Chaos Earth Type Movies

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Chaos Earth Type Movies

Unread post by Astral_Explorer »

What kind of movies do you think capture the scope of Chaos Earth ?
I have two that I can think of.

DragonHead - A Japanese Movie where the world seems to have experienced the kind of things that happened in Chaos Earth. Falling ash, volcanoe's erupting from no where, society breaking down, no one knowing quite what happened to cause the end times.

The Mist - based on Stephen Kings short story. A group of people trapped in a supermarket when things from another world/dimension pour into this world and start making short work of the community. At the end the spirit of the army returns to push back the mist ala NEMA.

Can anyone else think of other movies that fit ?
Proud Member of the Coalition States Postal Service !!!

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Re: Chaos Earth Type Movies

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Reign of Fire. A team miners open a cavern with rift in it and dragon that came through to sleep in the cavern.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

The Terminator movies, to a certain extent.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

Captain Shiva wrote:The Terminator movies, to a certain extent.

Especially the upcoming Terminator movie with Christian Bale. :eek:
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Very good ones thanks !

Almost forgot Reign of Fire !

Another I thought of is The Day After Tommorow.

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Well, i don't know if anyone would agree and while it's not a movie, i wanted to throw this in there. I always considered this to be what Rifts is (in one aspect): Thundarr the Barbarian. It's loaded with humans, D-bees and Magic. All the aspects of Rifts. (not much in Tech, but hey, no one's perfect. :lol: )
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

LOL good one, I remember that cartoon and yes it certainly had a lot of Rifts elements to it.

Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Astral_Explorer wrote:What kind of movies do you think capture the scope of Chaos Earth ?
I have two that I can think of.

DragonHead - A Japanese Movie where the world seems to have experienced the kind of things that happened in Chaos Earth. Falling ash, volcanoe's erupting from no where, society breaking down, no one knowing quite what happened to cause the end times.

The Mist - based on Stephen Kings short story. A group of people trapped in a supermarket when things from another world/dimension pour into this world and start making short work of the community. At the end the spirit of the army returns to push back the mist ala NEMA.

Can anyone else think of other movies that fit ?

Red dawn and Night of the Comet. :nuke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn
http://www.nightofthecomet.info/synopsis.html
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

The Day After, wow I remember that yes very fitting. Less on the supernatural but good with the survival themes.

The Night of the Comet kind of reminds me more of Dead Reign though seeing completely empty city scenes was cool.

I just remembered another perfect movie Damnation Alley

Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Astral_Explorer wrote:The Day After, wow I remember that yes very fitting. Less on the supernatural but good with the survival themes.

The Night of the Comet kind of reminds me more of Dead Reign though seeing completely empty city scenes was cool.

Damnation Alley! I LOVE that movie! (though the iron roach cannibal horde still freaks me out... :eek: ) Been so long since i've seen it, no wonder i forgot about it. :lol:

How about both "Terror Within" movies? They're sci-fi/horror, but those were freaky post-apocalypse movies.
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Nightbreed wrote:
Astral_Explorer wrote:The Day After, wow I remember that yes very fitting. Less on the supernatural but good with the survival themes.

Damnation Alley! I LOVE that movie! (though the iron roach cannibal horde still freaks me out... :eek: ) Been so long since i've seen it, no wonder i forgot about it. :lol:

How about both "Terror Within" movies? They're sci-fi/horror, but those were freaky post-apocalypse movies.

I dont think I have ever seen those Terror Within movies, what are they about ?? there are several ?

Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Astral_Explorer wrote:
Nightbreed wrote:

I dont think I have ever seen those Terror Within movies, what are they about ?? there are several ?

If i remember correctly it had to do with these survivors at a base that has to deal with these mutants who like to kill the males and rape the women for reproduction purposes (they die while giving birth to one of these things) Well these guys are at an underground base and it eventually gets compromised and it turns into a battle for survival. It's a decent movie to watch, but it's from the 80's so some might be bored with it. The proper title is "The Terror Within."
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

More the Coalition, but V for Vendetta. The whole "we are doing this to protect you" vibe.

The Postman. Yeah I know Costner, but the small groups trying to struggle away from the edge of the long night.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

The beginning of Hellgate London has a real Chaos Earth feel to it. Take a look at the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ID0i7_N0g
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Rimmerdal
Knight

The Ninth Gate...
taalismn wrote:

Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

runebeo wrote:The beginning of Hellgate London has a real Chaos Earth feel to it. Take a look at the link.

You're right, real good beginning and Chaos Earth-like! :ok:

Rimmerdal wrote:The Ninth Gate...

Sorry, i honestly don't see how this was like Chaos Earth. :-? More like a decent episode of BtS with a really BAD (and disappointing IMHO) ending.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Nightbreed wrote:
runebeo wrote:The beginning of Hellgate London has a real Chaos Earth feel to it. Take a look at the link.

Sorry, i honestly don't see how this was like Chaos Earth. :-? More like a decent episode of BtS with a really BAD (and disappointing IMHO) ending.

I really like the beginning movie for Hellgate London, but the ending movie was even better. This is how I imagine Nema fell to the Demon Plague.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXWcRAN8OCU
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Rimmerdal
Knight

Nightbreed wrote:

the concept of the Nine gates bring on the big Apocalypse. has a certain appeal. It would be great part for PC's to play into. I'll give you the ending was bad, but a good concept. and as an adventure it might be a good quest for a trainee mage. He/she meds to get the nine pages and get them to certain location at a set time to complete training.
taalismn wrote:

Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

I hate to say this: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. (dives for cover to avoid incoming weapons fire)
They can't see me...Right!?
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

You're kinda right on with the FF: Spirits Within.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

the Road, it has the feel and gloom of chaos earth. and some of the human or lack of, aspects of it.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:the Road, it has the feel and gloom of chaos earth. and some of the human or lack of, aspects of it.

this is one of my new favorite movies.

oddly, one of the newer episodes of South Park reminded me a whole lot of Chaos Earth. With the BP disaster releasing Cthulu and tearing open a hole to a dimension of monsters. I mean, if that's not Chaos Earth, what is?
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:the Road, it has the feel and gloom of chaos earth. and some of the human or lack of, aspects of it.

oddly, one of the newer episodes of South Park reminded me a whole lot of Chaos Earth. With the BP disaster releasing Cthulu and tearing open a hole to a dimension of monsters. I mean, if that's not Chaos Earth, what is?

I have not seen the SOuth park show in a long time. but yes the road is a great film and they did a good job turning the book into a movie. I think the book of eli was decent because it shows how a religion can be used by someone and turned evil.

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:

I have not seen the SOuth park show in a long time. but yes the road is a great film and they did a good job turning the book into a movie. I think the book of eli was decent because it shows how a religion can be used by someone and turned evil.

the episode i was referring to was part of a 3-part story arc. It will be available in a few weeks on www.southparkstudios.com

but if you really want to see it, im sure there is a torrent available.

The Book of Eli was good, but in a more comic-book kind of way. I like The Road because it was more about survival than it was about beating the bad guys.
But The Book of Eli had Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman, which is cool. Malcolm X versus Sid Vicious. Fun.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

i can agree with your thoughts on the book of eli.
the fact that the man hides with every noise and its as the nuclear winter feel, the road shows you how it very well could be. I like how he turns the kid into something holy so he can have some devine reason to live. yet he constantly thought about killing him so he would not be left alone or taken by the bad people. lol

I will look for the epsiode of south park as i am not curious. thanks for the link.

Nadrakas
Explorer
Comment: Strength through Unity, Unity through Faith!

Unread post by Nadrakas »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:

OMG...they had to go there. Astaroth be praised. :shock:

-
--
---
----
-----

Sorry...my mind suddenly got a little warped. In the real world I am the proud father of a little girl and a lilttle boy, both in the "toddler" age grouping, so I get a little inundated with Toddler shows. One of them is "Timmy Time" - kind of cute, with anthromorphic kid-animals in pre-school (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timmy_Time - I apologize for the Wiki Link as I usually don't link to Wiki...). Now, the mention of South Park + Cthulhu - and the videos on YouTube - suddenly merged in my overwrought and traumatized brain to become "Cthulhu Time." If you have ever seen "Timmy Time" and are a Cthulhu fan then I hope you get a laugh. If not...then chalk it up to a Pre-Rifts Crazy going off the deep end, while singing "Cthulhu Time." :D

~ N
Last edited by Nadrakas on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Visit Nadrakas's RPG Corner
Nadrakas
Explorer
Comment: Strength through Unity, Unity through Faith!

Unread post by Nadrakas »

runebeo wrote:
Nightbreed wrote:

I really like the beginning movie for Hellgate London, but the ending movie was even better. This is how I imagine Nema fell to the Demon Plague.

An excellent choice...most excellent. Can't wait to use it as an "intro" in my Chaos Earth Game (I just "blew up" the world and we are at about 20 hours in since the Blue Lines appeared... :twisted: )

~ N
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Visit Nadrakas's RPG Corner
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Damnation Alley! I LOVE that movie! (though the iron roach cannibal horde still freaks me out... ) Been so long since i've seen it, no wonder i forgot about it.

OMG, i think this is the movie my wife has been trying to tell me about..........she saw this movie years ago, she said it was a post apocalyptic movie and the only thing she could remember was the mass hordes of roaches.
The Dragon Has Spoken
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

runebeo wrote:
Nightbreed wrote:

AWWWWW YEAH!!!! THAT is EXACTLY how I see NEMA going out. I'll have to watch that one. :D
I like this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENrt-kasF24
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

The Book of Eli was less Chaos Earth and more Fallout. If you play any of the Fallout games, the comparison is instantaneous.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Snake Eyes wrote:
Damnation Alley! I LOVE that movie! (though the iron roach cannibal horde still freaks me out... ) Been so long since i've seen it, no wonder i forgot about it.

OMG, i think this is the movie my wife has been trying to tell me about..........she saw this movie years ago, she said it was a post apocalyptic movie and the only thing she could remember was the mass hordes of roaches.

Damnation Alley was a great movie and the roaches creeped me out as a kid.

Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Aelfbeorn wrote:I believe the "Mad Max" trilogy fits, minus the DBees and magic/psionics.

I am shocked we forgot those classics.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen...the movie was about a train wreck that almost destroyed my faith in Hollywood...much like the world was almost destroyed in Chaos Earth.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”