North America's Super Volcano ..

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

North America's Super Volcano ..

Unread post by Lenwen »

If the world went completely nuts .. ocean's rose .. completely new tectonic plates (atlantis) reappeared ... and everything ..

How in the world did the Yellowstone Megavolcano not go off ?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: North America's Super Volcano ..

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Lenwen wrote:If the world went completely nuts .. ocean's rose .. completely new tectonic plates (atlantis) reappeared ... and everything ..

It did. :?
Jeffrey W.
Explorer
Comment: Provider of quality Palladium Books gaming sessions in the Panama Canal Zone, Orlando Florida, Dallas Texas, Palladium Open House 2007, and Heidelberg Germany.

Unread post by Jeffrey W. »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Lenwen wrote:If the world went completely nuts .. ocean's rose .. completely new tectonic plates (atlantis) reappeared ... and everything ..

It was a kinder, gentler explosion, that somehow allowed the human race the gracious mercy to survive. The Yellowstone Megavolcano erupted with a whimper, not a bang.

Jeffrey W.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Jeffrey W. wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

It was a kinder, gentler explosion, that somehow allowed the human race the gracious mercy to survive. The Yellowstone Megavolcano erupted with a whimper, not a bang.

Jeffrey W.

But that would have made for a boring game if it wiped everyone out :P
Jeffrey W.
Explorer
Comment: Provider of quality Palladium Books gaming sessions in the Panama Canal Zone, Orlando Florida, Dallas Texas, Palladium Open House 2007, and Heidelberg Germany.

Unread post by Jeffrey W. »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Jeffrey W. wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Jeffrey W.

But that would have made for a boring game if it wiped everyone out :P

Agreed. He had to keep somebody alive somehow in the story so that they could be killed later in gameplay.

I had high hopes for Chaos Earth when it was first published, but the gameline sort of stalled out, because the players really have no chance of surviving, the equipment no chance of functioning, and the timeline was set too near to the event occurrence.

Too bad it wasn't set more into the future, or 2nd Dark Age. But then, that just would have been Rifts again, wouldn't it? (Nothing wrong with that, because Rifts is still the paramount RPG, in my opinion)

Jeffrey W.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Jeffrey W. wrote:I had high hopes for Chaos Earth when it was first published, but the gameline sort of stalled out, because the players really have no chance of surviving, the equipment no chance of functioning, and the timeline was set too near to the event occurrence.

A character can still survive long enough to have/sire children. That alone would be tantamount to 'winning' in the Chaos Earth setting because you help create the next generation of man and ensure the race does not go extinct. I for one plan on running my PBP CE game to the point where Chi-Town is first constructed as a fortress for people to live in.

SamtheDagger wrote:The idea that the players have no chance of surviving is what is supposed to make Chaos Earth different. Unfortunately, most players have gotten too attached to their PCs these days and hate it when they die. It is not uncommon for a player to leave a group entirely if his/her PC dies an unrecoverable death. I, for one, think players are too spoiled nowadays. I liked it back in the day of 1st edition AD&D and OD&D when death was a commonplace occurrence and rolling up a new PC didn't take very long.

The fear of character death is a common theme in the games I run online. Yes everyone hates when their character is killed, but without character death a story can get stagnant.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

i am not fond of losing my charater because a gm decides he wants to kill him. however i do not expect to survive in every game. especially when i make bad choices.
as for gear, give your pc a chance to aquire gear from the dead, heck a rifted in alien could have dropped a energy weapon and enough of a suit of body armor to give a pc minor protection.

to me it sounds like you are not giving them the tools to engage in being a hero. if i did not have the tools to fight the alien monsters i would grab my backpack and camping gear and head into the mountains and get away from the rest of the people. I would just run. And as a player become bored with this type of game. i want a challange, some times i will make stupid mistake or my dice will turn on me at that critical moment. and i can accept that. but if i feel a gm is just killing pc to do so. i would not want to play in that game. because whats the point in playing in a game where my pc has no chance. some of the survivors lived and had kids.

As for yellowstone it did go off and according to the books it did what the science channel thinks is going to happen. take out the north west and cover the country covered in ash.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Cobalt-Blue
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Cobalt-Blue »

SamtheDagger wrote:The idea that the players have no chance of surviving is what is supposed to make Chaos Earth different. Unfortunately, most players have gotten too attached to their PCs these days and hate it when they die. It is not uncommon for a player to leave a group entirely if his/her PC dies an unrecoverable death. I, for one, think players are too spoiled nowadays. I liked it back in the day of 1st edition AD&D and OD&D when death was a commonplace occurrence and rolling up a new PC didn't take very long.

That is fine in every type of game EXCEPT for Palladium games. There is too much time and effort to generate a character in Palladium to not get upset if a character dies. It's not because the player is spoiled, it's because of the investment of energy and time in creating characters. I think Palladium has managed to surpass Space Opera in the time it takes to create a character.
Who are we?! We're the North Ashwood first string football team and cheering squad! Prepare to get your butts kicked!"

South Ashwood? Nah we wouldn't go there. They have too much of a problem with roving boy-bands having dance offs.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Nothing spoiled about wanting to keep something you like and enjoy so you can keep enjoying it, nor anything wrong about getting attached to their characters. I'm sure you've things people would go 'look how spoiled you are liking that and getting upset when something happens to it' and would take umbrage at them being so dismissive of your loss of something you enjoyed.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Actually according to the book, the Yellowstone Super Volcano erupted AFTER the Presiden tand the crew of Airforce One had made it into NORAD and took NORAD with it. This was described in the story section with lt.General Sawyer trying to figure out her resources.
I don't have the exact pages as I don't have the book with me right now. :D
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Page 10: The President is taken to Cheyenne Mountain* (December 22, 2098).
Page 14: Yellowstone erupts (December 23, 2098)
Page 18: The story mentions they lost contact with NORAD and the president.

*Pet peeve NORAD is an organization not a location or facility.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Shawn Merrow wrote:Page 10: The President is taken to Cheyenne Mountain* (December 22, 2098).
Page 14: Yellowstone erupts (December 23, 2098)
Page 18: The story mentions they lost contact with NORAD and the president.

*Pet peeve NORAD is an organization not a location or facility.

Thanks Shawn, I've been at class so I couldn't get to the books. Also you're absolutely right NORAD is an organization; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Aerospace_Defense_Command, in some cases the Cheyenne Mountain Facility is treated as the whole of the organization (most likely due to popular culture references, etc).
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”