What makes Chaos so good

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drakinn
Explorer

What makes Chaos so good

Unread post by drakinn »

I bought the 1st 3 books and haven't gotten any more of this set. I am looking at GMing again. It seemed to me that the harsh survival setting wasn't really reached. has it gotten better or was it good in the first place and I missed something. What should I look for to make this a great setting?
Skilled Warriors of old
Their wariness was as that of one crossing a river in winter;
Their caution was as that of one in fear of all around;
Their gravity was as that of a guest
Their relaxation was as that of ice at the melting point

Tao Te Ching
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: What makes Chaos so good

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I don't believe the main CE book really conveyed the hard core survival that it should have. There's no real mention of what daily life was like in the Golden Age, so there's no sense of loss for it. Likewise there's not a lot of information about enviromental hazards. I also think the old monster creator from the original Rifts Main Book would have been a real good addition, just to provide a good deal more randomness for GM's to introduce into the setting.

Currently there are only the three books out for Chaos Earth. Jason Richards is hard at work creating new material for the setting, so I have high hopes for it.

If you wish to run a CE game -
1. I would look at enviromental hazards (again that Jason is already researching) - use this thread as a reference point:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=112394

2. Use the monster generator from the old Rifts Main Book if you have it.

3. Check out some of the other CE threads for more material and idea's -
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=103095

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=98812

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=100622

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=78234

There's sure to be a few more threads that will help as well.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Laux the Ogre wrote:I had my players start out as non-NEMA characters. Survival is pretty rough, when you're facing about 2 dozen Day Demons and your party consists of:

1)Melvin, the neighborhood gamer-kid(with his copy of Rifts Conversion Book 1{the original}).

2)Joey, the mentally-challenged ice-cream truck-driver(with his truck{not an ice-cream truck, just an antique '11 ford})(the only member of the party with psionics, but it's just empathy and mindblock).

3)Shelly, "The Oldest Prostitute in Cole County", 117 years young. Armed with a cross, a 12-gauge(no shells), and "FooFoo"(her pet Chihuahau, 15 years old, with cyber-legs and organs).

4)K9, an escaped con. Found guilty of Murder 1, and horse-raping. Armed with a shiv.

5)Last but not least, Little Rosamund, age 6. Cute enough to make you puke, she's a Chaos Wizard(the only partymember to be worth anything in a combat with Demons, if she wasn't such a scaredy-cat).

Holy crap. This sounds like an awesome game.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

As written, the player characters in the CERPG are basically all superhumans with high technology and good resources. Hopefully First Responders helps in that area, as it will provide decidedly non-powerful classes.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Jason Richards wrote:As written, the player characters in the CERPG are basically all superhumans with high technology and good resources. Hopefully First Responders helps in that area, as it will provide decidedly non-powerful classes.

Right. Chaos Earth is an offshoot of Rifts, and Rifts is about playing larger-than-life heroes, not picking at the ruins for a bite to eat.
Although if I were to run Chaos Earth, there would be more ruin-picking than is implied in the books.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:As written, the player characters in the CERPG are basically all superhumans with high technology and good resources. Hopefully First Responders helps in that area, as it will provide decidedly non-powerful classes.

Right. Chaos Earth is an offshoot of Rifts, and Rifts is about playing larger-than-life heroes, not picking at the ruins for a bite to eat.
Although if I were to run Chaos Earth, there would be more ruin-picking than is implied in the books.

I have had the good fortune in playing in two of Jason's Chaos Earth games at Open Houses. If memory serves, I have died 4 times now at his hand. (And loving it!)

It should be that gritty. It drives home the point that nearly everyone on Earth dies during the coming of the Rifts. It sets up that everyone who survives was truly special to have lived through the dark times. It makes the survivors ok to be larger than life.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”