Nets Et Al: A Question

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nets Et Al: A Question

Unread post by 13eowulf »

So I have been looking into non-stunner and non-sedative (gas, injection, etc.) 'capture' devices, and I was hoping to get some help.

So far I have found the Plasma Net Gun in South America 2, the Web Gun in the Phase World Sourcebook, Electronets in Villains Unlimited, and the Explosive Net gun in Aliens Unlimited. (And of course Magic Net, but I am looking for non-magical types).

So I was wondering:
What other types of capture weapons are out there that people know of, and where are they found?
Are there any general rules for using a net? (I ask because it seems like every item has different rules)
What forms of rules or modifications do you use for nets and similar capture items?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Nets Et Al: A Question

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I have never studied this. I may have to now.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Rifts Spylnn Dimensional Market has some examples IIRC. A Plasma net, manacles.

Rifts SA2 also has that "dazzler" in the way of the Elephant 'bot, though that may not be what you are looking for. A "Blinder" grenade of similar type can also be found in Rifts New West. Though these might be thought of as the non-sedative.

Rifts New West has the Bola. It even has its own WP, Net also has its own WP depending on the line (Palladium Fantasy 2E has it, Rifts Warlords of Russia also has it). New West also has things in the Cowboy skills that might be applicable to what you are looking for.

Rifts SB1/WB2 has the Blind Warrior Women being equipped with a net gun (magic admittedly).

Based on how the Cowboy skills work with Entangling as the method of "capture" IIRC, you could look to other weapons that are designed to entangle as "capture" weapons too and that would broaden the search out a bit like the Trident (Forked), Whip, and various Chain type weapons (Rifts Japan IINM has some examples, so you can probably find them repeated in N&SS) and the grappling hook. Obviously these are more limited in effect than a net or stunner/non-sed.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Rifts: Lone Star has Electro-Stunners, Rope Poles, the CN-1 Net Gun, Restraints, and of course the legendary Neural Mace.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Neural mace is indeed legend. Recently cracked one of my players in the head for about 50sdc and they failed the save. I was considering permanent damage, was a pretty epic slam.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Couple more come to mind:
Rifts Splynn Market has Force Fields used to trap targets, in addition to various manacles and the plasma net.

Bionics SB has cybernetic systems that if you can connect to a borg can take over (have to have the part installed though). Rifts Japan is another place to find the system.

Bionics SB (reprinted from SoT series) also have a bit about restraints and magic users (no reason those can't be used on non-mages). More helpful in keeping someone captured than the actual capture here.

Some of the traps listed as part of Trap/Construction (Rifts CWC/NW for sure) could also be used to capture. Rifts Canada has bits about avalanches (snow), which could prove useful in terms of traps/capture.

Rifts Atlantis (WB2) also has a few Bio-Wizard creatures that might prove useful if one can properly deploy them. Mind Slug and more powerful Zombitron.
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

How about a simple bola type weapon? Sure it doesn't completely incapacitate, but it can sure slow someone down.
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think there was a WP Bola in one of the Australia books.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “G.M.s Forum”