Questions on rift and roll 20

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Riftmaker
Adventurer

Questions on rift and roll 20

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Has anyone out there run rifts on roll 20? I'd be interested in hearing what goes into setting the game up and running a session over that platform.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Re: Questions on rift and roll 20

Unread post by mercedogre »

ive played only
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Riftmaker wrote:Has anyone out there run rifts on roll 20? I'd be interested in hearing what goes into setting the game up and running a session over that platform.

I play Rifts in Roll20 and even ran something (breifly) in it. If you don't use maps (and Rifts is really not set up for minature play) then there's basically no setup at all. you set your names to your characters names (GM can select from a list so NPC names appear), and just...start playing. Die rolling is simple and fast.

There is more depth for those who want to use it (Such as the GM being able to pick music to stream to everyone for mood, some support for card mechanics that I never used, formatting and other odds and ends), but to just play it's very fast and you can learn the rest as you want to.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
spookyc
D-Bee
Comment: I am a meat popsicle.

Unread post by spookyc »

I'm starting my first Roll20 Rifts campaign this Friday night! Incidentally, it's my first time GMing in 20 years... So far, it's been a cool process. The system is full of organizational tools and convenient ways to do things, like creating a macro to roll damage for each weapon, etc. I had all my players (8 have joined and 6 have been active) create their characters in the program. I made a macro to roll 3D6 eight times, which made it a quicker process than with real dice.

I'll update this after Friday and let you know how it went!
spookyc
D-Bee

Unread post by spookyc »

So, my first game went pretty good, considering I was not all that prepared. On top of the normal stuff for running a campaign, I had to try and learn how to use Roll20 as well. Now, you could run a game with much less preparation than I was trying for, but I'm the kind of guy that wants to get the best out of a platform, and since Roll20 is so feature-rich, I found myself kind of drowning in all the preparation. I think this Friday will go much smoother.

My team of five - a Lemurian Scout, a Cyber-Knight, a Justice Ranger, a Psyscape Psi-Tech, and a Machine Person Refurbisher from the Three Galaxies - fought a bunch of grave ghouls (normal, and a few variations of my own creation) on the way to a rendezvous with a mysterious old man who has beckoned them with the promise of a job that pays 'very well.' The combat encounter was all we were able to fit in, but it was pretty fun! Maybe I'll chronicle the campaign in the forums or on my blog, in case anyone wants to see how it goes.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

does roll 20 even have a character sheet set for palladium?
spookyc
D-Bee

Unread post by spookyc »

Yes, there are two. One is for Rifts, the other a general Megaversal sheet. The Megaversal sheet is way better.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”