have perma-toddlers from the fall of Atlantis, and can find a non-creepy way to present that, then preventing any aging could be cool.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Dragons are Creatures of Magic. As such they are effected differently than their effects that are on mortals. Maybe they would reach maturity earlier due to an accelerated maturation process. But that would shorten their lives by the same % amount.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I would consider the maturation process and aging process to be different things. One is a programmed growth, the other is arguably just a breakdown caused by a lack of programmed repairs.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

The thought is cruel...the dragon would live an eternity...isolating the puir wee bairn like that!
Even if (s)he lived a perfectly normal life, it would SEEM to be eternal!

Seriously though...the maturation process would likely not change much, if at all.
Given the nature of the beast, the effect would either shorten it's lifespan (think lighting a candle at both ends)...OR, the beastie would live long enough to make an immortal jealous! ;)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

IMHO, the dragon hatchling mature naturally - reaching maturity at an age of 400 - 600 years. Then their aging would slow and would at least double or triple their live span from 10000 - 30000 years :-o :-).
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I'm going with 'ages normally' because Dragons are Creatures of Magic. Once they reach maturity, then you start seeing a slowdown of age deterioration.
Hell, hatchling might acquire a few extra dice of PPE from doing all that sleeping in a high ambient PPE field.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I don't imagine it takes any longer for True Atlanteans to reach adulthood if they are raised inside pyramids. The damage which reduces lifespan/health we know of as aging is slowed by the rejuvenation but not AFAIK other biological processes.

The problem I think is that we don't classically think of maturation/aging as different things, but the distinction becomes more apparent when we define them more specifically.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”