Tech questions

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: Tech questions

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I don't believe the UAR-1 or Death's Head Transports are pre-rifts. I don't have MiO anymore but I don't recall artificial gravity with the exception of the space stations spinning around to generate it.

Regarding Japan, the tech based OCC's should all work. Headhunter's might work as a Mercenary, or perhaps a "super-soldier" type experiment. You might need to do some tweaking - I don't have the books in front of me at the moment to offer suggestions on that though.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Space Marine wrote::? I'm starting up a game, and I was wondering about some tech or equipment questions. It appears that at least much of the early Coalition tech was actually Pre-cataclysm, ie the rifles, though not as good as the CE versions, the skullbots, Samas, GB's, recovered ships ect.
Is there reason to believe that things like the UAR-1 or some of the other Coalition Robots or transports were from the Pre-cataclysm era?

i've usually assumed the Coalition infantry gear (C-10, C-12, C-14, C-18, C-27, and both sets of armor) from the RMB/RUE were basically the Army's gear, and NEMA was employing "improved models" due to their smaller size, bigger budget, and "showpeice" role.
the CS just found the blueprints in their library, and started producing them. though a few errors crept in for things barely within their abilities (like the C-10's targeting scope problem..)
i also assume the iron heart tanks and aircraft were part of the army and airforce's gear as well. i can't see the army abandoning tanks entirely for robots (too expensive), and the electric drive IHA MBT's are almost as good as a robot in firepower, while being much cheaper.
likewise i tend to assume the USA SAMAS (and it's derivitives that were the prototypes for the sindwinder and wildweasel samas in WB14) were actually an army unit, not airforce. (the SAMAS doesn't make much sense for the Air Force..though it being a joint development project is certainly possible.)
I can't seem find my old copy of Mutants in orbit but did they have artificial gravity or inertial compensation technology by the time of the Rifts?
nope. the only 'artificial gravity' they had was to spin part of the ship to generate centrifical force. and 288 years later, during the time of rifts, that's still their only option.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yendor »

Actually, the Coalition's weapons (the older stuff, not new, Coalition War/109 PA stuff), is NEMA gear (includes the UAR-1 Enforcer, which was based off of the Bulldog or Mastiff NEMA robot). Only thing they don't have is the NEMA Ion Pistol, and the other NEMA robots/power armor. (Rifts Sourcebook 1 Revised & Expanded).

Short version Space Marine, yeah, they are the NEMA weapons, just (in some cases), not as good as they should/could be. Artificial Gravity doesn't exist in MIO (it would make sense if it did though, and I see no problem if you 'house rule' it in).
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Iron Manticore wrote:I'm not a big fan of the Coalition being born from old technology when everyone else seemed to be making their own.

The CS just happened to re-engineer the old NEMA tech before anyone else. Everyone else then copied or modified these designs. The became the super power it is in North America because it recovered the old tech before anyone else did.

IMO the CS is for all intents and purposes the descendants of the 'Neemans'. Remember, NEMA set up shop in Chicago, which is not that far from where Chi-town would eventfully be built.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Metathiax

Unread post by Metathiax »

you hit the nail on the head, All CS gear is engineered from the Nema plans found in the library of old chicago and the ruins of the lone star facility.

also they did receive some technology from triax to assist but they aren't quite up to the nema level yet.

however the big revelation is that archie 3 has access to the plans for ALL nema weapons and equipment and can produce them en masse if he wants,

a few all purpose bots with pilot robots and robot combat elite, or just reinforce the whole thing and make it a robot with it's own intelligence and make it a tougher prospect.

Don't feel bad about the CS useing old nema tech, Northern gun appears to use old CS tech seems like and wellington uses old military tech based on NG and triax designs. All juicer and bionic or cybernetic tech is pre rifts, Chipwell armaments well I cannot say but I would figure is just copies of better power armor using really cheap materials.

Wilks is the only NA manufacturer that stands on it's own two feet....for now.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

On my phone so I'll be brief, but all North American tech than can be directly dated to before the cataclysm is located in a download on http://jasonrichards.net

CS gear, while based on some recovered NEMA tech, is not the same as actual Golden Age tech.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Jason Richards

also, and I can't stress this enough, there is no direct NEMA to CS correlation. A lot of people want to frame NEMA as Coalition Jr. and that's not the case at all.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Metathiax

Unread post by Metathiax »

Jason Richards wrote:On my phone so I'll be brief, but all North American tech than can be directly dated to before the cataclysm is located in a download on http://jasonrichards.net

CS gear, while based on some recovered NEMA tech, is not the same as actual Golden Age tech.

Where is this I cannot find it. on your site
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Space Marine wrote::? I'm starting up a game, and I was wondering about some tech or equipment questions. It appears that at least much of the early Coalition tech was actually Pre-cataclysm, i.e. the rifles, though not as good as the CE versions, the skelabots, Samas, GB's, recovered ships etc...
Is there reason to believe that things like the UAR-1 or some of the other Coalition Robots or transports were from the Pre-cataclysm era?
I can't seem find my old copy of Mutants in orbit but did they have artificial gravity or inertial compensation technology by the time of the Rifts?
Also does anyone have an idea as to what OCC's from Rifts Japan would fit into the CE era? Or how headhunters would fit into the era.
Thanks?

The New RSB1 under the "Republicans" text answers this question.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Jason Richards wrote:also, and I can't stress this enough, there is no direct NEMA to CS correlation. A lot of people want to frame NEMA as Coalition Jr. and that's not the case at all.

Nah, They're not CS Jr., Heck they're not even CS Sr.. They're just NEMA, tho' over the intervening decades as the old values were lost some people might be willing to go the CS route.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Jason Richards

Metathiax wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:On my phone so I'll be brief, but all North American tech than can be directly dated to before the cataclysm is located in a download on http://jasonrichards.net

Where is this I cannot find it. on your site

Under downloads: Chaos Earth Resources. There is also an errata there if you are interested.

Jason Richards

keir451 wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:also, and I can't stress this enough, there is no direct NEMA to CS correlation. A lot of people want to frame NEMA as Coalition Jr. and that's not the case at all.

Nah, They're not CS Jr., Heck they're not even CS Sr.. They're just NEMA, tho' over the intervening decades as the old values were lost some people might be willing to go the CS route.

Right. There are generations of Dark Age between the final fall of NEMA and any other civilization, and the formation of what would become the Coalition States. There is no direct correlation between any part of civilization from the Golden Age and what we see in Rifts. Everything in Rifts started from scratch, even if people did occasionally rediscover things.

The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Jason Richards wrote:
keir451 wrote:

Right. There are generations of Dark Age between the final fall of NEMA and any other civilization, and the formation of what would become the Coalition States. There is no direct correlation between any part of civilization from the Golden Age and what we see in Rifts. Everything in Rifts started from scratch, even if people did occasionally rediscover things.

With the noted exceptions of The Republic of Japan, TRIAX Industries, the Tundra Rangers, the Sovietski, the Geo Front, the Republicans and Mindwerks.
Last edited by The Galactus Kid on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jason Richards

Right.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”