Combat Difficulties

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

How do you handle combat penalties?

As written.
57%
Division for Everything
No votes
Subtraction for Everything
7%
Division for Melee, Subtraction for Ranged
7%
Other
29%

Total votes: 14

Fermat
Explorer

Combat Difficulties

Unread post by Fermat »

As written, some combat actions halve or quarter your strike penalties; other action inflict a straight penalty. Naturally, division makes luck a greater factor, but subtraction seems fairly weak against high bonuses. Accordingly, I've been leaning towards division for melee and subtraction for ranged. However, I am curious as to how other GM's run it.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Combat Difficulties

Unread post by Bill »

I run it as written. Players who have read the rules have an expectation regarding the modifiers that will be applied and I must have a very good reason before I change anything. What benefit would be derived from your proposed change?
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

When I GM, most results are determined by GM fiat rather than the rolling of dice. As such, I have chosen "Other".

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Pretty much as written, but only when I remember it. So I chose "Other" because most of the time I don't remember the specific modifier and don't want to slow things down by looking for it.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”