MDC Longcoats

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

MDC Longcoats

Unread post by Xar »

I'm going to ask a real stupid question. I think these are a nice idea, but what's the point? Are they supposed to be "dress" armor? Less protection but nicer looking? The text says that they are in different color choices based by division, or emphasis. Is there a different purpose for these than that?

Oh, and if they are basically an mdc duster or trenchcoat, shouldn't they have an AR? The text suggest using the NEMA helmet, but I was thinking feet.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd give them the AR of the Cyberarmor. the coats probably cover about as much.

plus i'd give projectile and other kinetic weapons a -4 to that, since the coats are flexible and thus not as likely to fully stop impacts. so railguns, frag grenades/warheads, explosive bullets, ramjet rounds ,ect are all more likely to do damage to the wearer, representing the coat bending when hit, allowing the projectile to damage the wearer through the coat.

so its a good idea to wear such coats over regular armor.

an MDC trenchcoat is really more of the kind of thing you'd wear when you expect to face vibroknives and holdout pistols, not real military gear. much like the kevlar lined coats used by some security groups, or the kevlar lines riding suits used by motorcyclists.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
G
Adventurer

Re: MDC Longcoats

Unread post by G »

Xar wrote:I'm going to ask a real stupid question. I think these are a nice idea, but what's the point? Are they supposed to be "dress" armor? Less protection but nicer looking? The text says that they are in different color choices based by division, or emphasis. Is there a different purpose for these than that?

Oh, and if they are basically an mdc duster or trenchcoat, shouldn't they have an AR? The text suggest using the NEMA helmet, but I was thinking feet.

What is the point of more armor?

->It keeps you alive!

You can wear an mdc longcoat where you would not wear a full set of armor.
Its faster to put on than a set of armor.
It protects your armor (it is easier to replace a longcoat than the armor, especially on a war torn planet with no one producing more armor. magine you find a dead person with armor, it won't fit; but a longcoat? There would be a much better chance of that fitting).
The longcoat would be much cheaper than the armor.
I see longcoats as the next best thing to a forcefield...They are in some respects better (always on, in the seconds you try to flip on the forcefield - you could be dead).
It's better than nothing (which is often the alternative).

As for the color choices...Can you imagine going to the store and everything being the same grey color?
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Well, you gotta remember too that NEMA pretty much replaced the FBI and the long coats would've probably been used by field agents; especially when trying to be low profile in a civilian setting.

Also, before the cataclysm, almost no one outside of NEMA and the military had MD weapons. Well funded criminals are always a possibility, but the coat is more than enough protection against normal ammunition.

Move on to the post apocalyptic setting. NEMA is utilizing a lot of civilian volunteer combatants (para arcane and demon hunters). Think practicality. Why give a civilian with a violent streak full EBA when you can give them some lower grade armor and a vest? Definite benefits to keeping the real soldiers in full armor since they're probably going to be doing the most dying anyways.

Finally, as been previously said, let's look at convenience. It's quick, easy to transport and not all situations allow for EBA. Oh yes, and it looks cool too.

I wouldn't assign it an AR simply because MD weapons don't apply to AR due to the lethality aspect. This was an option from RUE that fits with chaos earth in my mind.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Last Knight wrote:I agree, it kind of annoys me that cyber-armor and the TX 'Plain Clothes' armor has an AR when non-environmental armors like the Huntsman don't. Strange to say AR doesn't apply... then apply it.

the differance is that Huntsman armor covers the entire body, but just lacks the "space suit" sealed life support, while Plain clothes armor and Cyber armor only cover part of the body. the AR represents the possibility of shots hitting an area not covered by armor.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Re:

Unread post by csbioborg »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Last Knight wrote:I agree, it kind of annoys me that cyber-armor and the TX 'Plain Clothes' armor has an AR when non-environmental armors like the Huntsman don't. Strange to say AR doesn't apply... then apply it.

the differance is that Huntsman armor covers the entire body, but just lacks the "space suit" sealed life support, while Plain clothes armor and Cyber armor only cover part of the body. the AR represents the possibility of shots hitting an area not covered by armor.

If you wielding a stileto you could get through some spots I'd imagine.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Will not mention the MD swimsuits of the Altara....which dont have an AR......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

eliakon wrote:Will not mention the MD swimsuits of the Altara....which dont have an AR......

Perhaps it should have been siad that the AR is from the distraction of watching them as they kick your butt. :D
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

It's funny when you see a reply to one of your posts, scroll back up reading, wondering what you could have written and discover that you started the thread.

Oh, and shoot for the head!
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Johnathan
Adventurer

Re:

Unread post by Johnathan »

Lord NorDeth wrote:I have always ruled that with the few MDC armors that use AR, this AR ONLY applies to Called Shots, since (according to canon) all non-called shots hit the Main Body, that is where the armor is heaviest, only when they aim for somewhere else does the AR come into play.

Just my 2 cents, works for us.

:ok:

I like this! Think I'm going to start applying it in my games! Awesome suggestion.
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Re: Re:

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Johnathan wrote:
Lord NorDeth wrote:I have always ruled that with the few MDC armors that use AR, this AR ONLY applies to Called Shots, since (according to canon) all non-called shots hit the Main Body, that is where the armor is heaviest, only when they aim for somewhere else does the AR come into play.

Just my 2 cents, works for us.

:ok:

I like this! Think I'm going to start applying it in my games! Awesome suggestion.

I second that.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”