Psionics Disruption or Cancellation

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shamrock 'Slinger
Wanderer

Psionics Disruption or Cancellation

Unread post by Shamrock 'Slinger »

Besides being in proximity of a Nega-Psychic, there hasn't been a printed spell or ability to either disrupt it or be invulnerable to a psionic attack?

I haven't checked any Rifters since I don't have most of them, but nothing I could see in Rifts worldbooks or sourcebooks. As well as the Book of Magic. I've seen spells that cancel spells or create an area effect like the Anti Magic Cloud, but nothing for psionics.

Thanks in advance!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Psionics Disruption or Cancellation

Unread post by Glistam »

Nightbane Between the Shadows has a psionic power to break through and disrupt mind blocks. But that's it in canon afaik.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The Null Psiborg from the Rifts Mindwerks sourcebook has a disruption ability, as does the Sea Inquisitor from Rifts Underseas. Powers Unlimited 1 has the Minor Power: Immune to Psionics. Each of these are limited in different ways. An even more specific immunity is the Mind Bleeder power Impervious to Bio-Manipulation.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Shamrock 'Slinger wrote:Besides being in proximity of a Nega-Psychic, there hasn't been a printed spell or ability to either disrupt it or be invulnerable to a psionic attack?

I haven't checked any Rifters since I don't have most of them, but nothing I could see in Rifts worldbooks or sourcebooks. As well as the Book of Magic. I've seen spells that cancel spells or create an area effect like the Anti Magic Cloud, but nothing for psionics.

Thanks in advance!

Robots, golems, and other creatures that don't technically have a mind are impervious to most psionics.
Full Conversion Borgs are pretty impervious, IIRC.
I think the Advanced Crazies in Mutants In Orbit are impervious to psionics.
A high enough save bonus can render you effectively impervious to a LOT of stuff.
There's a TW Mind Block Helmet (or something like that).
That's all that comes to mind off the cuff.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
psiandco
Explorer

Unread post by psiandco »

Didn't I just get chewed over "Group Mind Block"?
it isn't a spell, but it does to ALL psionics what Anti-magic cloud does to mages.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=183934

It can't be stopped, blocked, ignored, other powers don't trump it...
Group mind block...

The hugest pile of BULLSH rules I have ever read. As crimson comando noticed, the text of it makes everyone BLIND, DEAF, NUMB, and immune to communication...
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

...if you read it blindly and don't acknowledge the intent rather than the exact wording. I don't know a single GM who does that or would even consider it working that way.
psiandco
Explorer

Unread post by psiandco »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:...if you read it blindly and don't acknowledge the intent rather than the exact wording. I don't know a single GM who does that or would even consider it working that way.

...it is a grade school thing; You can **WANT** people to understand you, or you can be understood.

Rules as written- therefore trumps rules as intended. This is why other game companies have errata, reprints, and new editions.
I personally do not give a **** if K.S. "can't breathe" because the rules are "too tight"...

Good writing- speaks up for itself...
Bad writing- everyone else speaks about it.
I just bought some Palladium books and I absolutely regret it.

All of Palladium needs a modern, rewrite, but to keep the commitment of refusing any of the woke garbage that plague other games!

Seriously, If you can; drop trou, stare at your junk for a while, and still not know what the F*** you are.... That's a whole new kind of stupid. :lol: 8-)

----MOD EDIT--- This kind of rant doesn't contribute to the conversation at hand, and isn't appropriate for this message board. Mack
Shamrock 'Slinger
Wanderer

The Null Psiborg had some pretty cool features.

I guess I'm particularly looking for a way to stop psionics from occurring in an area completely or not be affected by psionic attacks that aren't mind oriented. In my case, I'm trying to provide a challenge for a psi-slinger in the party. He's technically a gun master from the China book reflavored for New West, so he's able to use ISP to convert sdc bullets into mdc attacks. Having chosen 15mm rifle, he's able to do deal a ton of damage. This isn't to take away he ability, but provide a challenge for the encounter level, keep him on his toes. So far, I have really seen anything.

Most magic spells are also just impervious to energy and not kinetics, which is partially what his attacks would be and I guess powered by psionics.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Shamrock 'Slinger wrote:The Null Psiborg had some pretty cool features.

I guess I'm particularly looking for a way to stop psionics from occurring in an area completely or not be affected by psionic attacks that aren't mind oriented. In my case, I'm trying to provide a challenge for a psi-slinger in the party. He's technically a gun master from the China book reflavored for New West, so he's able to use ISP to convert sdc bullets into mdc attacks. Having chosen 15mm rifle, he's able to do deal a ton of damage. This isn't to take away he ability, but provide a challenge for the encounter level, keep him on his toes. So far, I have really seen anything.

Most magic spells are also just impervious to energy and not kinetics, which is partially what his attacks would be and I guess powered by psionics.

Group mind block should achieve what you are after. It prevents all psychics within its range from using any psionic abilities.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I could see Gizmoteers from New Babylon creating a item which emits a Group Mind Block. A few sources have rechargeable TW "grenades", which perhaps if fired via a telekinetic mortar would make the device viable at further than throwing range. Alternatively some sort of ectoplasmic adhesive could serve as a way to center the field on a moving target.

SA2 was written before RUE, and so the item creation method is entirely handwaved. Using the RUE TW rules an item at level 1 strength would have a 10 minute duration and be rather cheap.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Apparently, by Soldier of Od's house rule, (since his rule violates the stated exceptions and states effects of GMB, PF2 core book page 174) if a character uses Group Mind Block it will make every other char's psychic powers from working. Even though the GMB power does not say it does that.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

It says it duplicates Mind Block. So it does. Your house rules still notwithstanding. The damn power even tells you that a badguy can use Group Mind block for villainous intent by doing precisely that.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There's a whole other thread to discuss what exceptions may exist for group mind block, please feel free to discuss those there.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Actually My topic was to be about what psi powers that could be used by psychic while within the AoE of a Group Mind Block because the GMB only blocks certain types of powers. But is got highjacked. I really wish I could just delete all of my posts from that topic including the OP and the title because it was HiJacked by people who couldn't see around their own preconceptions of how MB and GMB works.

Warning: This post is both off topic to this thread and is trolling. You can debate the matter civilly in the thread in question or you can ignore the posts you don't like and carry on with your day. You don't get to disrupt other threads or accuse people of hijacking your thread just because they explained the way they believe a rule works.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shamrock 'Slinger
Wanderer

Sorry for later replies for some of the answers in here.

I'm not sure if mind block or group mind block is what I'm looking for in the means of protection of psionic attacks in the sense of kinetic attacks not mind attacks. I don't meant to bring up a can of worms here with the threads that have opened around the abilities of group mind block.

I hoped to find something akin to Impervious to magic or energy but with psionic or kinetics replaced. Or cancellation in an area. It seems that protection against such attacks aren't really a thing unless it's due to a class ability or RCC maybe. Like something only vulnerable to magic attacks.

I do appreciate some of the answers here, they gave me somethings to mull over.
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

There's not really any psionic powers like that. There are some classes that have these abilities. Try the Nega-Psychic O.C.C. as one example. It's in either Mindwerks or Psyscape (I don't have my books handy and can't remember which one it was, lol).
Shamrock 'Slinger
Wanderer

It's definitely Psyscape!

Yeah, I figured I would try to see if people with a little more expanded knowledge on Palladium would have ideas.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”