Scorched Lands

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Scorched Lands

Unread post by Warshield73 »

So in DB 2: Phase World the Scorched Lands are one of the dimensions described in the gate lands of Center.

DB 2: Phase World, Pg. 16 wrote:The Scorched Lands: This dimension is covered by black
rocks and sand under an angry red sky. Travelers arrive through gates that open through dolmens very similar to the ones found in Stonehenge. Four very active gates lead to this dimension. The scorched lands are connected to Dyval, the demonic plane; Hades, the Greek death-realm, and the elemental planes of fire and earth. A few cities are scattered among the black mountains. Their inhabitants are dedicated mostly to mining and metal working; the black lands have incredibly rich metal deposits. Despite frequent raids by demons and elementals, the scarcity of food and water, and other dangers, these cities have grown and prospered, largely because very valuable minerals, including psylite, uranium, and some rare and exotic metals and gems are found there. A great deal of trade is conducted between these cities and Phase World. One of the cities is run and controlled by Naruni Enterprises - the city became indebted to the corporation and when they couldn't meet their payments their mines were seized and they now work as slave labor. A stark reminder of the dangers of doing business with the Naruni.

So a few questions to throw out there:
1. Is there anything else out there about scorched lands, even in a Rifter?
2. Do we know where in Hades and Dyval this place would connect?
3. The description is almost Nightlands like, any connection there?
4. It is described as having vauable minerals, do you think it would have things like white iron and black iron from palladium?
5. The way the sky is described it doesn't sound like there is a day night cycle and sun so could vampires operate here?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
SolCannibal
Champion

Re: Scorched Lands

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Warshield73 wrote:So in DB 2: Phase World the Scorched Lands are one of the dimensions described in the gate lands of Center.

DB 2: Phase World, Pg. 16 wrote:The Scorched Lands: This dimension is covered by black
rocks and sand under an angry red sky. Travelers arrive through gates that open through dolmens very similar to the ones found in Stonehenge. Four very active gates lead to this dimension. The scorched lands are connected to Dyval, the demonic plane; Hades, the Greek death-realm, and the elemental planes of fire and earth. A few cities are scattered among the black mountains. Their inhabitants are dedicated mostly to mining and metal working; the black lands have incredibly rich metal deposits. Despite frequent raids by demons and elementals, the scarcity of food and water, and other dangers, these cities have grown and prospered, largely because very valuable minerals, including psylite, uranium, and some rare and exotic metals and gems are found there. A great deal of trade is conducted between these cities and Phase World. One of the cities is run and controlled by Naruni Enterprises - the city became indebted to the corporation and when they couldn't meet their payments their mines were seized and they now work as slave labor. A stark reminder of the dangers of doing business with the Naruni.

So a few questions to throw out there:
1. Is there anything else out there about scorched lands, even in a Rifter?
2. Do we know where in Hades and Dyval this place would connect?
3. The description is almost Nightlands like, any connection there?
4. It is described as having vauable minerals, do you think it would have things like white iron and black iron from palladium?
5. The way the sky is described it doesn't sound like there is a day night cycle and sun so could vampires operate here?

1 - No idea.

2 - Going by text the Hades they mean seems to be not DB10, but the greek underworld. So something like a fun mixture of harpies, gorgons, devilkins & gallu bulls (for that satyrs & minotaurs feel) with undead and some stuff cited in the greek chapter from CB2, i guess.
(Actually, considering it's in DB2, it would be from back in early books, when things Hades-related where kind of confused, so the portals could be for either or even both, now that i really thought about it, so kind of a 2-for-1 deal?)

3 - Honestly i think it's more of a coincidence, otherwise one might expect to come across Nightlands natives, no? Wait, no Nightbane back when DB2 came out, obviously. But then no other peculiar/dangerous locals are cited, so still guessing probably not.

4 - Considering it has Psylite that is quite exotic on itself, i would say pretty probable.

5 - Definitely possible, but then the miners are the only possible targets, what make it somewhat easy to detect and watch out against an infestation, i guess.

As an aside, now i'm asking myself what would deevils or demons raid the miners for...
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Thanks for your input.

SolCannibal wrote:2 - Going by text the Hades they mean seems to be not DB10, but the greek underworld. So something like a fun mixture of harpies, gorgons, devilkins & gallu bulls (for that satyrs & minotaurs feel) with undead and some stuff cited in the greek chapter from CB2, i guess.
(Actually, considering it's in DB2, it would be from back in early books, when things Hades-related where kind of confused, so the portals could be for either or even both, now that i really thought about it, so kind of a 2-for-1 deal?)

See I was just going to chalk this up to things changing in the 25 years since Carella wrote the description. Having Hades and Dyval as describe in SB 10 and 11 just makes a certain amount of sense. You could even tie it to the minion war with the cities connected to center falling under siege just before the attack.

Still unclear what it means to be linked to these places but I am thinking I will find a few places to camps of Deevils and Demons and areas were it is common to be attacked by them.

SolCannibal wrote:3 - Honestly i think it's more of a coincidence, otherwise one might expect to come across Nightlands natives, no? Wait, no Nightbane back when DB2 came out, obviously. But then no other peculiar/dangerous locals are cited, so still guessing probably not.

Truthfully I wouldn't even have thought about it except they were both written by Carella but I tend to agree they aren't related.

SolCannibal wrote:4 - Considering it has Psylite that is quite exotic on itself, i would say pretty probable.

Agreed. I really think that for the Scorched Lands to be as important as they appear to be that they should offer more than the standard metals you could find on earth or the like.

SolCannibal wrote:5 - Definitely possible, but then the miners are the only possible targets, what make it somewhat easy to detect and watch out against an infestation, i guess.

I actually figured this would make it easy for vamps. All those empty mines for them to hide in and all those disposable workers combined with a no sun and little water and it sounds like paradise for a vampire.

SolCannibal wrote:As an aside, now i'm asking myself what would deevils or demons raid the miners for...

Treasure, slaves, food, fun. The usual.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=4084

Fan fiction about the Scorched Lands and an unfinished d-book.
Dan Frederick
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Fell wrote:https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=4084

Fan fiction about the Scorched Lands and an unfinished d-book.

Thanks, I might check it out.
SolCannibal
Champion

Warshield73 wrote:Thanks for your input.

SolCannibal wrote:2 - Going by text the Hades they mean seems to be not DB10, but the greek underworld. So something like a fun mixture of harpies, gorgons, devilkins & gallu bulls (for that satyrs & minotaurs feel) with undead and some stuff cited in the greek chapter from CB2, i guess.

See I was just going to chalk this up to things changing in the 25 years since Carella wrote the description. Having Hades and Dyval as describe in SB 10 and 11 just makes a certain amount of sense. You could even tie it to the minion war with the cities connected to center falling under siege just before the attack.

Still unclear what it means to be linked to these places but I am thinking I will find a few places to camps of Deevils and Demons and areas were it is common to be attacked by them.

Fair point with doing that, specially if one has plans related to the Minion War & Dimensional Outbreak. That said, you could have Dyval and both versions of Hades connecting to the dimension, for extra ups & downs and a 3rd party that might intervene in favor or against either side depending on circunstances (or maybe PCs finding out and making all sort of deals).

Warshield73 wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:3 - Honestly i think it's more of a coincidence, otherwise one might expect to come across Nightlands natives, no? Wait, no Nightbane back when DB2 came out, obviously. But then no other peculiar/dangerous locals are cited, so still guessing probably not.

Truthfully I wouldn't even have thought about it except they were both written by Carella but I tend to agree they aren't related.

Well, would you want as a GM for it to be related? Could some crossover with Nightbane be of interest to your 3Gs games?
Alternatively, could it not have a connection to the homeworld of the Sillhouette instead? Does any book beside Phaseworld gives us info on their world or the dozen planets their civilization had colonized before their downfall to Kreeghor conquest?

Warshield73 wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:4 - Considering it has Psylite that is quite exotic on itself, i would say pretty probable.

Agreed. I really think that for the Scorched Lands to be as important as they appear to be that they should offer more than the standard metals you could find on earth or the like.

Well, standard metals in large quantities in the right places do have an appeal its own (there have been some funny stories about Elon Musk, lithium reserves and coups in Bolivia of late online for example) might be said....but there's nothing to impede the presence of weird minerals, specially considering it seems to be a "non-standard" world in the first place. Are there any exotic materials cited on either Hades or Dyval books? Also, what's special about white & black irons from Palladium?

Warshield73 wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:5 - Definitely possible, but then the miners are the only possible targets, what make it somewhat easy to detect and watch out against an infestation, i guess.

I actually figured this would make it easy for vamps. All those empty mines for them to hide in and all those disposable workers combined with a no sun and little water and it sounds like paradise for a vampire.

True. I was thinking of things more like some company town or Zaibatsu-owned territory - what might very much be the situation in Naruni-owned mining/ore-processing centers, but other places might follow different schemes with miners as temporary people that stay or go according to greed, luck, desperation or other factors, resulting in a place with high turnover, lots of forgettable places coming, going and a pretty good hunting ground for vampires, dar'ota (inccubi/succubi) and dybbuk, as long as they hide the bodies and keep their own population(s) in check.
Of course multiple predators disputing such potentially rich food reserves could lead to all kinds of trouble too.

Incidentally, it might also be a really sweet place for Sillhouettes to hunker down on their own. Limited light, lots of shadow & darkness, vast expanses to occupy & riches to mine, portals for easy access and trade with Phaseworld or maybe exploration on the aforementioned hell-realms and elemental planes (maybe the plane of shadow included?). An interesting place for the TGE citizens, relatives ensonced in the UWW academic/arcane circles or all manner of exiles & their descendants to meet, greet, gossip, talk shop & maybe conspire away from prying eyes....

Warshield73 wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:As an aside, now i'm asking myself what would deevils or demons raid the miners for...

Treasure, slaves, food, fun. The usual.

True, just being right next to a portal to home is incentive aplenty. As long as they don't overdo things and scare the rubes out it can be rich pickings for any of them.
SolCannibal
Champion

But well Warshield73, do you have any kind of plans for the Scorched Lands? Definitely guessing so from your making the thread itself.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”