The fear under an volcanic ash cloud.

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

The fear under an volcanic ash cloud.

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

One of the things we know that happened in Chaos Earth was a large number of volcanos erupted including Yellowstone. This would cover most of NA in a thick volcanic ash cloud. I would guess most of you have never been under one. I was back on May, 18th 1980 when Mt. Saint Helens erupted. As soon as the ash cloud hit us it was pitch black outside. We could just barely see the street lights and could not even see the street in front of the house.

People all over my state panicked from the ash since they had never seen anything like this. Travelers were being blocked from entering buildings if they were covered in ash. There were fears even that it could carry diseases in some places (I know dumb but they were in a panic). Just being under the cloud was scary. I mean most people expect light at noon not something darker then a cloudy midnight in places.

After that I suppressed most of the memories of that day. I started having a regular nightmare where my family had to escape a cloud. At the time thought it was a tornado. I had this nightmare almost weekly for about six years. The nightmares only stopped when I discovered it was about Mt. Saint Helens and got my memories back.

I got all that just from one day under an ash cloud and was only five years old. The survivors of Chaos Earth will be facing most likely weeks of this. It would not be long before large numbers are showing stress just from the ash cloud (let alone the monsters and end of civilization). Just not seeing the sun or even a hint of it for days would be to much for many.

Just wanted to post this as a suggestion to GM that they remember even the environment will be a stress on the PC. If I get a chance of running Chaos Earth there will be random HF rolls for just dealing with the ash for so long. I figure at least HF 10 every 12 to 24 hours.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Jason Richards

Re: The fear under an volcanic ash cloud.

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Awesome point. Insanity and Shell Shock definitely should play a large role in Chaos Earth.

Not that you're insane... :)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Jason Richards wrote:Awesome point. Insanity and Shell Shock definitely should play a large role in Chaos Earth.

I would say at least 1 in 4 survivors would be considered mentally ill by the end of the first week.

Jason Richards wrote:Not that you're insane... :)

Don't worry the voices tell me all the time, how sane I am. :clown:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

But how is that gameplay? What do the players do in regards to it?

Basically it sounds like they watch their character slowly take mental damage, and that's it, no interaction. Not that that's terrible - COC certainly made a feature of sanity loss. But if you intended some interaction, there's none in this yet - just slowly meandering towards insanity as the saves eventually fail.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Noon wrote:But how is that gameplay? What do the players do in regards to it?

Basically it sounds like they watch their character slowly take mental damage, and that's it, no interaction. Not that that's terrible - COC certainly made a feature of sanity loss. But if you intended some interaction, there's none in this yet - just slowly meandering towards insanity as the saves eventually fail.

To offset that you could have your chara see a psych officer once the nightmares start (we even do that in real life too) :lol:
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I remember that event from when i was a kid. I remember not being able to play outside for a little over a week. I lived in the Dalles Or. I remember how it was grey all the time.

As far as the characters go they are suppose to be those few who stand up and say I will not go out like this. Not without a fight, and etc, etc. They may feel the stress and the effects, but they are suppose to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Find hope where there is none.

but thats just me.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”