Question about Silhouette R.C.C.

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jtjr26
Wanderer

Question about Silhouette R.C.C.

Unread post by jtjr26 »

I have been searching the forums but am looking for clarification on some specifics regarding the Silhouette RCC. Doing a detailed background for an NPC henchman for a larger villain/adversary I am creating. The Silhouette NPC will be a major recurring character.

- Since their description says they have all the special abilities of a Ley Line Walker can they acquire additional spells like a LLW or can they only gain spells as per a mystic?
- Can they use the shadow spells listed in DB 15? It would seem natural for them.
- For that matter are they limited to just the regular spell list or can I open it up to other fields of magic like space, elemental, ocean, or others?
- I am fairly certain they can but is there anything preventing a Silhouette from becoming an Invincible Guardsman? Assuming they are fanatically loyal to the TGE, which they will be.

I know it's my story and I can do what I want but I am trying to keep this as close to the rules as possible.

I found answers to some of these questions on the forums but I found a lot of contradictory answers as well.

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Question about Silhouette R.C.C.

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The "Learning New Spells" subheading is under the Line Walker Abilities/Ley Line Walker O.C.C. Abilities section in RMB and RUE and applies. P.P.E. from the O.C.C. wouldn't stack with that under the Silhouette entry.

Many types of magic are more restricted by setting constraints than outright mechanics. Shadow Magic is described as largely forgotten in both the Library of Bletherad and Atlanteans books, save the few spells which are recognized as more commonly known invocations. If there's a teacher available LLW-style casters could learn Shadow Magic, albeit not being able to use it with the bonuses a Shadow Mage has.

Similarly, Ocean Magic is differentiated from Invocations by emphasis rather than fundamentals. Finding a teacher for Ocean Magic would be easier than for Shadow, and for a Silhouette in Phase World I'd guess Space Magic to be easier still.

Elemental Magic, however, wouldn't normally be able to be learned by the Silhouette. Granted magic users such as Warlocks, Priests, and Witches are fundamentally different than both studied and mystical casters, even when they share a number of spell effects. With classes like the Obsidian Spell Thief in Phase World even that isn't a hard and fast rule.

There's nothing that I see preventing a Silhouette Invincible Guardsman. If one wanted to play up the Shadow angle coming and going I could see modifying the relevant powers from HU:

Minor Powers:
Energy Expulsion: Shadow Bolt (PU3)
Impervious to Shadows & Darkness (HU1)
Supervision:Nightvision (HU2)
Shadow Cloak (PU3)
Shadow Meld (PU1)
Shadow Molding (PU3)
Shadow Shaping (PU1)
Shadow Stepping (PU1)
Shadow Trap (PU3)

Major Powers:
APS:Shadow (PU1)
Darkness Control (HU2)
Shadow Manipulation (PU3)

Note the Silhouette has an inherent Shadow Meld effect, and shadow spells and powers have considerable overlap. The Impervious effect is potentially the cheesiest stand out choice: a thematic high-level ambition for such a character would be to learn and cast Shadow Self, followed by slaying and thus becoming a Shadow Lord. What with the presumably small percentage of Silhouette Invincible Guardsmen and the general distrust of the species, I imagine such a character would most likely be seen as a traitor to the Kreeghor.
jtjr26
Wanderer

Re: Question about Silhouette R.C.C.

Unread post by jtjr26 »

Curbludgeon wrote:The "Learning New Spells" subheading is under the Line Walker Abilities/Ley Line Walker O.C.C. Abilities section in RMB and RUE and applies. P.P.E. from the O.C.C. wouldn't stack with that under the Silhouette entry.

Many types of magic are more restricted by setting constraints than outright mechanics. Shadow Magic is described as largely forgotten in both the Library of Bletherad and Atlanteans books, save the few spells which are recognized as more commonly known invocations. If there's a teacher available LLW-style casters could learn Shadow Magic, albeit not being able to use it with the bonuses a Shadow Mage has.

Similarly, Ocean Magic is differentiated from Invocations by emphasis rather than fundamentals. Finding a teacher for Ocean Magic would be easier than for Shadow, and for a Silhouette in Phase World I'd guess Space Magic to be easier still.

Elemental Magic, however, wouldn't normally be able to be learned by the Silhouette. Granted magic users such as Warlocks, Priests, and Witches are fundamentally different than both studied and mystical casters, even when they share a number of spell effects. With classes like the Obsidian Spell Thief in Phase World even that isn't a hard and fast rule.

There's nothing that I see preventing a Silhouette Invincible Guardsman. If one wanted to play up the Shadow angle coming and going I could see modifying the relevant powers from HU:

Minor Powers:
Energy Expulsion: Shadow Bolt (PU3)
Impervious to Shadows & Darkness (HU1)
Supervision:Nightvision (HU2)
Shadow Cloak (PU3)
Shadow Meld (PU1)
Shadow Molding (PU3)
Shadow Shaping (PU1)
Shadow Stepping (PU1)
Shadow Trap (PU3)

Major Powers:
APS:Shadow (PU1)
Darkness Control (HU2)
Shadow Manipulation (PU3)

Note the Silhouette has an inherent Shadow Meld effect, and shadow spells and powers have considerable overlap. The Impervious effect is potentially the cheesiest stand out choice: a thematic high-level ambition for such a character would be to learn and cast Shadow Self, followed by slaying and thus becoming a Shadow Lord. What with the presumably small percentage of Silhouette Invincible Guardsmen and the general distrust of the species, I imagine such a character would most likely be seen as a traitor to the Kreeghor.

Hey, thanks for the info. When I read the Silhouette description stating that they had the abilities of an LLW I completely forgot that it included how they gain new spells. As for learning different types of magic, I have some story ideas about that already.

I also agree that Silhouette undergoing the procedure to become an IG would probably want more abilities related to shadow manipulation. The ones you listed are great and there are so many homebrew options out there as well. But who knows it could be interesting to have a crazy power combination completely unrelated to shadows and have a more broader range of powers.

Anyway thanks for your response.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”