Working on a CS vs Tolkeen battle location

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Working on a CS vs Tolkeen battle location

Unread post by darthauthor »

I want to recreate a defensive battle for the Tolkeen Defense Forces.

Questions are:

How does the CS find their enemies camp?

How do they design their attack? Air strike, Artillary, ground based attack?

Best guess as to how the battle would go for the 1st two rounds basically the whole battle.

I figured Tolkeen forces would make a moving (every 1d4 days) Forward Operating Base on or near a nexus location or at least within a mile of a ley line to get the benefits for their spell casters.
My story point is that Tolkeen defense forces and their allies can stop at the base to receive medical attention, restock, get boosted magically, etc. If I were running the war I'd have a high level (6 level or higher) ley line walker casting out:

1. Cleanse for a bath and launder clothes,
2. Sustain to keep troops in the field without food for 2 weeks,
3. Fire Warlock "gifts" out Fire Globes (Napalm hand grenade),
4. TW recharger (E-clip charger),
5. Issue magic scrolls, Talismons, Necros Bone of invisibility & Skull with Flaming Eyes
6. Intelligence group of psyhics/mages (locate spells and that sort of thing)/espionage thinkers to collect, organization, verify and distribute info on CS forces location, size, and make up to right enemies of the CS. As well as Tolkeen forces and allies in need of aid. Message via magic pigeon and Astral Projection. No radio messages except as mis-information against the CS.
7. CS prisoners may be taken here (dead or alive) to gather information. Pyschic interrogation. "Agony," "Words of Truth" and "Charm" spell. Necromancer eats a CS officer eyes and brain for info. Corpses double as raw materials for Necros bone weapons and animated dead. Dead supernatural allies are recovered when possible for like reasons.
8. Recycled CS equipment for materials & parts. Use in espionage / disguise / undercover
9. Weather reports. They can control the weather.
10. Fresh water (create water) and Old Believer's "Bake Magic Kulich" & "Colored Egg"
11. Equipment/energy weapon/armor/clothing mending
12. "Sheltering Force" sleeping quarters.
13. Magic and Psychic healing powered by the ley line.
14. Out going groups can get "Fly as an Eagle" Cast upon them (average 4 hours of flight time up to 100 mph * with Nexus buff) under Invisibility:Superior while taking off to conceal base location.
15. Teleport: Lesser (average 60 miles; 90% success ratio) to teleport out food & water, magic scrolls, paper in a bottle (info/maps/orders/pictures), supplies, and weapons to pre-determined secret concealed, known to few, supply cashes.
darthauthor
Hero

Re: Working on a CS vs Tolkeen battle location

Unread post by darthauthor »

The CS military advance is a little confusing to me. The state of Minnesota is covered with water—more than any other state. Minnesota has more miles of shoreline than Hawaii, California, and Florida combined. There are 6,564 (approximately 69,200 miles) natural rivers and streams in Minnesota. And supposedly 10,000 lakes.

To find a moving supply base I’d need to get a spy inside their camp. An electronic bug could be planted on one of the people or their equipment. That, or have a picture of someone I know is there so they could be found via remote viewing. Astral projection and remote viewing (if they can get a picture of someone there or going there I can get an aerial pic (during the day and attempt to match it to terrain maps).

So, I'd send a CS operative to get caught to be taken to the supply camp. Once there they are to somehow find a way to give the location away (psionics? cybernetic implant?)

The problems are, for the CS, the operative could be discovered through interrogation. So the CS person can't know. They will be implanted and set up to be caught.

The second is the camp is relocated frequently. To take them out, the strike will have to be as soon as they determine the location.

Third, the strike will be near a ley line, it will have to be a suprise, fast, and deadly before the magic users can summon a demon or something. Guessing a couple of dozen SAMAS.

I left out that the mobile Tolkeen supply camp would probably have psychics, one of which is likely to have sixth sense. Any attack against their camp is likely to give the pyshic a 1 minute warning.

So that is how long they have to warn everyone prepare for the attack or flee before it begins.

The resident Ley Line Walker and/or Shifter will open a "Rift to Limbo" or "Rift Teleportation"; perhaps a "Circle of Travel."
The camp would also probably be hidden with an illusion (forest or terrain).

I'd also surround the camp (500 feet?) with supernatural guardians whose orders are to eliminate small patrols and sound the alarm for large ones. Summoned Shadow Beast for night. Summoned Lesser Beings for Day. Also some normal humans disguised as lost CS grunts with stolen id's and the most recent passwords and intel they could get. Their cover story is that they were captured and escaped.

Still the CS, I assume, has cannons which, I assume, can fire 10 or 20 miles range. Targeting would be tricky without coordinates. Same with bombers and rockets and such. It's just expensive to saturate bomb 100s of acres of land indiscriminately. I believe that was one of the problems in the Vietnam.
As long as the supply camp is small, camoflauged, regularly and randomly moves the CS can't know where it is and if they find out they'd have to move their air force, rocket attack or artillary which will take hours to days. 1 minute before their bombs hit the Tolkeen psychic would warn everyone and the resident spell caster would evacuate them to a pocket dimension for an 6 hours or so or teleport them down the ley line or circle of travel back to Tolkeen. 1 minutes is enough time to cast the spell.

I don't see how the CS can pin down a well coordinated magical force Tolkeen supply base.

They'd have to "secure" the entire ley line to prevent its use. More than likely the CS would "patrol" ley lines with skycycles or SAMAS to "mist" any non-CS presense. Maybe set up their own Forward Operating Base to eradicate anything in or near or coming out of the Ley Lines.

IF I were CS I'd either avoid ley lines by mulitple miles or set a perimeter around them to eradicate anything that comes out of them or approaches them.

I'm trying to remember what they, the CS, did in the books. Passed the ley lines by and raced for Tolkeen?

Return to “G.M.s Forum”