Anyone using A.R. for cover (house rule)?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Voodoolaw
Wanderer

Anyone using A.R. for cover (house rule)?

Unread post by Voodoolaw »

Our group is mostly using the RMB and GMG plus some house rules for our ranged combat. I used to just give penalties for firing at targets behind cover, based on the size of the visible profile. Now I am considering giving the cover an "armor rating" which would work similar to the 12 needed for called shots. I was thinking 12 for 1/3rd cover (shields), 15 for 2/3rds, and 18 for 9/10ths, just to keep it simple. Anything less than that, but 8 or higher, would hit the cover and possibly deal damage to it (like a psi-shield).

Just curious if anyone else does something similar, and what minimum called shot number/armor rating they use for levels of cover.

We play loose with them sometimes, but here are the combat modifiers we use, if anyone is curious.

Spoiler:
Additional aim action.....+2
Heavy Weapons......-2
Off-hand use..........-2
Range > 15 m....... -2
Range per 100 m... -1
Wild.................... -6 (no bonuses)
Blind................... -10
Hit Point Damage.. -2
Dodged during initiative pass -2 (we play using 5 passes per round, with actions divided, Juicers and classes with the "dodge, roll, somersault and come up shooting" line ignore this).
Attacker in melee... -2 (unless using a pistol)
Move < 2 m.......... -2
Move < P.P. in m.... -4
Move > P.P. in m.....Wild shot

Target unaware.... +2
Moving............... -2 (-1 per 50 kph)
In melee............. -3
Per 10' of target profile... +1
< 10'................. +0
< 4'................... -2
< 2'................... -4
< 1'................... -8 (head)
< 6".................. -10 (heart/eye/bulls-eye)

Full Darkness...... -6
w/ Night vision.... -6
w/ Thermal......... -2

Partial Light........ -2
w/ Night-vision.... -0
w/ Thermal......... -1

Light Smoke........ -2
w/ Night Vision.... -2
w/ Thermal......... -1

Heavy Smoke..... -4
w/ night vision.... -4
w/ thermal......... -2
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Re: Anyone using A.R. for cover (house rule)?

Unread post by Grell »

I believe the required 12 to hit for a called shot has been removed as of RUE, at least I can no longer find it. I do know that called shots now require 2 actions and aimed, called shots require 3. In my games, shooting targets behind cover requires a called shot for partial cover and a clear line of sight for full cover.

I do like the idea of A.R. for things like flimsy or thin cover in addition to the above requirements. Moving the entire cover mechanic to A.R. would definitely simplify things though!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Voodoolaw
Wanderer

Unread post by Voodoolaw »

Grell wrote:I believe the required 12 to hit for a called shot has been removed as of RUE, at least I can no longer find it. I do know that called shots now require 2 actions and aimed, called shots require 3. In my games, shooting targets behind cover requires a called shot for partial cover and a clear line of sight for full cover.

Yeah, we still use the old RMB and GMG rules (in some form) since half my group hates change, haha. We still play ADnD 1e/2e, 2e Shadowrun, d6 Star Wars, and TSR Marvel Superheroes. They get on me enough for some of the house rules. So we are still living in 1990 with +3 Aimed, +1 Burst, +1 per 3 levels.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Voodoolaw wrote:
Grell wrote:I believe the required 12 to hit for a called shot has been removed as of RUE, at least I can no longer find it. I do know that called shots now require 2 actions and aimed, called shots require 3. In my games, shooting targets behind cover requires a called shot for partial cover and a clear line of sight for full cover.

Yeah, we still use the old RMB and GMG rules (in some form) since half my group hates change, haha. We still play ADnD 1e/2e, 2e Shadowrun, d6 Star Wars, and TSR Marvel Superheroes. They get on me enough for some of the house rules. So we are still living in 1990 with +3 Aimed, +1 Burst, +1 per 3 levels.

In a lot of ways, I prefer the old firearm rules. I'm thinking about making a full return to them in my campaign, but those old burst rules can lead to some LEGENDARY one shot kills. :lol:
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
bobharly
Explorer

Unread post by bobharly »

I recently implemented AR ratings to cover. Some positions will have a predetermined AR value, but sometimes I will just role a 1d20 and based on the result tell them how good (or poor) their cover is. They can stay there or look around for a better hiding place. I also us AR ratings for shields (8 for small and 12 for large) and for body armor that is not full environmental coverage I will calculate up it AR by estimated coverage of the body. I don't allow for dodging bullets, so finding cover and wearing armor is important to survival.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”