Tamashiwara

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Natalya

Tamashiwara

Unread post by Natalya »

A friend and I were talking tonight, and we both remember seeing a passage somewhere, in some book, about being able to use Tamashiwara with a melee weapon. I remember seeing something about a chance of the weapon breaking. But neither one of us remember the book that it was in, and a fairly quick research session didn't track it down.

Can someone please let me know the book(s) and page number that this is in? Or are my friend and I suffering from some type of group hallucination? Thanks.

Unread post by Guest »

It probably doesn't exist. My first thought would be to check conversion notes for the possibility that such a reference would pop up under one of the various conversions for N&S material. However, a check showed no such passage.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Tamashiwara

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Natalya wrote:A friend and I were talking tonight, and we both remember seeing a passage somewhere, in some book, about being able to use Tamashiwara with a melee weapon. I remember seeing something about a chance of the weapon breaking. But neither one of us remember the book that it was in, and a fairly quick research session didn't track it down.

Can someone please let me know the book(s) and page number that this is in? Or are my friend and I suffering from some type of group hallucination? Thanks.

if you have a Weapon Kata with a weapon, you can use all of your martial art techniques with that weapon.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread post by Guest »

Or just call it Tameshigiri and make it available to M.A.s with Weapon Katas.

The Test of Cutting.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originall posted by Edge.
Or just call it Tameshigiri and make it available to M.A.s with Weapon Katas. The Test of Cutting.
Or you could just use this.

Tameshigeri (The Test of Cutting): This is a version of Tamashiwara that is done with a sword. This must be the first and only attack of the melee round and the character must use a large bladed cutting instrument (Machete, Katana, Long Handle Chinese Broadsword, or any weapon with a blade that is at least 2 feet long.). A Strike roll of a 14 or better will cut an object, or multiple objects, in half.
Roll......# of Objects
14-16..........1
17-19..........2
20-22..........3
23-25..........4
26-28..........5
29-31..........6
32-34..........7
35-37..........8
38-40..........9

If the roll is better than 4 but less than 14, the blade takes damage.
Roll.....Damage to Blade
5-7...............1D8
8-10.............1D6
11-13...........1D4
Note: The characters damage bonus is added to this damage.

As with Tamashiwara a succesful roll results in critical damage to living beings. A Natural 20 will result in a double critical attack. The character must have at least one (1) point of chi to use this ability.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Unread post by Guest »

Your Tameshigiri is indeed the version that I keep in mind.

I remember requesting that many moons ago.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I would check the conversion books (both the original and the revised) to see what they say for how it interacts with MDC.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

In the Conversion Book, Tamashiwara was given a Power Punch that did 1D4 X10 MD.
So, you've gone from being able to ignore the SDC of a Vault Door, to being able to inflict less than half the MDC of a heavy Dead Boy suit.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Sentinel wrote:In the Conversion Book, Tamashiwara was given a Power Punch that did 1D4 X10 MD.
So, you've gone from being able to ignore the SDC of a Vault Door, to being able to inflict less than half the MDC of a heavy Dead Boy suit.

Irony time: According to N&SS, Revised Edition, Page 132, Tamishiwara's MDC damage will not break a bank vault door, as they have 5000 SDC.

It will, however, break TWO jet airliners (2000 SDC)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Sentinel
Palladin

MrNexx wrote:
Sentinel wrote:In the Conversion Book, Tamashiwara was given a Power Punch that did 1D4 X10 MD.

Irony time: According to N&SS, Revised Edition, Page 132, Tamishiwara's MDC damage will not break a bank vault door, as they have 5000 SDC.

Maybe Alanis Morrisette can sing about this.

Sentinel
Palladin

Alejandro wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

How is it ironic? A vault door is much more difficult to breach or break than an aluminum aircraft. Just to play devil's advocate

It's ironic because once Tamashiwara is given MD ability, it can now no longer do something it was perfectly capable of when it was all SDC. (1D4 MD only equals up to 400 SDC: not enough to punch through the vault door).

Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Alejandro wrote:This is Palladium. Weird is a way of life.

Sigged. :P
Sentinel
Palladin

Korentin_Black wrote:Which you have to admit is kind of wierd... mind you, that's right up there with walking through a Rift in a Chipwell battlesuit and being able to kick seven bells of hell out of a puny Glitterboy who now only has a tiny, teeny fraction of your SDC...

If you were wearing a Chipwell suit, and had a Glitter Boy on your @$$ and you even survived to make it to the Rift, you deserve to be able to kick the krap out of him.

Sentinel
Palladin

goodlun wrote:
Korentin_Black wrote:Which you have to admit is kind of wierd... mind you, that's right up there with walking through a Rift in a Chipwell battlesuit and being able to kick seven bells of hell out of a puny Glitterboy who now only has a tiny, teeny fraction of your SDC...

Yes but the question is how many of you as GM's would honestly allow this to happen? Really....

Heck, I never let non-super-heroes punch through vault doors to begin with. I just like to point out the game mechanic.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

MrNexx wrote:

actually, all it says it it will punch a hole in them, not break them.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sentinel
Palladin

Korentin_Black wrote:
goodlun wrote:

Yes but the question is how many of you as GM's would honestly allow this to happen? Really....

It's just one of those things clearly set out in black and white in the rules - GM's are of course free to re-work it to make more sense and perhaps explain why a Chipwell suits arse can have more SDC than a full-sized modern MBT...

Because it's futuristic SDC material, super-charged with Ley Line Energy.

Sentinel
Palladin

goodlun wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
Korentin_Black wrote:
goodlun wrote:

It's just one of those things clearly set out in black and white in the rules - GM's are of course free to re-work it to make more sense and perhaps explain why a Chipwell suits arse can have more SDC than a full-sized modern MBT...

So what happens if the SDF3 happens to unfold into say the Ninjas & Superspies universe?

Kuseru Satsujin will die from his head exploding.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

goodlun wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
Korentin_Black wrote:
goodlun wrote:

So what happens if the SDF3 happens to unfold into say the Ninjas & Superspies universe?

It can't happen since Palladium (currently) no longer has the license for Robotech. At least not officially.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Glistam wrote:
goodlun wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
Korentin_Black wrote:
goodlun wrote:

It can't happen since Palladium (currently) no longer has the license for Robotech. At least not officially.

Kevin Siembeida Said in that link that palladium is seriously considering reaquiring the Robotech licence and releasing new books, including the possibility of books set in the upcoming "Shadow Cronicles" series.

Sentinel
Palladin

Cool.
Then we can get to work splitting the SDF-3 with our Tamashiwara Power Punches.

Sentinel
Palladin

If we had played a regular Robotech game, we would have made use of Ninjas and Superspies extensively.
But, we ended up going with N&SS and BtS, and later HU & N&SS.
The Robotech books were handy to have for our early Rifts games though.

Unread post by Guest »

Sentinel wrote:
goodlun wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
Korentin_Black wrote:
goodlun wrote:

Not really, I'd just kill the crew, charge the SDF3 with Chi, and take it on a mind walk... The Yama Kings need to be reminded why they should pay off their loans

Unread post by Guest »

Mitternacht wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
goodlun wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
Korentin_Black wrote:
goodlun wrote:

Not really, I'd just kill the crew, charge the SDF3 with Chi, and take it on a mind walk... The Yama Kings need to be reminded why they should pay off their loans

That would be a REALLY powerful version of Gui Long. or is there another way to charge a "weapon" with Chi?
See "Fill Object With Chi" in the Martial Art Powers section of Mystic China.

Unread post by Guest »

Someone's gotta make sure the Yama Kings pay their rent.
Library Ogre

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:Someone's gotta make sure the Yama Kings pay their rent.

And nothing says "Impending Eviction" like a defolding battlecruiser?

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles

Unread post by Guest »

MrNexx wrote:

Until I institute mandatory karaoke singing in the Yama Hells at least.
Library Ogre

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

They're already in HELL... how bad do you want to make it for them?

All Palladium Articles

Unread post by Guest »

MrNexx wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

:demon:
Library Ogre

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

You're no ninja... you're too much of a sadist.

All Palladium Articles

Unread post by Guest »

MrNexx wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

You're no ninja... you're too much of a sadist.
When choosing between two evils, I like to choose the one I haven't done before.
Library Ogre

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
MrNexx wrote:You're no ninja... you're too much of a sadist.
When choosing between two evils, I like to choose the one I haven't done before.

I said "sadist" not "Mae West".

Though now we know that under your hood you prefer to feel... pretty.

All Palladium Articles

Unread post by Guest »

MrNexx wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

Why do you think Becky is known as the "Ultra Love Ninja"? :p
Library Ogre

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:

Why do you think Becky is known as the "Ultra Love Ninja"? :p

Apparently, it has something to do with an adaptability to an unpredictable sparring partner. ;-)

All Palladium Articles
cms6317
D-Bee

Re: Tamashiwara

Unread post by cms6317 »

Going back to the top of the post about Tamashiwara, and the response with Tameshigeri (I like the name), my GM found this one.

Setsudan or Severing Chi:
Much like Tamashiwara, but requires the use of a weapon with a sharp edge. Instead of breaking the target, it is cut cleanly apart. Even items that would normally be impossible to cut without shattering, like glass bottles and the like, are neatly severed. Mind and Spirit must be as one, so no emotional disturbance can be troubling the warrior. Cannot be used near a creature with a Horror Factor over 15, they are just too distracting. Against a living opponent, Setsudan or Severing does double normal damage direct to hit points. Against intangible creatures like supernatural or magical or alien energy entities, the weapon does full damage. Creatures normally unaffected by normal man-made weapons take half damage.

Requirements: Weapon Kata.

(Considered a Martial Art Technique, and may be used with any form.)

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”