A few questions on Horror Factor

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

A few questions on Horror Factor

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

One of my gaming group asked me to post some questions about Horror Factor.

Horror Factor "HF"
All sources agree that to pass a HF check you need to roll equal to or better than the HF number with adds.

Most sources agree that HF lasts 1 round. There was one source that stated that it needed to be rolled against each successive round if you failed, if the source was still present.

Penalties if failed:
1 Loose 1 action (assume to be next action)
2 Cannot defend against 1st attack from cause of horror factor following failed roll (some do not specify attack has to come from cause of HF)
3 Initiative drops to zero (most sources say to not roll initiative)

Now most write ups treat HF as something that occurs between rounds.
What if it, for some reason, occurs during the round due to a spell, psionic, ability or something popping out that has a HF.

example 1) A mage throws a spell on their second action that has a HF to it. Does the effects take place immediately? and do they carry over till the second action of the next round?

example 2) Say the above mage instead of throwing his spell on his second action throws it on his fifth action and some of the affected who failed have already used up their actions this round. Are they effected starting next round or does essentially nothing happen?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: A few questions on Horror Factor

Unread post by Grazzik »

SpiritInterface wrote:Most sources agree that HF lasts 1 round. There was one source that stated that it needed to be rolled against each successive round if you failed, if the source was still present.
Typically, it is rolled once for the shock. That reference may be an exception, but I could see where a GM may have multiple rolls... let's say a group of people have to walk through a mine field, the PC may have to roll every time someone else steps on a mine or for every round that they spend in the field... walking through mines would be an horrific experience. Whatever fits the scenario, but typical is just once.

SpiritInterface wrote: 2 Cannot defend against 1st attack from cause of horror factor following failed roll (some do not specify attack has to come from cause of HF)
Use common sense with this - you can have HF from war and explosions, or even Awe Factor from beautiful things. While distracted, the PC may not be attacked or otherwise interfered with by war, the explosion, or beautiful thing, but others may take advantage.

SpiritInterface wrote:What if it, for some reason, occurs during the round due to a spell, psionic, ability or something popping out that has a HF.

example 1) A mage throws a spell on their second action that has a HF to it. Does the effects take place immediately? and do they carry over till the second action of the next round?
"Sorry, can't be scared of you right now, must wait 8 seconds for my brain to catch up. Y'know, Monday mornings, right?" does not fly when in combat. It happens immediately, subject to any additional conditions set out in the spell or power description.

SpiritInterface wrote:example 2) Say the above mage instead of throwing his spell on his second action throws it on his fifth action and some of the affected who failed have already used up their actions this round. Are they effected starting next round or does essentially nothing happen?
I've always treated this like dodging without actions, simply borrow an action from the next round. I would also carry the loss of initiative over to the next round too. In the case of the undefended first attack, if opponents have a remaining attack but do something else before the round ends, they forfeit that advantage, but if they cast the HF spell on their last action and no one else had an action, then I'd probably carry the effect over to the next round. The underlying rationale for all this is that while we chunk combat into rounds for ease of resolution, the combat is still continuous and fluid, so bleed over of effects should be factored in from round to round. The in-game combatants aren't counting actions or carrying 15-second egg timers...

Return to “G.M.s Forum”