Protection from banishment

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Protection from banishment

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Does anyone know of a spell, magic item or similar that would allow a demon or deevil to be immune to the Banishment ability of some rune weapons?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Protection from banishment

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

If the Rune ability works like the Spell ("Banishment", Rifts BoM pg132), then anything that can confer a bonus to save vs magic directly OR that increases the PE (which can provide a bonus to save vs magic). PF2E (pg253) does have magic jewelry that can provide a bonus (small), though I don't know of many other examples that might help

Depending on how the GM has "Banishment" work:
-"Anti-Magic Cloud", "Dispel Magic Barriers" (if it counts as a barrier)
- Another aspect to consider is what frame of reference is elapsed time of banishment measured from: the SN/CoM's perspective OR the caster OR the location. If it is the SN/CoM's perspective, they could pop off to the Astral Plane (1minute on Physical Plane = 1 Week on Astral Plane) or similar time distortion ability (ex. "Time Hole")
-if the banishment area operates as a "limited ring on the outer edge" (which means you just need to find a way to bypass) or a "everything"
-you could be "tossed" in against their will (probably still compelled to leave)
-altered states of consciousness (possession, drunk/high, sleep walking, illusions, etc) might allow the SN/CoM to not be cognizant that they are in the Banishment area.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

A circle of protection should block a banishment.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

The ability is set up a little weird. I think it is greater SN have a 88% chance to save, lesser SN 44% chance. If they fail they have a 50% chance of being banished to their home dimension. If they save they can't come within 600' of the caster.
Protection circles I plan to use, but they are not very portable.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Whiskeyjack wrote:The ability is set up a little weird. I think it is greater SN have a 88% chance to save, lesser SN 44% chance. If they fail they have a 50% chance of being banished to their home dimension. If they save they can't come within 600' of the caster.

Have the circle enscribed on a hula hoop!

:-D
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:Have the circle enscribed on a hula hoop!

That would be a humourous scene!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Anti magic cloud would protect from magical banishing. But it has its own problems.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

That's my issue. I'm looking for a spell or magic item that would offer protection from it so at least the greater demons can not be wiped out every battle before it starts. Guess I'll have to make my own.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Whiskeyjack wrote:The ability is set up a little weird. I think it is greater SN have a 88% chance to save, lesser SN 44% chance. If they fail they have a 50% chance of being banished to their home dimension. If they save they can't come within 600' of the caster.

hmm that dos not match Atlantis, the closet i could find was Expel devils and demons. The power has 89% chance to work on lesser SN and 44% to work on greater. Pg 128 rifts Atlantis.(if that is not the right power perhaps you could provide the name of the book source.)
The power works like a combination of banishment and exorcism spells so saving throw rules for those would apply.
So chance to activate then save as per spells banishment and exorcism.
Note banishment spell can only affect 1 SN per level. So if the item cast at level 4 it would only banish 4 out of the 5.

A possible draw back that the weapon may remain unusable until the SN leaves so you could loose your weapon for the fight if the greater demon saves or their are more than can be repelled.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Whiskeyjack wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Have the circle enscribed on a hula hoop!

That would be a humourous scene!

As a GM I would only allow a Lud. Mage to be able to do this. Because it is within their shtick.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Blue_Lion wrote:

hmm that dos not match Atlantis, the closet i could find was Expel devils and demons. The power has 89% chance to work on lesser SN and 44% to work on greater. Pg 128 rifts Atlantis.(if that is not the right power perhaps you could provide the name of the book source.)
The power works like a combination of banishment and exorcism spells so saving throw rules for those would apply.
Note banishment spell can only affect 1 SN per level. So if the item cast at level 4 it would only banish 4 out of the 5.

A possible draw back that the weapon may remain unusable until the SN leaves so you could loose your weapon for the fight if the greater demon saves or their are more than can be repelled.

That's what I went with for the weapon ability. The description is rather horrible stating that it is two spells combined. I missed the 1/level though. I decided to add the 50% chance from Exorcism if they fail to see if the vanish or just leave. Seemed the best way to go.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Whiskeyjack wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

That's what I went with for the weapon ability. The description is rather horrible stating that it is two spells combined. I missed the 1/level though. I decided to add the 50% chance from Exorcism if they fail to see if the vanish or just leave. Seemed the best way to go.

Exorcism is to drive possession entities out of a host. It has no affect on SN not possessing.
The possession SN have a chance of being sent to the other plane if the possession they can not take a new host after 2 attempts. (so if the demon has its own physical body this spell has no affect. For example a Balrog is not possessing a hoast so could not be affected.)
Banishment can repel 1 lesser lesser SN per level. -So greater SN can not be repelled by the effect.

Basically two different affects in one. Order of operations should look like this.
(step 1)possession SN is forced to leave host body.
(step 2)Lesser SN are forced to get 600 feet away. (up to 1 per level of caster)
(step 3) SN without a physical body has two attempts to get posses a body.
(step 4) any SN without a physical body has 52% chance to sent back to home dimension.

Note this order protects people in the area from being possessed by lesser SN.
(steps 1 and 2 could be reversed or at the same time)
Boom all issues with it hosing greater SN are now resolved.

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Yes, but the rune ability is set up to function on physical creatures, not possessed people. Which makes it weirder that they reference exorcism as being a part of the ability.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Whiskeyjack wrote:Yes, but the rune ability is set up to function on physical creatures, not possessed people. Which makes it weirder that they reference exorcism as being a part of the ability.

The rune does not say that. It says it has the affects of both but does not say that it changes the nature of the spells it is based on.

Banishment works on physical, exorcism affects possession entities. Basically how the rune affects something depends on weather or not the creature is possessing. Not that it changes the nature of the spells following how it is written up in Atlantis. -That is why you are finding it even more OP than it is you buffed it.

Atlantis PG 128 wrote: Expel devils and demons: Ratio for success is 89% against lesser foes and 44% against greater demons . The expulsion is accomplished by raising the weapon over one ' s head for all to see . Some weapons can be thrown into the air, where it hangs suspended until the demons or devils are expelled and then slowly drops back to earth. The power is basically the same as the spells banishment and exorcism combined.

Note it is a power of holy weapons.

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Where do the books give rules on demons and deevils possessing people?
Blue_Lion
Knight

Whiskeyjack wrote:Where do the books give rules on demons and deevils possessing people?

Certain species have the ability to posses. I know of no general rules for all demons.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”