Space Leylines

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Space Leylines

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Is there any place in the Dimension Books or Rifters that talk about the size and effects of Space Leylines?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Space Leylines

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Other than that they exist, I don't think so.
(If there is text about SLL they should be in a 3G book.)

That is why I wrote up some general effects into the HU forum.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=159216
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Other than that they exist, I don't think so.

I like your idea that stars give off PPE, very similar to Godsend Agenda, such that there were also null zones too.
Furoan
Wanderer

Unread post by Furoan »

So, there's not much in the 3 Galaxies books actually about Space Laylines but there is a bit that can be inferred.

1. That Star Elves didn't actually know about them until they combined their knowledge and tech wit they Warlocks.
2. Rift Drives used by the Star elves are much more efficient following these Laylines. This has turned the Laylines into spacelanes.

From this, we can deduce that the effect of Space Laylines on a planetary system is probably pretty low. The Star Elves are presumed to be a hidden faction/fallen version of one of the Eldar Races that existed 50,000 years ago before the Dominators went on their genocidal campaign, and they have a LOT of knowledge of magic, however for whatever reason they never left the atmosphere.

Presumedly, like planetary lay lines, they can be used to provide more PPE, and that there are nexus points flowing around where these lay lines flow-through systems with much higher than normal levels of PPE, or he inverse, entire clusters of the UWW's territory that haven't been exploited because it requires significantly more PPE to reach them than it does to anywhere else.

The interesting thing to consider with this though is the difference between the UWW's space-lanes and everybody else's. The CCW and the TGE are pretty technological in their shipbuilding, as reversed with the UWW. Now many UWW ships have Contra Gravity or Phase drives, but the difference and the way that ships get from planet to planet for trade etc is probably weirdly different. Like a Trade Route between some kind of corp planet diverging, or the UWW skipping parts of the trade route because its more efficient to go to one system rather than another due to these laylines.

And then there's the reverse, where CCW ships keep skipping part of the UWW trade spine because to them its completely out of their way, rather than the 'obvious' way to get from planet A to planet B.

Now, speaking of the Star Elves above, we have to talk about some of their ancient enemies, the Splugoth. Now my thought would be the Splugoth are squatting on some of the Space Layline nexus's or something, simply because it gives them disproportionate reach in both the there galaxies and dozen other dimensions or realities. Now their minion's space tech is tech in nature, the Splugoth if anything would probably be the ones to exploit intergalactic layline nexus's to go slave raiding. This opens up the option of certain systems becoming magical strategic objectives. If the new Splugoth in town conquers the Stragga IV system, he will be able to open portals on a dozen worlds in the surrounding star clusters, and many of them don't have the military will to fight back. On the other hand, if the UWW backed MegaMagic Incorporated can build that gigantic focusing array on the planet that is orbiting Zetto 3, they will have the PPE they need to create the magical focusing arrays that are used in the Brightwave Battlecruisers's weapon mounts.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rogerd wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Other than that they exist, I don't think so.

I like your idea that stars give off PPE, very similar to Godsend Agenda, such that there were also null zones too.

I don't remember saying that.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”