Phantom RCC

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lassic
D-Bee

Phantom RCC

Unread post by lassic »

I just recently rolled one of these. I have been playing this game for a very long time and never actually seen a player play one. I have found a few missing items or omissions, and have googled to try and find and answer to no avail. I will list them off and see if anyone has any thoughts, or personal rulings for them. They are listed on Page 36 of Phase World book 2 (Blue one)
1) Do you reroll their MDC every time they manifest a physical body, or do you just roll the once and modify it?
a) Can you use Physical skills to enhance the physical form? (Take a look at pg 38 and the bottom part of the "physical form" paragraph.)
2) It does not list an increase in MDC as the character gets more experienced. Is this supposed to be a fixed amount?
3) Given they can turn themselves into a beam of light and travel at the speed of light, I have assumed that they can "fly" and travel the cosmos in light form. That their energy form is formless and can travel in whichever direction light could. Is this your take?

Thanks for all of your thoughts and inputs

Lassic
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Re: Phantom RCC

Unread post by mercedogre »

Ben Affleck was the bomb in "Phantoms", YO!!
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

lassic wrote:I just recently rolled one of these. I have been playing this game for a very long time and never actually seen a player play one. I have found a few missing items or omissions, and have googled to try and find and answer to no avail. I will list them off and see if anyone has any thoughts, or personal rulings for them. They are listed on Page 36 of Phase World book 2 (Blue one)
1) Do you reroll their MDC every time they manifest a physical body, or do you just roll the once and modify it?

Roll once and modify, it's always the same base for that phantom when they manifest.

a) Can you use Physical skills to enhance the physical form? (Take a look at pg 38 and the bottom part of the "physical form" paragraph.)

Negative, their artifical bodies do not benifit from physical training. They get a few minor bonuses plus whatever attribute they rolled, but physical skills don't apply.

2) It does not list an increase in MDC as the character gets more experienced. Is this supposed to be a fixed amount?

Correct. Many MDC creatures do not get MDC as they level. Some do, others do not, this is one of the "Do Nots"

3) Given they can turn themselves into a beam of light and travel at the speed of light, I have assumed that they can "fly" and travel the cosmos in light form. That their energy form is formless and can travel in whichever direction light could. Is this your take?

Correct. Do note that they will still revert to normal form once their PE in minutes has passed.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and inputs

Lassic

No prob, pretty basic questions here. The phantoms are a very interesting race to play, with a few drawbacks to round 'em out.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Agrees with NS.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

mercedogre wrote:Ben Affleck was the bomb in "Phantoms", YO!!

Nods in agreement.
lassic
D-Bee

Unread post by lassic »

Thanks again for the responses. It was my take, but I wanted to be able to go to the GM with inputs other then mine. Kind of taking my biases and desires out of it. He had never seen one either.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

lassic wrote:Thanks again for the responses. It was my take, but I wanted to be able to go to the GM with inputs other then mine. Kind of taking my biases and desires out of it. He had never seen one either.

Just note that "Flying the Cosmos" in light speed won't really get you very far. Getting to a planet a mere 30 light years away would take...30 years. meaning whatever you wanted to go there to do is already too late. It's fine for Phatoms who have no real influence on things to just drift around taking thousands of years to get places. but considering even ONE galaxy is hundreds of thousands of light years across, I think it's safe to say a phantom who wants to get anything done in any amount of time has to take a ship like anyone else.

It is however fantastic for getting around a planet once you arrive.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Distance the curse of Phase world.

Time space teleport becomes a very important spell to aquire.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

say652 wrote:Distance the curse of Phase world.

Time space teleport becomes a very important spell to aquire.

That is why they find companions with FTL ships.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I have a new question about the Phantom - what is the range of their Illusions?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Glistam wrote:I have a new question about the Phantom - what is the range of their Illusions?

It says right in the illusion section. 33 PPE per meter or 10 PPE per foot of the illusion. the only limit is how much PPE they can access for it. also sinse there is no duration limit they can maintain it for as long as they can concentrate on doing so.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Glistam wrote:I have a new question about the Phantom - what is the range of their Illusions?

It says right in the illusion section. 33 PPE per meter or 10 PPE per foot of the illusion. the only limit is how much PPE they can access for it. also sinse there is no duration limit they can maintain it for as long as they can concentrate on doing so.

That's for the size of the illusion, not the range for how far out they can make it appear.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

There is no text covering that in the 1st printing of the book.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Glistam wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

That's for the size of the illusion, not the range for how far out they can make it appear.

given the nature of power it seems to default to Line of Sight range with no other information.

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Since the Phantom's own senses have a range of 2000 feet, I would assume they can only project illusions to the same distance.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “G.M.s Forum”