Rules for Chaos Earth

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Reread the rules section, its all there.

Just to clarify.

1) Penalties are for the untrained. (no W.P.)

2) Depends on the gun and your personal GMing style.

Oh and the rules aren't exactly "new," per se. They are only amendments of sorts as stipulated in various Rifts titles and finally the GMs Guide.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Mikica1986 wrote:Witch hunter (by the class description) gains 2 skills for free witch combined give him +7 to save vs magic and horror factor. And have the same ppe base. Im VERY confused with them. Is it a typo, or caracter choses one of them?

Typo
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Mikica1986 wrote:Thank's Josh but there is still few stuff there on the bottom of the "Wild shooting" or what ever it is called in Chaos Earth (I can't remember where I put that book) is line that was "puzzling" (can't remember any other word, sorry) me. It says that penalty for shooting wild is -6 and it don't mention trained or untrained caracter.

This is a reprint from the RGMG, which was itself reprinted from Villains Unlimited. The -6 penalty still only applies to those without a W.P. for the modern weapon they are using, as per page 148 of Chaos Earth. Which of course makes the next one rather confusing...

And there is another thing, about W.P. Sharpshooting , when caracter have 5th trick he can dodge, roll or somersalut(or how it should be written) and came up shooting (normaly a wild shot). So this can be a slight modification (if you run and shoot only great experience will help you).

Doesn't make any sense does it?

I'm somewhat inclined to think that the -6 penalty is supposed to apply even to proficient users under certain circumstances, but not entirely convinced yet.

Mikica1986 wrote:Witch hunter (by the class description) gains 2 skills for free witch combined give him +7 to save vs magic and horror factor. And have the same ppe base. Im VERY confused with them. Is it a typo, or caracter choses one of them?

No they don't. The bonuses listed at the end are not tied to any skill or knowledge, but are a separate entry (hence the bold text). The paragraph listing bonuses earlier under the Arcane Knowledge section is an editing mistake. If you compare the Witch Hunter from CE to the one in Rifter #18 you'll find that the description originally ended after the Arcane Knowledge entry and moved on to OCC statistics. In adding the "think like the demonic enemy" section, the bonuses were moved from the Arcane Knowledge section to the end of the description, but the draft copy was accidentally left in its original location.

The second set of bonuses are the correct ones, ignore the earlier ones.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Based on the description, it seems to be a slight expansion of the Lore: Magic skill, with a higher than usual percentage chance of recognizing enchantment, possession, and magical items.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Hav0k
Wanderer

Unread post by Hav0k »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:This is a reprint from the RGMG, which was itself reprinted from Villains Unlimited. The -6 penalty still only applies to those without a W.P. for the modern weapon they are using, as per page 148 of Chaos Earth. Which of course makes the next one rather confusing...

Sorry, i cant find that mentioned on the page you refer....

Doesn't make any sense does it?

I'm somewhat inclined to think that the -6 penalty is supposed to apply even to proficient users under certain circumstances, but not entirely convinced yet.

Yes. I saw another post where someone uses a simple rule:
- Character with WP, standing still, shooting a spray: No penalty
- Same character from a moving object: -6 to strike.
- Same character in other "extreme" situations as described in the "Shooting wild" paragraph (like target is barely visible, terrified or enraged): -6 to strike,

Problem is that there are other "odd" paragraphs around, like "shooter and considerations penalties" from the "Definitive Dodging Rules vs Ranged Attacks" section...
- "only a roll to strike that is 12 or higher": did I miss this in the book? I have only read the "8 to moving targets and 10 if they are really fast" from the "Range and targeting (the rolls to strike)" section.
- In "Shooting wild modifier": "if the target is small and obscured... the shooter is -4 to strike, so he must roll a 15 or higher"......Then without the penalty, the roll would be 11??? what about 10 or 12 from previous paragraphs?
- In "Mitigating Circumstances", again the shooter must roll a 12 (with a lot of ground cover), and at -4 if he is moving..... wasn't this 10 to strike and -6 from shooting wild?

I would love some explanation of all this, since I get confused every time I read it.... :?
*OMNIA MUTANTUR*
-Hav0k-
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Yeah, there are a lot of mechanical problems with the game as it is written. My personal favorite is that most educated characters max out their foreign language skills faster than their native language.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”