Life Expectancy in Chaos Earth

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Re:

Unread post by keir451 »

Actually wasn't the life expectancy clser to 120 yrs? And wasn't part of that genetic engineering, I mean it says someting about that in the character gen. section specifically on pg. 26 2nd column "Bonus from genetics engineering and augmentation" these would contribute to some ones life span and be passed on to their offspring, also take into account survival of the fittest some of the descendant of the NEMA soldiers would be among "the fittest", like in FQ (the descended GB)
Jason Richards wrote:
life expectancy was something like 200 years.

Interesting sidenote... unless they have medical means to make you younger once you've grown old (possible), there is no way that this number could be confirmed. The Rifts came in 2098, and it's currently 2006. Someone would have to be over 100 today to live to 200 at the Coming of the Rifts.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: Life Expectancy in Chaos Earth

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Since this topic was brought back up, I should probably mention that the text on this matter was cleaned up a bit in the second printing to make it make more sense. It's in the errata stickied to the top of this forum.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Re:

Unread post by Xar »

Xar wrote:The life of this thread has been much longer than I expected it to be, that's for sure.

The life of this thread has been much longer than I expected it to be. Again.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Thread Necromancy can't be avoided in a world so dark and unstable as Chaos Earth.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Jason Richards wrote:Thread Necromancy can't be avoided in a world so dark and unstable as Chaos Earth.

It's not Thread Necromancy. It's Cybermancy. :D
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

If the genetic tweaking was done before birth then, as CE seems to imply, we have better attributes and longer life spans. this could also mean increased reproductive capacity for females, if, say a woman is chronologically in her 40's but BIOLOGICALLY in her twenties then she can still reproduce. And in such an Apocalytic enviroment the old "chauvanistic tendencies",i.e.; protecting women, keeping multiple women, women & children first, etc. would crop up again and add to the continued survival of humans in CE. But in the end it is "just a game" create your settings how you wish. :wink:
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Jason Richards wrote:Since this topic was brought back up, I should probably mention that the text on this matter was cleaned up a bit in the second printing to make it make more sense. It's in the errata stickied to the top of this forum.

Thanks for the reminder Jason, you were right. So according to the errata the life span was 150-180 (20% living to 180).
As far as average lifespan during the time of the apocalypse, I'd say possibly around 30 or so, with a few people in various areas either living longer (maybe there are less demons or some such thing in that area) or people in other areas dying in droves do to demons, disease, other humans (we are the no. one killers of ourselves doncha know), accident,etc. The list can go on for hours, if not decades! :D
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Re:

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Jason Richards wrote:
I am also aware that a GM can ad-lib by adding a penalty to a skill roll. However, there is no system for doing so.

Well, for one... you're wrong about their being no system. There is a table of penalties to use as a go-by. This is no different than the GM setting difficulty levels that the character must roll against, which is the more common mechanic.

I really do not want to get into this argument. But I am VERY curious as to where this table is. Book, page number. I'm trying my hand at writing a Rifter article and this was one of the things I was including in it; penalties and bonuses for environment, stress, and time taken.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”