Spells of Legend in a TW Device

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Spells of Legend in a TW Device

Unread post by dragonfett »

If a Techno-Wizard were to learn a Spell of Legend and wanted to incorporate it into a device, could they?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Spells of Legend in a TW Device

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Sure, but it would be expensive.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I'd make it the equivalent of a Manhattan Project, as privately financed.
And the Wizard who successfully incorporated a Spell of Legend into a creation? They've either set themselves up as a Wizard of Legend and/or a SOL target for anybody craving their secrets.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

taalismn wrote:I'd make it the equivalent of a Manhattan Project, as privately financed.
And the Wizard who successfully incorporated a Spell of Legend into a creation? They've either set themselves up as a Wizard of Legend and/or a SOL target for anybody craving their secrets.

^this^
I would also openly laugh at a player who tried to argue that it should be just a regular normal device.

Just like I laugh at players who suggest super devices that abuse the heck out of the 'extra carats' rule to let them make toys that cast amazingly powerful effects for trivial amounts of PPE, and that cost next to nothing to make.

I then point out that their claims of "but the rules say it is legal" are false. There are no "rules" for TW construction. There are some guidelines in the RUE book that present a basic template that can be used as a base for individual items to be based off of... but there are no such thing as 'rules' on TW so the refuge of the rules lawyer is useless. Every device is a one of a kind collaboration between the player and the GM and they will have costs, effects, requirements and the rest based on what, in the GMs sole opinion, is best for that particular game.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

taalismn wrote:I'd make it the equivalent of a Manhattan Project, as privately financed.

Agreed.

Of course, if a GM allowed a TW to learn a Spell of Legend in the first place...
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

dragonfett wrote:If a Techno-Wizard were to learn a Spell of Legend and wanted to incorporate it into a device, could they?

Could they? Yes they can learn it, it is basically a spell/ritual and those can be learned. Nothing indicates they can not put a given spell/ritual they learned into a TW device so yes they could incorporate it.

Now here is the hard part, if using the TW Creation Rules in RUE, what GEM is required for a given SoL? Because at a quick glance none of the BoM SoLs appear in the RUE gem list.

So now the TW has a SoL in their repertoire, but they don't know how to go about putting it into an actual TW device (need appropriate gem). This means they have to figure out what Gem to use with regard to the SoL in a TW Device.

As a spell caster they can still cast it outside of a device, but they do so with penalties unless they have a suitable item to "focus" it through.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would put out that what rules that there are in RUE for TW device cration only work with spells with numeral spell levels. As such those spells which have a spell level of 'spell of ledgend' can not be used with the RUE TWDC rules.

However, I do ageee with the others that the planing, physical, time and PPE costs would be on a scale that a individual TW could not do the planing, collect the physical componets, and put the time & PPE into make such a device alone.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mack wrote:

Agreed.

Of course, if a GM allowed a TW to learn a Spell of Legend in the first place...

There's no need for the TW to learn it, it's enough to work closely with someone who knows it, but there is a penatly for this.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

For the record I would personally say that a Spell of Legend would count as a level 20 or 30 spell for purposes of being put in a device.
And I would probably not allow it to have the costs reduced by simply adding in new gems. Instead I would require an entire set of gems to be added for each one carat reduction...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

I might take a different route. Insist that it's built per the normal TW rules, but it's only a one-time use device (normally one-time use devices get greatly reduced build requirements). All the gems & components are burned out when activated.

For story telling purposes, I like the element that creates. It becomes a wicked expensive, one-time, powerful mcgruffin.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Mack wrote:I might take a different route. Insist that it's built per the normal TW rules, but it's only a one-time use device (normally one-time use devices get greatly reduced build requirements). All the gems & components are burned out when activated.

For story telling purposes, I like the element that creates. It becomes a wicked expensive, one-time, powerful mcgruffin.

I would look at each proposal as a unique story element and go from there.
Like any TW device there are no rules, just guide lines and with a Spell of Legend this becomes even more true.
So I would look at what the spell is, what the item they want is and why they want it and what they want to do with it and go from there.
Just like I simply point blank refuse to allow 1 PPE Mend the Broken guns I would not allow something like "An long range cannon that shoots warrior horde spells" as that isn't anything that is productive to a game. A TW device that can make clones though, that has possibilities and I would be open to discussing with a player how to make a TW clone chamber... for a price.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Mack wrote:I might take a different route. Insist that it's built per the normal TW rules, but it's only a one-time use device (normally one-time use devices get greatly reduced build requirements). All the gems & components are burned out when activated.

I have no problem with it being used as a disposable device.

But here is the hang-up... What Gem corresponds to the Spell of Legend being used*? Ex. Bob the TW has access to the SoL "Barrier of Toth" (picked at random), which Gem would he use? BoT isn't on the TW Gem/Spell list.

By the guideline/rules it might just be easier for Bob the TW to mimic a SoL in a device via a spell chain of other spells than to use a SoL itself.

*I am going off the Wizard Invocation Spell List, Specialty magic (ex. Ocean, or Necromancy) would seem to be covered by their TW Gem list already as those specialty magics only use 2 gem types with no distinction on what gets used for respective spells.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. For the record, a Spell of Legend should work with a TW Device without too much issue. The problem with Spells of Legend is not that they fall under special rules, but that they're so rare that people aren't sure if they exist or are just a myth (i.e. a "legend"). When they are learned, their power level is between 11-15. The exact level would depend on the spell and a G.M. judgment.

Figuring out the gem could be tricky, but could probably be deduced with minimal effort. So Metamorphosis Dragon is likely Alexandrite as that's where all the Metamorphosis spells fall, but that's not 100% guaranteed (but a G.M. should probably have a good reason for making it a different gem other than just being difficult "cuz"). If a G.M. wants to make a Spell of Legend difficult to incorporate, then they shouldn't be handing out Spells of Legend in the first place (as they're designed to be so extraordinarily rare and unheard of).

And in case someone is wondering about the basis for my claims ...

Rifts Ultimate Edition, page 189 has the spell casting times for Spells of Legend being equal to levels 11-15. That's not much proof, but when combined with the Palladium Fantasy Second Edition reference about Anti-Magic Cloud on page 210, we get more information.

Those who are ignorant of the great old magicks insist this one time Spell of Legend never exist ...
Note: The anti-magic cloud is no longer classified as a spell of Legend, because its existence has been verified and in the last decade, been reintroduced to the world.

This tells us that Anti-Magic Cloud was a Spell of Legend (also how it was listed in PF1). After the spell was confirmed to exist, and people began to learn it, it is now classified as a Level 11 spell (we see how that happened in PF2). Per the TW creation rules (RUE), it can be placed into a TW device without any special rules.

So the hard part should be gaining access to legends in the first place, not incorporating what you already have access to into what you already have access to. That's my take on the matter (based on various information from the books). Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

ShadowLogan wrote:But here is the hang-up... What Gem corresponds to the Spell of Legend being used*? Ex. Bob the TW has access to the SoL "Barrier of Toth" (picked at random), which Gem would he use? BoT isn't on the TW Gem/Spell list.

Greetings and Salutations. The TW Gem/Spell list though follows a pattern, with similar spells using the same type of gem. Barrier of Thoth could be tricky, but I think something that could probably be figured out in just a few tries.

Diamond seems a high chance. It has Impenetrable Wall of Force, Invincible Armor, Invulnerability (which grants immunity to energy attacks), and Wall of Defense (which also halts energy and magic attacks). Walls with structure that can be damaged as well as built-in resistances.

Sapphire (Black) is another good pick. Null Sphere (can halt magic entering its sphere) and Shadow Wall (a defensive wall, but not quite as protective as the Diamond based walls) could help represent many of the abilities. These are also higher level spells which might be fitting for a Spell of Legend (Level 11-15). I think Diamond is more likely, but this is my second attempt.

After that I'm falling back to Lapis Lazuli, and then Quartz (Ruby), but I'm skeptical either of those are a better fit than the above two. If it wasn't the first two (even more so if none of the four), I'd actually be quite curious to the G.M.'s reasoning beyond a desire to make it unnecessarily complicated after s/he realized s/he shouldn't have given me access to the Spell of Legend in the first place.

Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

ShadowLogan wrote:But here is the hang-up... What Gem corresponds to the Spell of Legend being used*? Ex. Bob the TW has access to the SoL "Barrier of Toth" (picked at random), which Gem would he use? BoT isn't on the TW Gem/Spell list.

Agreed. Like Prysus alluded to, it's a GM call which is best informed by looking a similar spells, unless.... a GM could get a little wacky and invent a unique, hard to find gem that requires its own adventure.

"You must find 3 carats of Bjork shards... which only grows under the toenails of hibernating dragons..."

But, yea. A GM call based on similar spells.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

@Mack & Prysus
I agree that a GM can work out something to include the various SoLs in the TW Gem List (probably also applies to Stone Master Gem Powers), but such a thing isn't going to be standardized. Which was my point.

Granted I'm not sure a TW needs access to this level of spells, they should be able to duplicate the spells (or come close to it) via spell chains in their TW device.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Prysus wrote:Rifts Ultimate Edition, page 189 has the spell casting times for Spells of Legend being equal to levels 11-15.

Based on that I'm thinking a "treat as level 15 until otherwise known" policy might make sense, although 20 is also appealing because easier math.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Possible: yes
Requirements: unbelievable. :lol:
Gem: exotic and rare like the gem used in the Ring of Elders. :twisted:
Makes character a target: yes :twisted:
Time: lots :mrgreen: .
PPE: enormous :wink:

So as a GM I can laugh and have lots of ideas for new campains :twisted:
Last edited by Ice Dragon on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. For the record, a Spell of Legend should work with a TW Device without too much issue. The problem with Spells of Legend is not that they fall under special rules, but that they're so rare that people aren't sure if they exist or are just a myth (i.e. a "legend"). When they are learned, their power level is between 11-15. The exact level would depend on the spell and a G.M. judgment.

Figuring out the gem could be tricky, but could probably be deduced with minimal effort. So Metamorphosis Dragon is likely Alexandrite as that's where all the Metamorphosis spells fall, but that's not 100% guaranteed (but a G.M. should probably have a good reason for making it a different gem other than just being difficult "cuz"). If a G.M. wants to make a Spell of Legend difficult to incorporate, then they shouldn't be handing out Spells of Legend in the first place (as they're designed to be so extraordinarily rare and unheard of).

Rifts Ultimate Edition, page 189 has the spell casting times for Spells of Legend being equal to levels 11-15. That's not much proof, but when combined with the Palladium Fantasy Second Edition reference about Anti-Magic Cloud on page 210, we get more information.

Those who are ignorant of the great old magicks insist this one time Spell of Legend never exist ...
Note: The anti-magic cloud is no longer classified as a spell of Legend, because its existence has been verified and in the last decade, been reintroduced to the world.

This tells us that Anti-Magic Cloud was a Spell of Legend (also how it was listed in PF1). After the spell was confirmed to exist, and people began to learn it, it is now classified as a Level 11 spell (we see how that happened in PF2). Per the TW creation rules (RUE), it can be placed into a TW device without any special rules.

So the hard part should be gaining access to legends in the first place, not incorporating what you already have access to into what you already have access to. That's my take on the matter (based on various information from the books). Farewell and safe journeys.

To further support this point, the Fleet Feet spell on page 9 of the High Seas book for PFRPG states that its popularity and commonness are what makes it a level 6 spell.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Doesn't heart of magic give LONGER casting times for spells of legend than level 15 spells though?

I think that means until they actually assign it a lower level, you should functionally treat it as at least level 16.

Maybe even 17 since XP tables technically do tell you what you need to get to 16 so people could claim they learn a SOL unless you make them 17
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

@ axe
To your non-sequitur question,
Which game are you playing? Rifts or Palladium Fantasy? Answer that question and that tells you which set of rules to follow for how long the incantations for the spells take.
It is a simple concept.
--------------
To your on topic remarks,
The GM of the game being played sets the Level of Spell for the TW equations for any SoL TW magic items. Not anything else.
Why this⇡, because making SoL TW magic items are outside the published rules and GMs get to make this sort of ruling for their games.

➣Does this mean that the Level will not be 'the same' across the board? Yep, that is part of the game. Live with it.
➢Does this mean that you as a player will have to wait till you are 'in game' for your char to build that SoL TW magic item? Yes it does. Because those type of magic items tend to turn out to be McGuffins. Ether in the getting the stuff to make them or in chase to get them back once they have been stollen.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Mack wrote:
"You must find 3 carats of Bjork shards... which only grows under the toenails of hibernating dragons..."

I'm shamelessly stealing this, Mack. Thank you.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Personally treat as very complex on TW creation at least 9 or 10 Difficultly just for standard can't make any mods on the until at least done the basic. But that just me. Also I always though for some reason they where 20 level spells but can't seem to find anything supporting this.
mathygreen
Newb

Unread post by mathygreen »

think this should work

MOD EDIT - Topic Locked for raising a discussion that's a year old. Mack

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”