Alchemists and faeries as power sources

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Alchemists and faeries as power sources

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

I am wondering if an alchemist can use a living faerie to power something? I know they they have fae batteries in rifts, but that's Rifts. I am wanting something for PFRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Alchemists and faeries as power sources

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

-The simple answer is yes.

-The complex answer is that non-evil alchemists will not use them. They might ask for their help.

-Then again there are people who think themselves good even though they abuse other people w/o a thought who might not consider faeries as people.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

In theory, yes. In practice, I tend to view Palladium World as a bit of a backwater; they're only now coming out of the magical dark ages caused by the Millennium of Purification, and they don't have a technological base to suggest the idea of a battery as clearly, so the idea of "Let's capture a faerie and repeatedly drain it of magical energies" is less obvious.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Mark Hall wrote:In theory, yes. In practice, I tend to view Palladium World as a bit of a backwater; they're only now coming out of the magical dark ages caused by the Millennium of Purification, and they don't have a technological base to suggest the idea of a battery as clearly, so the idea of "Let's capture a faerie and repeatedly drain it of magical energies" is less obvious.

the idea of taking PPE from others, on the other hand, is quite common...
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Shark_Force wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:In theory, yes. In practice, I tend to view Palladium World as a bit of a backwater; they're only now coming out of the magical dark ages caused by the Millennium of Purification, and they don't have a technological base to suggest the idea of a battery as clearly, so the idea of "Let's capture a faerie and repeatedly drain it of magical energies" is less obvious.

Sure, by blood sacrifice. Borrowing PPE is much less effective without a ritual (since you get so little from average people, and nothing from magic-users, who have a lot of PPE).

I don't see the folks of Palladium World necessarily making the jump to faerie batteries.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Actually, I wanted it for a bad guys power staff to channel the power from.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Well, there used to be bio-wizards on the Palladium World, so I would bet that at some point these bio-wizards created at least some of the same (or similar) bio-wizardry items that they do in Rifts. Faerie-powered weapons and batteries like the ones in Rifts I reckon would have existed. But the knowledge to create them was destroyed during the Millennium of Purification. The knowledge of their very existence may well also have been lost. Any attempt to recreate them now would be the same as most other lost magic from the war - some people will do anything to get it; some people will do anything to stop it - an adventure hook! Bio-wizardry is the path to making rune weapons, so I don't think it could be just left as something simple like "this alchemist knows how to do it". The repercussions from the use or attempted use of this magic would need to be played out. Hope that helps.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Mark Hall wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

Sure, by blood sacrifice. Borrowing PPE is much less effective without a ritual (since you get so little from average people, and nothing from magic-users, who have a lot of PPE).

I don't see the folks of Palladium World necessarily making the jump to faerie batteries.

eh, you get nothing from a mage unless they're willing. making a jump to specifically faerie batteries (as opposed to batteries powered by some other thing) is perhaps not an automatic jump. but they've been using living PPE batteries for millenia... they're called apprentices ;)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Shark_Force wrote:eh, you get nothing from a mage unless they're willing. making a jump to specifically faerie batteries (as opposed to batteries powered by some other thing) is perhaps not an automatic jump. but they've been using living PPE batteries for millenia... they're called apprentices ;)

"You want earn your keep around here, boy? You work regular and you give regular! Want to see how I do this spell? Open your soul and give me some of that excess energy you waste chasing girls down in the village! Oh don't worry, you won't miss an ounce of it, given your success! You watch what I do with that energy! You might actually learn something from it!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

ShadowHawk wrote:Actually, I wanted it for a bad guys power staff to channel the power from.

Then give it to the bad guy, but make it something that cannot be replicated.
Maybe he found an old time with the formula and commissioned its creation from an alchemist, then killed the creator to ensure it was unique. Or maybe he found it in a hidden cache and took advantage of the unique opportunity.
Regardless of the explanation, your bad guy gets a cool item without having to explain the creation process or unbalance your game.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

taalismn wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:eh, you get nothing from a mage unless they're willing. making a jump to specifically faerie batteries (as opposed to batteries powered by some other thing) is perhaps not an automatic jump. but they've been using living PPE batteries for millenia... they're called apprentices ;)

"You want earn your keep around here, boy? You work regular and you give regular! Want to see how I do this spell? Open your soul and give me some of that excess energy you waste chasing girls down in the village! Oh don't worry, you won't miss an ounce of it, given your success! You watch what I do with that energy! You might actually learn something from it!"

Thus the master passes on his knowledge while ensuring the student is too weak to be a problem.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

ShadowHawk wrote:Actually, I wanted it for a bad guys power staff to channel the power from.

Any reason the guy couldn't have gotten it off world? (ie a visit to Rifts Atlantis or some other world/dimension)

Could a Millennium Tree (regular or corrupted) achieve the same end of providing a self-recharging PPE source? This might be more practical than going the Bio-Wizard Route. Another option is a race created during the war with the Old Ones that could function as PPE batteries or something like the Necrol in PW setting (organic technology).

In theory the Palladium World wizards have been making PPE Batteries for ages via one application of the Talisman creation process (the other is imparting 3 spells) that they can recharge. Really the only thing they are missing is the leap to "self-re-charging" PPE Batteries. Though they also have spells per day magic items that renews itself (Alchemist) and Rune Weapons to inspire them, so the leap isn't impossible its just working out the self-recharging PPE aspect.
Omnibane
D-Bee

Unread post by Omnibane »

You have to consider to start doing alchemy the npc has to be a lvl 15 multi classed caster with summoner and diabolist being in there, while possible for a summoner to be good it's very rare from the nature.

Also I personally don't see any reason an alchemist wouldn't at least moonlight as multiverse traveler atleast to atlantis and such for materials
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Omnibane wrote:You have to consider to start doing alchemy the npc has to be a lvl 15 multi classed caster with summoner and diabolist being in there, while possible for a summoner to be good it's very rare from the nature.

Also I personally don't see any reason an alchemist wouldn't at least moonlight as multiverse traveler at least to atlantis and such for materials

If said Alchemist was a D-traveler that would be possible. It is just that in atlantis the alchemist might be mistaken as a probate to be sold also.

However, most alchemists don't travel between realms of reality because they don't all have one of two spells needed to do so, or are not adults yet.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”