The best Phase World books?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ardashir
Wanderer

The best Phase World books?

Unread post by ardashir »

Aside from DB 2, which started it all, what are the best other dimension books for use with the Phase World setting? I admit to being mostly interested in the Wolfen and the Naruni if that helps.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: The best Phase World books?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

ardashir wrote:Aside from DB 2, which started it all, what are the best other dimension books for use with the Phase World setting? I admit to being mostly interested in the Wolfen and the Naruni if that helps.

For me I put Dimension Books 2 and 3 together at the top. Phase World doesn't have enough on its own to do much of a campaign that is not set on Center itself. The Sourcebook gives you enough ships to populate the Three Galaxies and enough examples to create your own ships plus a few more races and world building. Now this could just be nostalgia on my part as I ran Phase World for 7 years with just these two books. These are also the two books that have the most on the Wolfen and DB3 has tons of Naruni.

The number three spot goes to DB 6: The Three Galaxies. Gleba did a great job of adding new races, new systems and even some new tech. This also has some wolfen worlds and info.

Number 4 is another one by Gleba and that is DB 12: Dimensional Outbreak. This book does a great job adding to the city of Center and the Minion War in Phase World is great. It makes really good use of things from DB 5 and 6. The problem is the spacecraft. The Naruni vessels in the book are just way too powerful, the power creep is strong here. This book also has a lot on the Naruni.

My least favorite book is Fleets. It was a good attempt at information on all the major fleets but its shallow and incomplete. The ship stats are also in a different format then all the other books leading to a lot of comparison issues. For your purposes though it has some Naruni stuff.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I've run my copy of Dimension Book 5 dog-eared and lamination-rippled just using the planetary creation tables to spawn worlds.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

taalismn wrote:I've run my copy of Dimension Book 5 dog-eared and lamination-rippled just using the planetary creation tables to spawn worlds.

I was going to mention Anvil Galaxy and Thundercloud Galaxy books but he was specific about wanting Wolfen and Naruni stuff so I tried to limit my list to those. But yes that chart is great.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
ardashir
Wanderer

Unread post by ardashir »

Thanks for the responses everyone. You've been very helpful. Especially you, Warshield73; you're a scholar and a gentleman.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

ardashir wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone. You've been very helpful. Especially you, Warshield73; you're a scholar and a gentleman.

No problem, I did forget to mention Rifts Mercenaries and DB8: Naruni Wave 2. They are technically Rifts Earth books but they have a ton of Naruni stuff.

Good luck.
Furoan
Wanderer

Unread post by Furoan »

My favourite books are probably split between DB2 and DB12. 12 has more details about Center, but DB2 has a better overview of the setting as a whole, though its very basic. I do really like Anvil Galaxy, but some of the percentages of how much the galaxy any one policy owns seems nonsensible (the FWC apparently being a new upstart empire but ruling a solid percentage of the galaxies).

I didn't mind Fleets. My least favourite of the books would probably be either DB8 or Thundercloud galaxy, but that is more just that they were not really what I wanted than any mark against them in particular.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Dimension Book 9.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

You really want all of them, eventually. You will need a LOT more than just the first book, cuz theres tons of empires, races, equipment, planets, special rules and all kinds of other goodies. You cant have just one.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”