Hand to Hand-Kung Fu

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Hand to Hand-Kung Fu

Unread post by Yendor »

I did my best to adapt this from Rifts: Manhunter in the style of Rifts-Japan and figured this would be the best forum to discuss a martial art.
Looking for input/revisions/advice/etc.

Hand to Hand: Kung Fu
Techniques known at First Level: Backflip/leap, Knife Hand, Kick, Karate Kick, Roundhouse Kick, Snap Kick, Palm Strike, Knee & Elbow Strikes, Maintain Balance, Breakfall, Disarm.
Bonuses: +2 to P.S., P.P., P.E. and Speed, +10 to S.D.C.
Skill Cost: Three, Four if Secondary (in other words, if taken as a Physical Program it counts as three skills).
Level
1 Two attacks per melee to start (4 total), +3 to pull/Roll with
Punch/Fall/Impact, +2 to Strike, Critical on Natural 19 or 20, Critical
from Behind.
2 +1 to backflip/leap (+3' to distance), +1 to Parry & Dodge, Backward
Sweep, Tripping/Leg Hooks.
3 Critical on Natural 18-20, Body Flip/Throw (1D6 S.D.C.)
4 +1 Attack Per Melee, +1 to Initiative, Parry & Dodge.
5 +1 to Pull/Roll with Punch, +1 to Damage & Initiative, Power Punch
& Kick.
6 +1 to Strike, Knockout/Stun on Natural 18-20.
7 Death Blow on 19 or 20.
8 +1 Attack Per Melee, +1 to Backflip/leap (+3' to distance).
9 +1 to Pull/Roll with Punch.
10 +1 Attack Per Melee.
11 +4 to Damage.
12 Leap Kick
13 +1 to Backflip/leap (+3' to distance).
14 Death Blow!, +1 to Pull/Roll with Punch.
15 +1 Attack Per Melee.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

This is an adaptation/conversion of one of the styles available to the Martial Dragon O.C.C., right? Hhmmnn.

Here's a little secret about those styles. They're watered down versions of styles found in N&S. Off the top of my head the styles are Shaolin kung fu, Taido, Thai Boxing, and one other that I can't remember.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yendor »

Mantisking wrote:This is an adaptation/conversion of one of the styles available to the Martial Dragon O.C.C., right? Hhmmnn.

Here's a little secret about those styles. They're watered down versions of styles found in N&S. Off the top of my head the styles are Shaolin kung fu, Taido, Thai Boxing, and one other that I can't remember.

I figured that, but would like some input on whether or not what I have adapted is balanced, too powerful, too weak, etc.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Yendor.
I figured that, but would like some input on whether or not what I have adapted is balanced, too powerful, too weak, etc.
What are you adapting it for?
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yendor »

A mix of settings. Mainly looking to use it in HU2, since the Rifts-Japan HtH styles can plop rather nicely into HU2 w/o little change or tweaking. After seeing so many characters (and creating so many) with HtH-Basic, Expert, MA, and not wanting to go full blown N&SS styles, the "quickie" forms are a nice balance.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

macksting wrote:I've been thinking about this, mainly as a TMNT player. Ever notice, for instance, that the Body Building skill is similar to a few of the Body Hardening Exercises?
So why don't we just make all the martial arts abilities into skills the character must take time to develop?
The purpose of this would be to let characters progress to that Black Belt level we see in N&SS, without starting that way as first level characters. This very well may mean that the PC will have to learn a single skill whose sole purpose is to include a series of kicks; bear in mind, Gymnastics gives a decent 2d4 kick to anybody, and Wrestling introduces its own new move. I think there's precedent. For that matter, any and all martial arts abilities can be traded for non-athletic skill programs, and in the world martial arts listing, also could be traded for individual physical skills. Usually inferior, but between the lot of it, I think I see an equivalency of time investment.

I think it probable, on that notes, that Hand-to-Hand: Ninjitsu's impressive list of weapon katas could be considered a single skill program. Just for the sanity of the player. Likewise, many moves are very similar, perhaps including a few combination moves; a certain period of training could be spent with one's master learning a skill selection that will incorporate the Knife Hand, Power Punch, what-have-you, or maybe a large selection of kicks. Some of these might even offer a little of the inherent stat bonuses offered by the martial art itself. Of course, the real kicker is that the process is levelled. Just as Medical Doctor must be attained after the gathering of Analytical Chemistry, Advanced Math, and goodness knows how many other skills, each of these skill selections will have prerequisites further down the line.

If ya still don't believe me, I'd like to point out that a few of the skills in that same World Martial Arts rifter article will add to your chi. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me to create a program or skill selection which allows you to develop Soft Chi or Dragon Chi.

Looking for discussion, advice, or criticism, but be wary that unless you've got a doozy of an argument against (yes, I'm open to doozies), I'll likely have an answer.

how about. . . way to complicated for no real gain?

this is the same reason I don't like GURPS and mutant animal tables in palladium
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

macksting wrote:...
Good criticism. Hadn't ever thought about that.
Huh. I guess I just don't like there being no levels in between H-H: X and the martial arts listings.

Have you other ideas which could arrive at the same effect without being so overboard? If not, I fear I may have to continue developing along these lines just for lack of options.

hmmmm. . .

rather than skills package, why don't you make it so that with each level they gain they gain another part of the training package.

say, for something basic like shaolin kung fu. they'd have the standard 3 common to all the basic hand to hands, +the advanced hand attacks for shaolin.

at level 2, gain a martial arts technique availbel to the school

at level 3, gain all fott attacks. . . until you've gained the enite martial art

not skills but rather staged progression
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”