If you could have one small free Chaos Earth supplement...

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

If you could have one small free Chaos Earth supplement...

Unread post by Jason Richards »

This is for down the line, but if you could have one free small supplement to CE, what would it be? I'm talking about 4-8 pages of content as a free download.

Sampling from a future book?
Conversion from another Palladium game?
A few new Mecha?
New spells?
New monsters?
New NPCs?

Anything, so long as it's limited to just a few pages, though there could conceivably be a few such projects released.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: If you could have one small free Chaos Earth supplement...

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I would like to see small adventures. Think that would be the most useful to GM.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

H-L-S FTW
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Mecha.

Non NEMA. Maybe what the Europeans or Russians had or were developing.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

How about some additional world information? Maybe a few pages about what is going on in the rest of the world?
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

strtkwr wrote:How about some additional world information? Maybe a few pages about what is going on in the rest of the world?

yeah that would be awesome too :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jason Richards

Sgt Anjay wrote:H-L-S FTW

HLS are for suckers, but I can do adventure hooks. :)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Jason Richards wrote:
Sgt Anjay wrote:H-L-S FTW

HLS are for suckers, but I can do adventure hooks. :)

:thwak:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Jason Richards wrote:This is for down the line, but if you could have one free small supplement to CE, what would it be? I'm talking about 4-8 pages of content as a free download.

A few new Mecha?
New spells?
New monsters?
New NPCs?

Anything, so long as it's limited to just a few pages, though there could conceivably be a few such projects released.

Any or all of the above.

Dead Reign as I understand has some sort of random tables for finding stuff? Something like that could be handy for players and GM's to roll on. Especially if the player's character is a "normal" person and didn't benefit from NEMA gear.

If you can do a series, then perhaps describing some small town as they struggle into the post-apocalypse world. Maybe even make it a "living" campaign where you do updates based on what player's do?
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

Shawn Merrow wrote:I would like to see small adventures. Think that would be the most useful to GM.

:ok:
you could try to do a series of interconnected adventures. Don't want to see HLS.....
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

[quote"Dustin Fireblade"]

this could be good, not to sure

A few new Mecha?
New spells?
New monsters?

don't really want to see anymore of these, but could be good

New NPCs?

yes, with interesting reasons for them to be, no quick stat npc

If you can do a series, then perhaps describing some small town as they struggle into the post-apocalypse world. Maybe even make it a "living" campaign where you do updates based on what player's do?

I think this is a really good suggestion. You could cover many of the other suggestions with this overall theme
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Jason Richards wrote:This is for down the line, but if you could have one free small supplement to CE, what would it be? I'm talking about 4-8 pages of content as a free download.

A few new Mecha?
New spells?
New monsters?
New NPCs?

What I want isn't on the list, but I think it could be great as a small supplement. Modifiers for weather, disaster affected areas, wounds and illness. Sort of a survival pamphlet I suppose. You wouldn't have to include unique things to the setting, like alien plagues or anything. I'm talking setting basics, modifiers easily compiled from other sources (given the time to do so) like: radiation sickness, starvation penalties, encumberance (oh my!), effects of tainted water, collapsed building penalties, etc.

Of course, some new mecha would be good too, though I want to see what was just starting to be used in the armed forces (that's not already cited in furter RIFTS supplements). Or even better, I want to see some basic infantry armor and weapons (non-NEMA).
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Jason Richards

Grell, I have notes on environmental stuff. It's pretty daunting, but might make a good short supplement. Good suggestion.

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

I'd like to see information on NEMA activities that are non-combat related.
Such as....
How does a GM run a scenario where there are survivors trapped under the rubble of a collapsed building?
Suppose a fire breaks out? How do you run this kind of fire-fight and still make it interesting and fun?
What about riots? What is the best way to quell a riot without seriously hurting anyone?

and speaking of combat, I'm curious as to how other GMs run it in Chaos Earth. From what I get from the books, the player characters should be encountering demons and monsters pretty much all the time. I haven't been doing that so much because, well its' just not that interesting to me to run combat encounters where demons jump out and go "boo!" and then get blasted to pieces. Or they can kill the PCs, but for no reason other than "hey you went outside, time to die". Anyone feel me on that?

Weather effects and natural disaster game mechanics would be sweet too.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

I tend to run combat light games and if fighting happens often, then it's not set up to be a protracted battle. I regard the monsters the same as most animals in that supernatural predators tend to hunt in a pretty broad area and there's usually only one or two big bads in any given area.

Honestly, I like running the human enemy moreso than the otherworldly.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Jason Richards

CE games, for me, are all about the characters constantly having to choose one path or another. How do they deal with encountering their first alien? Psychic? Mage? How do they react when an official policy or group decision runs counter to their own values? When push comes to shove, what will they be willing to sacrifice to survive?

Chaos Earth, imho, is all about humanity scratching and fighting to keep from falling into the abyss that is the Dark Age, and demons and monsters are only a very small part of that.

Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Agreed. The human drama of the CE setting is nothing short of genius and in desperate need of telling. I like to use the characters desperation as a catalyst for choices they need to make. Things like mercy killings, cannabalism and sacrificing one to save many are all great ways to get players focused more on the dangers of losing their own souls than the monsters and aliens in the dark.

My characters right now are more wary of the next choice to make than the child stealing monster they're hunting!

It's not just about keeping your humanity intact, it's about deciding how much of it you can lose and still call it an acceptable loss. Then again, maybe I just run dark games in general.

RoadWarriorFWaNK

Grell wrote:Agreed. The human drama of the CE setting is nothing short of genius and in desperate need of telling.

This.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

Prodigal Son wrote:My vote would be for more monsters.

the "secret project" i turned in has a ton more monsters to shoot at. some of them shoot back! ah, o no!!
Nadrakas
Explorer
Comment: Strength through Unity, Unity through Faith!

Unread post by Nadrakas »

How about an "Online News Paper" series of articles about Pre Chaos Earth, showcasing events, people, technology and other things that are happening shortly before the "Blue Lines." The last page or two could contain the actual "Stats" for anything new that appeared in the article.

Question: Is this something that would be a cooperative venture, as in "submissions?

~ N
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Visit Nadrakas's RPG Corner
Jason Richards

Nope, not collaborative. Just extra stuff to support First Responders. Official material. :)

Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:

the "secret project" i turned in has a ton more monsters to shoot at. some of them shoot back! ah, o no!!

Would this have anything to do with the undead plague?

Nadrakas
Explorer
Comment: Strength through Unity, Unity through Faith!

Unread post by Nadrakas »

Jason Richards wrote:Nope, not collaborative. Just extra stuff to support First Responders. Official material. :)

:cry:

Well...guess I'll have to accept that.

Still pulling for the "Online News Paper" series of articles (Obviously in "paper" format...).

~ N
Chicago Broadcast, 12 DEC 2098, M.P.: wrote:We are the People of Earth. Those Things are not of Earth. Our path is clear and simple. We belong here, they do not. I, for one, will do everything in my power to close the Gates so we can send those things back to whatever Hell they came from!! NOW, WHO IS WITH ME!!!

Visit Nadrakas's RPG Corner
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Everyday late 21th century Vehicles, work exoskeletons [not really mecha, more like the Gunslinger?] and gear that can be used for survival. Vehicles used and modified for the trek to Chicago, even ones that support the less/lighter one thru the hardship of the trip.

What did you have in mind for the above.

Spells for and magic using late 21th items. Basing spells off fantasy works up to a point, modern things being used makes more sense. Key lugs and cellphones, IPads and their like. Spells that effect weapons and vehicles or enhanced their use.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
RoadWarriorFWaNK

Grell wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:

Would this have anything to do with the undead plague?

it has to do with an undead plague, but maybe not the undead plague.
Jason Richards

As for the conversion, I was thinking specifically of Systems Failure and BTS.

Jason Richards

Blitz wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:As for the conversion, I was thinking specifically of Systems Failure and BTS.

I know it's a bit more then what you're asking to do here, but I wonder if we could get a Chaos Earth conversion book. One book to handily compile all of the Rifts and other setting material most appropriate to CE.

As to the subject at hand, I also agree with the idea of the survival guide.

The bulk of the stuff from Rifts can be put in more or less straight. I'd actually recommend the Rifts Conversion Books as great tools for Chaos Earth.

abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Jason Richards wrote:As for the conversion, I was thinking specifically of Systems Failure and BTS.

System Failure always needs more love, BTS also needs light to shine on it. A burned match would be a bright light. Both would be nice but pick one.

I'm talking about 4-8 pages of content as a free download.

How much for a 32, 48 or 64 PDF or 'print on demand' book? If KS would allow.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Jason Richards

abtex wrote:

System Failure always needs more love, BTS also needs light to shine on it. A burned match would be a bright light. Both would be nice but pick one.

I'm talking about 4-8 pages of content as a free download.

How much for a 32, 48 or 64 PDF or 'print on demand' book? If KS would allow.

Heh. The point is to market for Chaos Earth books and energize the fanbase, my friend, not to ply my craft for free.

If you, however, would care to commission an original 32 page work from me on the subject of your choosing, I'm all ears. :)

Jason Richards

Charnage wrote:Quick adventure jump points. Portal Hopping adventures. You give a group of up to 8 semi-predone characters, and a quick mission profile, than bam. Hit them with a setting. Captain Nemo and his supersub encounter their first honest to gosh Sea Monster, or an adventure set in England at the moment Stonehenge lights up and a real dragon bursts forth and the players are a group of townspeople, or an adventure of what happens when Atlantis suddenly appears off the coast amid a torrent of blue energy, ley line storms and a Bermuda Triangle that has walls of energy 1000 feet high to show where it is. The first encounter with a Xicktix, maybe a baby grub, lost, helpless, and the players' reaction to it sets the tone for the way the Xicktix act 300 years later. Not just a specific setting, but make it like a mission to a new planet every week for a certain galaxy spanning Scifi show about vertical pools of water.

Just enough info to get things going. A one off, characters that could be throw away. You bang out the adventure to get the feel of the world. Maybe a few core characters survive, ala BSG but there are plenty of Redshirts in each "Episode".

That could be in the 4 or 5 page range. Gives a sample of the possiblities from various angles every few weeks. Plan it out like a TV season. 21 episodes. Each season is like a year of real time.

That's a neat idea. It's too extensive for what I can do for this sort of promotion, though. That volume of work would occupy the time and effort it would take to write a whole sourcebook. If I'm gonna do THAT much work, I need to make that sweet, sweet freelancer cash. ;)

Also, anything currently in the works for CE will be based in North America. That's the setting as it stands. I also don't have any desire to use any Rifts material (the emergence of the Xiticitx, the first vampire encounters, etc.) in Chaos Earth. New new new!

Short one-shot adventures are a good idea, though. A good intro to the setting.

RoadWarriorFWaNK

Jason Richards wrote:
Also, anything currently in the works for CE will be based in North America. That's the setting as it stands. I also don't have any desire to use any Rifts material (the emergence of the Xiticitx, the first vampire encounters, etc.) in Chaos Earth. New new new!

yes please
Jason Richards

Charnage wrote:when I get home tonight I will think up a couple of one shots, with some sample characters, using the North American setting as a more fully made idea. I was just shooting out whatever thoughts sprang to mind.

Like the recent Predators movie where the first scene is the "hero" waking up to being air-dropped onto the world. 20 minutes later, he has a party and survival is the name of the game.

I guess I was thinking this would be put up on Drive Thru RPG, or something for a Rifter. Or something for a con, to draw in a crowd.
Either way, I am thinking whatever situation is used that its something that can be done in 45 minutes to an hour. Less focused on hard rules, more setting the stage and jump into the action. Like a scene from a movie, the actors take their places, then lights.. camera....ACTION!

45 minutes to an hour in a Palladium game? So what, like... 3 rounds of combat? :)

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

4-8 pages...

After reading the above, I'd like to see this breakdown as part of an ongoing series.

a. Something new: a piece of equipment, a new mecha, a demon or monster, or a location. (1-2 pgs)
b. One or more NPCs relevant to part a. (1-2 pgs.)
c. Adventure hooks using a. and b. (2-4 pgs.)

That gives you 4-8 pages of Chaos Earth goodness, tied to a central theme, which should be marketable and easy enough for someone of your caliber to write up in short order.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Id like to see more of those models of SAMAS mentioned but not statted out in New/Spirit West.

We have the Wild Weasel, Sidewinder, and USA SAMAS, but there are four more model designs out of the mentioned seven that apparently were part of the US government arsenal. Perhaps for us Mutants in Orbit fans wanting more material as well as for Chaos Earth material...one of these models can be a Space SAMAS? Good way to kill two birds with one stone.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

CE needs fully fleshed out adventures to entice new fans to CE.

Not adventure hooks, but full blown A->B->C adventures that a GM can run tonight. Preferably with a PDF with 6 pregen characters too.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”