Expel Demons / Banishment

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

hup7
Wanderer

Expel Demons / Banishment

Unread post by hup7 »

"The spell caster is able to repel all lesser demons and other lesser supernatural beings, forcing them to leave the area and not return for at least one hour (roll 1d6 hours)." BoM p120 Note: range is 10 foot area per level.

"A useful invocation for controlling supernatural beings is Banishment. The magic forces one lesser supernatural being/demon, per experience level of the spell caster, to leave the immediate area (600 feet / 183 m radius). The creature(s) can not return for at least two weeks per level of the spell caster' s experience." BoM p132

Both cause demons to "leave" a relatively small area but my question is: Do they physically leave, like walk away? Are they teleported out of the area?

Can people inside the area just range attack them?

What happens if they cannot physically leave the area? What happens if it is dangerous / deadly for them to leave the area?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Expel Demons / Banishment

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

1: Either. They can leave physically or they can teleport, but they must leave
2: Yes, you can just attack them from within the area. Of course, nothing says they have to stick around 600 feet away where you can shoot at them: they can just keep going out of range under their own will.
3: They have to stop what they're doing and try to leave anyway. even if it's dangerous they still have to leave.

Mind, the vast majority of demons have natural teleport abilities, so they're not likely to ever be stuck that way, they can usually just dimensionally teleport back to whatever hell they came from and will do so if they have no other option.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

I see it as up to the GM to "decide" how they leave.

IF you think of the Demons as intelligent then they would probably "leave" in the easiest way possible for them. Teleporting "home" is one way "but" if they have business on Rifts Earth or wherever it may be enough for them to just "run" at top speed and after they leave the area of effect for the spell go about their business.

I imagine, if I were a demon guard or attacker, and I had be "forced" to leave the area, after I left I would inform someone in my organization, IF I cared. If I didn't I'd probably just take off.
Depending on how the caster or characters in the area of influcence treated me I might feel vengful and throw rocks at them.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

darthauthor wrote:I see it as up to the GM to "decide" how they leave.
Depending on how the caster or characters in the area of influcence treated me I might feel vengful and throw rocks at them.

Throw rocks... throw trees... grab a passing villager, squeeze the gunk out of them, and throw the gunk... then throw the villager.

These are demons and, as creatures of instinct, should act as such.

How dare that tiny pipsqueak banish Grooooar the Insolent!? Let the pipsqueak come out here and face the wrath of Grooooar! Then again, Grooooar is hungry and there's a hotdog stand down the road... let's put a pin in that wrath for now... How dare that tiny pipsqueak put mustard on Groooar's hotdog... etc.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”