Volcano plunged Earth into ice age

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jeffrey W.
Explorer
Comment: Provider of quality Palladium Books gaming sessions in the Panama Canal Zone, Orlando Florida, Dallas Texas, Palladium Open House 2007, and Heidelberg Germany.

Volcano plunged Earth into ice age

Unread post by Jeffrey W. »

LiveScience.com had the following today:

"The Toba eruption, which took place on the island of Sumatra in Indonesia about 73,000 years ago, released an estimated 800 cubic kilometers of ash into the atmosphere that blanketed the skies and blocked out sunlight for six years. In the aftermath, global temperatures dropped by as much as 16 degrees centigrade (28 degrees Fahrenheit) and life on Earth plunged deeper into an ice age that lasted around 1,800 years."

Wow.

One volcano, and a 1,800 year ice age.

In Rifts earth, only an 80 year winter, or less. I guess there's something positive to be said about Global Warming.

Jeffrey W.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Volcano plunged Earth into ice age

Unread post by jaymz »

Jeffrey W. wrote:LiveScience.com had the following today:

"The Toba eruption, which took place on the island of Sumatra in Indonesia about 73,000 years ago, released an estimated 800 cubic kilometers of ash into the atmosphere that blanketed the skies and blocked out sunlight for six years. In the aftermath, global temperatures dropped by as much as 16 degrees centigrade (28 degrees Fahrenheit) and life on Earth plunged deeper into an ice age that lasted around 1,800 years."

Wow.

In Rifts earth, only an 80 year winter, or less. I guess there's something positive to be said about Global Warming.

Jeffrey W.

No KIDDING since we had Super Volcano blow along withmany others throughout the world at roughly the same time....yikes
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Maybe the atmospheres form other planets/dimensions mixed with Earth's and vice versa?

For example a Rift opens up and the atmosphere of Earth and some other place are swapped within a mile wide area.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

maybe Kevin SIembeidia is a rpg writer not a scientist
and let's just acce[t the setting as is
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

csbioborg wrote:maybe Kevin SIembeidia is a rpg writer not a scientist
and let's just acce[t the setting as is

I don't think we were criticising csb. The info is interesting, and it might interesting to see why the Earth didn't get a full on ice age. I like the idea that different planetary atmospheres got mixed in with earths during Rift opening and that could be why the nuclear winter was so short?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Jeffrey W. wrote:LiveScience.com had the following today:

Wow.

Jeffrey W.

Yeah, Krakatoa gave us a "Year without summer" and reduced temps. by only about 5 degrees for 3 years. Still kinda scary what Momma nature can do w/ out us! :D
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

In conducting research for my Chaos Earth game, I found that there are a total of 7 known super volcano’s. It is quite possible most (if not all) erupted.

As to why Earth was not plunged into a 1,800 year ice age maybe something caused all the ash thrown up in the atmosphere to come down relatively quickly. The key variable would be the Rifts themselves.

Of course a GM could run a game so that the 'summer' lasts only 45 days or so instead of 90 or so. Then make the winters longer.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

jedi078 wrote:In conducting research for my Chaos Earth game, I found that there are a total of 7 known super volcano’s. It is quite possible most (if not all) erupted.

As to why Earth was not plunged into a 1,800 year ice age maybe something caused all the ash thrown up in the atmosphere to come down relatively quickly. The key variable would be the Rifts themselves.

Of course a GM could run a game so that the 'summer' lasts only 45 days or so instead of 90 or so. Then make the winters longer.

I like that idea too...would make perfect sense not to mention summer may only get up to 25 degrees or so in NA except in stifling heat waves if there are any.

\m/
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

what effects might the ley lines actually have on the earths enviorment. not just from rifts opening up, but the ley lines themselves.

i realize there is nothing in books about this. but it is something that can be worked into the game to explain things in the enviorment. Especially when they first errupt across the world.

but barring that i would say the atmosphere of multiple thousands of worlds would help to clean the atmosphere.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Cobalt-Blue
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Cobalt-Blue »

The real point of the supervolcano erupting is not that it was small, or that the atmosphere got exchanged with other realities but that if it erupted, Chicago would be directly in the path of everything it blew out. NEMA would have never left Atlanta for Chicago, because Chicago would have been obliterated.
Who are we?! We're the North Ashwood first string football team and cheering squad! Prepare to get your butts kicked!"

South Ashwood? Nah we wouldn't go there. They have too much of a problem with roving boy-bands having dance offs.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Cobalt-Blue wrote:The real point of the supervolcano erupting is not that it was small, or that the atmosphere got exchanged with other realities but that if it erupted, Chicago would be directly in the path of everything it blew out. NEMA would have never left Atlanta for Chicago, because Chicago would have been obliterated.

You're right that Chicago was right in the path of the fallout from the volcano, and under normal circumstance NEMA wouldn't have left Atlanta, but according to the story Atlanta was completely engulfed in flames and the commander, Lt. General Lindsey Sawyer, declared it a total loss and moved to Chicago to be closer to a manufacturing center as well as a more centralized location Nationally speaking. The intial stories of what she was dealing with describe how there was ash falling everywhere, getting into the intakes of the SAMAS, and mingling wiht the snow and just generally making life hell for everyone.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

perhaps some of the blast effects of the super volcanos were channeled dimensionally?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”