Multiverse (Megaverse)

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Multiverse (Megaverse)

Unread post by Rogerd »

What kind of multiverse do you use for your games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqpNudIss4

https://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/PDF/ ... _sciam.pdf

Do you use any of these in your games?
Sambot
Adventurer

Re: Multiverse (Megaverse)

Unread post by Sambot »

I can't say I even understand any of that. Depending on the game though I have used things from different universes.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Sambot wrote:I can't say I even understand any of that. Depending on the game though I have used things from different universes.

I am quite happy to help, and try to explain if that would help?
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Rogerd wrote:
Sambot wrote:I can't say I even understand any of that. Depending on the game though I have used things from different universes.

That would help. Thanks :)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Dimension Book 7: Megaverse Builder has a pretty simple system for alternate dimensions and how the Megaverse works, I just use it. It's great because it covers some of the mechanics of how the dimensions work.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Sambot wrote:
Rogerd wrote:

That would help. Thanks :)

Okay so easy bit first.

Level 1 Multiverse: Each universe contains a 'you', most will look the same but will take different choices to what you have done, some divergence will be slight, to huge ones. The laws of physics remains the same in them all - just the options / choices we take in our lives. But because there are only so many permutations that can be taken, some other versions will lead the exact same life.

Level 2 Multiverse: Well this is a collection of Type 1's, such that some have different time-space dimensionality, and possible alternate physical starting conditions, but the laws remain the same.

Level 3 Multiverse: This is the controversial many-worlds theorem. Each choice, and option, you take creates a parallel universe. This sort of came about due to really small particles that when given a choice directions - open slits, left or right, did not just go through one; but both! To some extent this also happens in a Type 1 only far away in 3-D space, except here in another quantum realm.

Level 4 Multiverse: This is where things get really nuts! Where the laws of physics, space-time, in anything you care to mention can change. Square universes, four dimensional torus universes, magic existing!

A good media example of Type 1 & 2 is the Xeelee saga. It is set in a Type 2 Multiverse. But their Type 1 their enemy, and enemy of all life, the Photino Birds existed in every version, so they created the Ring (millions of light years across) to enter another Type 1 where they were absent.

Another series by Baxter, the Time Ships, follows on from HG Wells Time Machine. In this, a polity is stuck in their universe, each of which is a bubble so they cannot leave - limited by light speed. So they devise a way to leave and enter another Type 1, where light speed limit does not exist, and it is possible to travel to other universe if you have enough velocity.

For instance Star Trek likely uses a Type 3, which we see in the episode Parallel, where Worf meets alternate selves.

If you want a really good book on this kind of thing - Gurps Infinite Worlds is one of the best out there, it also covers time travel, and what the different methods of travel exist between times and universe exist.

I hope this helps you in some way?
Any questions please feel free to ask.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Rogerd wrote:
Okay so easy bit first.

Level 1 Multiverse: Each universe contains a 'you', most will look the same but will take different choices to what you have done, some divergence will be slight, to huge ones. The laws of physics remains the same in them all - just the options / choices we take in our lives. But because there are only so many permutations that can be taken, some other versions will lead the exact same life.

Level 2 Multiverse: Well this is a collection of Type 1's, such that some have different time-space dimensionality, and possible alternate physical starting conditions, but the laws remain the same.

Level 3 Multiverse: This is the controversial many-worlds theorem. Each choice, and option, you take creates a parallel universe. This sort of came about due to really small particles that when given a choice directions - open slits, left or right, did not just go through one; but both! To some extent this also happens in a Type 1 only far away in 3-D space, except here in another quantum realm.

Level 4 Multiverse: This is where things get really nuts! Where the laws of physics, space-time, in anything you care to mention can change. Square universes, four dimensional torus universes, magic existing!

A good media example of Type 1 & 2 is the Xeelee saga. It is set in a Type 2 Multiverse. But their Type 1 their enemy, and enemy of all life, the Photino Birds existed in every version, so they created the Ring (millions of light years across) to enter another Type 1 where they were absent.

Another series by Baxter, the Time Ships, follows on from HG Wells Time Machine. In this, a polity is stuck in their universe, each of which is a bubble so they cannot leave - limited by light speed. So they devise a way to leave and enter another Type 1, where light speed limit does not exist, and it is possible to travel to other universe if you have enough velocity.

For instance Star Trek likely uses a Type 3, which we see in the episode Parallel, where Worf meets alternate selves.

If you want a really good book on this kind of thing - Gurps Infinite Worlds is one of the best out there, it also covers time travel, and what the different methods of travel exist between times and universe exist.

I hope this helps you in some way?
Any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks. :)I've heard of 1 and 4. Maybe the others but I'm not quite sure what the difference is between 1,2 and 3 though.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Warshield73 wrote:Dimension Book 7: Megaverse Builder has a pretty simple system for alternate dimensions and how the Megaverse works, I just use it. It's great because it covers some of the mechanics of how the dimensions work.

Thanks. I'll have to take another look at it. I remember the Secrets of the Atlantean Book had them living in different dimensions. Not quite sure how but they did.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”