Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post subject: Combat Encounters
Unread postPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 pm

D-Bee

Ive been running a game on roll20 for about a year now and I'm having trouble making combat fun. I have a big random encounter list that i think is interesting npc's, situations and variety of characters and motivations all with varying degrees of difficulty. Theres a mix of noncombat encounters based on roleplaying too. What im finding is that our combats are just really bland and really long. combats lasting our whole 6 hour session with just rolling to hit, rolling for damage and your turn is over. In the minion war these demons have a lot of mdc and nickel and diming them down takes a long time. Is this just how it is or do gm's usually just say things die a lot sooner than they do? How do you handle long boring combats?

Post subject: Re: Combat Encounters
Unread postPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 pm

Adventurer

Could you maybe give a bit more detail on the scope and standard practices of how you run your combat? I'd like to give some advice for how I do things, but it might help to see what you're doing as well.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
Combat is a slog. The only way to move it along is to force short turns. Don't let them hash out options - if there's something they want to do, they find out if it's possible or not by trying to do it. If they want more information (either new info or repeated info), their turn is spent gaining that information. Remember too that this isn't a d20 system - move OR attack, and only with ranged weapons can they do both (typically as a wild shot, or reduced bonuses, dependant on character abilities).

Too much time in combat is lost with players needing a scene re-described to them, or trying to gauge if an action has a likelihood of success before attempting it. Encourage them to pay attention and just try things by making it clear that if they don't, they lose their action due to looking around or just inaction.

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Lore: Superhuman

OK, Boomer.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 pm

D-Bee

Well our cyber knight is using a particle beam rifle doing 1d4*10+8 md. takes a long time to take down or do enough damage for a gargoyle to flee. Then multiply the encounter by 8 gargoyles maybe. Thats a lot of damage that needs to be done to kill or subdue 8 gargoyles. alternatively, I feel like all these large MDC total baddies all do garbage for damage. So you have situations of high MDC total beings with low md output against high mdc total characters with low md output. average for a gargoyle is 400 mdc so he has to hit 10 times and do almost max damage each time to kill that one gargoyle. gargoyles arent going to stand and let you kill them so they would make an attempt to flee before hitting 0 but i think my point still stands.

This scenario seems to be a frequent occurrence especially with the minion war. baalrogs are kind of the same deal but with a couple magic tricks that dont seem to really tip the advantage one way or another. Am I just using boring combat encounters and being unimaginative? Is combat slow and un-fun in Rifts purposeful to dissuade combat and stick to RP?