How do you handle psionics

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TNightshade

How do you handle psionics

Unread post by TNightshade »

I know how I handle psionics in Chaos Easrth but I would like a few other ideas on how to handle it and everyones suggestions.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Re: How do you handle psionics

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Mikica1986 wrote:Just halving ranges, damages and duration of all Psi stuff.
It just apeared and shoud be weaker then in Rifts.

Actually, psionic didn't just appear, they existed long before the coming of the Rifts. Furthermore, psionics don't rely on Ley Line Energy or any discipline like magic does, halving them seems a little unrealistic.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: How do you handle psionics

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

THE Josh wrote:
Mikica1986 wrote:Just halving ranges, damages and duration of all Psi stuff.
It just apeared and shoud be weaker then in Rifts.

Actually, psionic didn't just appear, they existed long before the coming of the Rifts. Furthermore, psionics don't rely on Ley Line Energy or any discipline like magic does, halving them seems a little unrealistic.

This is particularly true if one follows the original notion that Rifts was the future of the world in Beyond the Supernatural.

Still, it's up to individual GMs (and I believe the topic is specifically asking how each GM does it).

For some, psionics may have been around since time immemorial but become more prominent and powerful during the Coming of the Rifts.

For others the claims of psychic phenomena in the past might be utterly false, and the true psionic powers appearing after the Coming of the Rifts are actually some kind of mutation or adaptation caused by this new reality.

Perhaps some of the Rifts-era psychics are mutations of other older psychic types. The classic 'Kinetics and Physical Psychics for example may gradually evolve into the Burster and Zapper. The Psi-Sensitive may be the progenitor of the Psi-Stalker, and so forth.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Doctor Hellion wrote:In Rifts Worldbook Englang it is stated that the UK were the country who were leading in Psitech, therefor they were able to develope the sword that Artuu runs around with, it predates the Rifts.

So to me it seems that psionics were a part of everyday society, in the days before the rifts. Though psionics were probarly not a everyday commodity.

I don't think it was everyday. I think it was more of the Spoon Bending/KGB-CIA spending millions of dollars on secret research on it type thing. Certain people probably knew about it, but to the vast majority of people that was fantasy.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

dont remember where I read all this (multi sources) but, psi was around for a long time before Rifts, and it DOES need high levels of ambiant PPE to become Mega Damage. if that is true, than CE Psi would be HIGHER than in Rifts in damage, duration, and range.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Darque wrote:
Kagashi wrote:dont remember where I read all this (multi sources) but, psi was around for a long time before Rifts, and it DOES need high levels of ambiant PPE to become Mega Damage. if that is true, than CE Psi would be HIGHER than in Rifts in damage, duration, and range.

Yikes, that's a good point.

I'd probably only do that if they're near a 'blue line' or a nexus really, and then maybe only up it a bit since I don't think the actual ambient PPE levels in Rifts have gone down much in the 200 or so years.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”