Megaversal Currency Conversions

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Megaversal Currency Conversions

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

How do you folks handle price conversions between megaversal settings?

For instance, how much would a piece of tech (like a Wilks Laser Pistol) cost in the Palladium Fantasy world. Or an enchanted weapon from Palladium Fantasy on Rifts Earth.
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Megaversal Currency Conversions

Unread post by Warshield73 »

For the magic weapons from Palladium that is easy. Prices for Rune and Holy Weapons can be found in WB 2 Atlantis and in several other books.

The Wilks is harder. If it is straight MDC then a charged laser pistol would be more valuable than any greater rune weapon. Once the clip is empty, kind of an odd, nearly indestructible, trinket. Truthfully this would be so unbalancing it would be hard to imagine but I guess it could happen.

That is my take at least.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:How do you folks handle price conversions between megaversal settings?

For instance, how much would a piece of tech (like a Wilks Laser Pistol) cost in the Palladium Fantasy world. Or an enchanted weapon from Palladium Fantasy on Rifts Earth.

Since you're looking at different worlds, there would be different market prices because supply and demand would be radically different.

But if that Wilk's Laser Pistol still does Mega-Damage on PFW, it'd probably be a REALLY high price.
:D
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Palladium has a neutral energy matrix, so that Wilk's Laser Pistol ends up being a very sleek looking vellum-weight.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

dreicunan wrote:Palladium has a neutral energy matrix, so that Wilk's Laser Pistol ends up being a very sleek looking vellum-weight.

I've heard this before but I didn't know it was canon. Is it in one of the books?
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

dreicunan wrote:Palladium has a neutral energy matrix, so that Wilk's Laser Pistol ends up being a very sleek looking vellum-weight.

Huh that is a really interesting concept. Is this in one of the books and I didn't notice it?

Even if it isn't I might steal it anyways . . .
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. The energy matrix affecting technology concept is from Dimension Book 7: Megaversal Builder. As a result, Rifts tech simply won't work on the Palladium world (PF). The book also states that this was a creation of Carl Gleba, while Kevin just had converted M.D. to S.D.C./H.P. point for point. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. The energy matrix affecting technology concept is from Dimension Book 7: Megaversal Builder. As a result, Rifts tech simply won't work on the Palladium world (PF). The book also states that this was a creation of Carl Gleba, while Kevin just had converted M.D. to S.D.C./H.P. point for point. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

Both of these are really solid options. This is why I love this game :D So many options and hidden details just waiting to be found.

dreicunan
Hero

Prysus wrote:

Is there anything more Palladium than publishing a rule and then undercutting it in the same book?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

dreicunan wrote:
Prysus wrote:

Is there anything more Palladium than publishing a rule and then undercutting it in the same book?

I just read what he was talking about and I didn't see undercutting I saw a new rule with an idea for change to that rule for people that don't like it. I might say is there anything more Palladium than giving you options for almost everything.
dreicunan
Hero

Warshield73 wrote:
dreicunan wrote:
Prysus wrote:

I just read what he was talking about and I didn't see undercutting I saw a new rule with an idea for change to that rule for people that don't like it. I might say is there anything more Palladium than giving you options for almost everything.

Clearly we see it differently, then. On page 9-10 they establish the rules about dimensional energy matrices. Then on page 66 we get an in-universe essay written by bloody Plato of Lazlo in which he confirms that technology from Rifts Earth won't function there due to the Neutral Dimensional Matrix, then we get an author's note explaining the background to the rule and then mentioning what Kevin "Why would I run my own system the way the system says it should be run?" Siembieda does. It is a silly thing to do and a silly place to do it (which, yes, Palladium editing, so par for the course, but this particular example has always seemed particularly silly to me).
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

dreicunan wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
dreicunan wrote:
Prysus wrote:

Clearly we see it differently, then.

Clearly.

Pyrus, thanks for reminding where this is. I haven't read through this book in ages and I forgot how much stuff is in there that I really enjoy. It even has me thinking about making a change to one of my convention games.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”