Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Adventurer

I'm gearing up for a new one-on-one game with my wife and I'm hoping to pick the forum's collective minds for advice. I recently found my copy of the Reign of Terror adventure for the Call of Cthulhu RPG on my shelf and it got my brain juices flowing.

I thought that I would take the basic framework found in the book but run the adventure using the Palladium system (as it is currently my go to for just about anything). However, I'm trying to figure out which of the various systems (if any) would be the best to recreate the feeling of CoC without needing to convert a ton of stuff over or drop a lot of information from the book itself. I'm leaning towards using BtS, but I don't know that its the best fit.

Any advice would be welcome! And just to be clear, I'm not asking for advice converting any of the material or looking to violate forum rules on this, I'm simply looking for advice on what version of the system would best fit the Lovecraftian vibe of the other game.

Thanks in advance,
Captain Nibbz

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:36 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

Beyond the supernatural. just ban the offensive classes like hunters, firewalkers, psimechanics, etc. if using the second edition (or the 1st, there are still some of those there)
just use the regular people and investigator types, for a game focused more on intellectual puzzle solving and surviving eldritch encounters without tons of firepower or psychic/magic power to speak of themselves.

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:15 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Captain_Nibbz wrote:
I'm gearing up for a new one-on-one game with my wife and I'm hoping to pick the forum's collective minds for advice. I recently found my copy of the Reign of Terror adventure for the Call of Cthulhu RPG on my shelf and it got my brain juices flowing.

I thought that I would take the basic framework found in the book but run the adventure using the Palladium system (as it is currently my go to for just about anything). However, I'm trying to figure out which of the various systems (if any) would be the best to recreate the feeling of CoC without needing to convert a ton of stuff over or drop a lot of information from the book itself. I'm leaning towards using BtS, but I don't know that its the best fit.

Any advice would be welcome! And just to be clear, I'm not asking for advice converting any of the material or looking to violate forum rules on this, I'm simply looking for advice on what version of the system would best fit the Lovecraftian vibe of the other game.
Thanks in advance,
Captain Nibbz

If you use BtS, I'd drop the ISP multipliers. The more I play BtS, the more I hate that mechanic. That's just my opinion. If you like it, of course, use it!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:05 am

Adventurer

Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84
I hate it too. BTS 1E is the game of choice, I'm almost literally doing that with the Black Cat Society game. The sanity mechanic is pseudo-replaced by M.E. damage

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
It just occurred to me I've never played Nightbane.
Or Beyond the Supernatural.
Or Splicers.
Or Dead Reign.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?????

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:15 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Come to GenCon or the Open House and this can be remedied

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:59 pm

D-Bee

Sounds like a fun time, I am interested to hear on how you handle SAN checks and SAN loss?

The Victim class in BTS is a good one for NPCs

Is there a Palladium equivalent of Hobo? That was a great class in the Call of Cthulhu game it had a few good survival skills.

Give up free will at your peril.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Champion

Captain_Nibbz wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Captain Nibbz

I think BtS is built for this sort of thing pretty well. That said, if I can't try to recreate the awesomeness of Old Man Henderson, I'm not sure if a Cthulhu-type game is really worth it.

Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:25 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Beyond The Supernatural, but go with the Average Person or Victim type characters.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:32 pm

D-Bee

Reading the Old Man Henderson link. I'm impressed and laughing my ass off.

Give up free will at your peril.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:41 pm

Champion

hbrika wrote:
Reading the Old Man Henderson link. I'm impressed and laughing my ass off.

Yeah, that story's always good for a laugh. Total plot derailment was never done so awesomely as with Old Man Henderson.

Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Explorer

To be fair Pulp Cthulhu is fun, where you could essentially play Indiana Jones type character, essentially cinematic adventure. So there is no reason your character cannot pull something akin to Old Man Henderson. Nothing quite as insane

Kind like Buffy did in S1 or was it 2 with The Judge that could not he harmed by the hand of mortal man. So she used a rocket launcher to blow him up.

So you could easily use Ninjas and Superspies minus chi powers and just have well trained operatives kicking the crap out of cultists.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 am

Knight

Use Beyond the Supernatural characters.
Use Rifts monsters.

Enjoy.

The PCs will learn that "bigger guns" is really not an option...unless they start stealing tanks and AC-130 gunships, and that just opens up the PCs to be hunted by everyone and everything.

-STS

Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:55 pm

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
slade the sniper wrote:
Use Beyond the Supernatural characters.
Use Rifts monsters.

Enjoy.

The PCs will learn that "bigger guns" is really not an option...unless they start stealing tanks and AC-130 gunships, and that just opens up the PCs to be hunted by everyone and everything.

-STS

Conversion Book 3 is probably a good source as well.