Naked vampires?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Naked vampires?

Unread post by VIsgar »

When a vampire turns into a bat or mist does their clothes change also or do they just run around naked?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Naked vampires?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

depends if the game is PG or NC-17. is the short answer.

but vamps are not naked even if they are nude.
Naked's main meaning is 'to be without protection'. And a Vamp always takes its immunities with it, unless there has been some magic worked on it to take them away.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

VIsgar wrote:When a vampire turns into a bat or mist does their clothes change also or do they just run around naked?

This is addressed in text description. Not sure which Vampire description (Rifts, Palladium Fantasy, etc) you have/using, but the one in LotD2 states when they use their metamorph abilities they do take their clothes with them (along with personal artifacts, though there are limits to just what can be taken). This is unusual/unique since metamorphosis won't take clothing with them (at least going by spells and IIRC creature examples like Dragon).
bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:depends if the game is PG or NC-17. is the short answer.

Question is less "PG or N-17" and more "Male or Female".

Terry Pratchett answered that question in Thud! Iirc
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Vampire Kingdoms Revised gave the offical answer: Vampires clothing small weapons always magically reappear when the vampire returns to human form after metamorphing, as do small personal items they are carrying, but only if those items are their property, stolen items cannot come with them during a metamorphasis. Body armor and large, cumbersome weapons also cannot come with and fall to the ground when they change shape.

Where they go is a mystery and not explained, just "It's magic" is the only explination.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Mysteries of magic actually kind of explained this to a degree, though not directly. Essentially, things that are within the vampire's aura, and have the touch of his aura (owned things) are what transform. Same idea with burster's and their fire field, and intangible heroes and what they can carry. The aura extends out a small distance from the person, and you leave a touch of your aura on things you own (almost like radioactivity). This also explains how things like locate, object read and remote viewing work, as the users of these powers are tapping into the left over aura on the object to track back to the source.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Prince Artemis wrote:Mysteries of magic actually kind of explained this to a degree, though not directly. Essentially, things that are within the vampire's aura, and have the touch of his aura (owned things) are what transform. Same idea with burster's and their fire field, and intangible heroes and what they can carry. The aura extends out a small distance from the person, and you leave a touch of your aura on things you own (almost like radioactivity). This also explains how things like locate, object read and remote viewing work, as the users of these powers are tapping into the left over aura on the object to track back to the source.

That explanation though doesn't really apply here.
Transformations are almost always pretty clear that they do NOT apply to clothing. Vampires are pretty unique in that their transformation does affect clothing and small items. Very few others do, actually, I am not able to think of any others of the top of my head at the moment to be honest.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

You get to bring your stuff in all 3 types: bat, wolf or mist.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Vampire Kingdoms Revised gave the offical answer: Vampires clothing small weapons always magically reappear when the vampire returns to human form after metamorphing, as do small personal items they are carrying, but only if those items are their property, stolen items cannot come with them during a metamorphasis. Body armor and large, cumbersome weapons also cannot come with and fall to the ground when they change shape.

Prior to revised, it was also in the original Vampire Kingdoms on page 23.

PRPG vamps (179-180) and BTS Vamps (183) didn't mention this, so at the time I would've assumed they traveled naked, seems Vampire Kingdoms could be where this originates.

I'm not really sure why the modesty, since vampires are bound to be more naked in Rifts anyway due to the SDC clothes and MD weapons problem. Of course, PRPG/BTS were just generally more gruesome and brutal settings compared to Rifts, so it's to be expected.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

As others already have answered the question, vampires take their clothes with them during metamorphosis.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Ice Dragon wrote:As others already have answered the question, vampires take their clothes with them during metamorphosis.

To throw out a sideways question....Based on the above....Does that mean that people affected by a meta- spell get their clothes back at the end of the spell?
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Ice Dragon
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Ice Dragon wrote:As others already have answered the question, vampires take their clothes with them during metamorphosis.

To throw out a sideways question....Based on the above....Does that mean that people affected by a meta- spell get their clothes back at the end of the spell?

IMHO, no - that's a special for vampires. Imagine a dragon in human form metamorphosis back to it's true dragon form will shret it's human clothes and vice versa will be naked :wink:. The spell it self will do the same. That's how I handle metamorphosis as a GM and player.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

*nods* I just had a sideways thought.
Thou, if I was GMing a PG game (like one at a convention) I might just include that little cordial in the game.
Ice Dragon
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:*nods* I just had a sideways thought.
Thou, if I was GMing a PG game (like one at a convention) I might just include that little cordial in the game.

Would be like a scene in Terminator, when Arnie was sent back in time and arrived naked ;-).

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Ice Dragon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:*nods* I just had a sideways thought.

Would be like a scene in Terminator, when Arnie was sent back in time and arrived naked ;-).

To avoid the nude part of that scene, yup.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”