To Achive Enlightenment. . .

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

To Achive Enlightenment. . .

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Do you allow character to achive, or at least try to achive, Enlightened immortality? if so, what steps would you make them take?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

without someone to "guide" them... really wouldn't have it happen lest they took the enlighenment martial art...

as achieving enlightenment is kinda a big stem in character development otherwise...
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

sinestus wrote:without someone to "guide" them... really wouldn't have it happen lest they took the enlighenment martial art...

as achieving enlightenment is kinda a big stem in character development otherwise...

Enlightenment martial Arts? you mean Hsien Hsia?

Astroman wrote:Technically, one must be a 15th level Immortalist. It can be done, but it would take some serious time.

Welll... I certainly don't agree with you.
For one thing, the immortalist OCC and the Hsien Hsia art may have enlightened immortality as their official and primary objective, but I'm far from certain they are the best way to it... Enlightenment has a way of coming as a bonus when you're not even looking for it... so those who actively look are actually disadvantaged in getting it.

As for myself, I'd regard the various martial artist/mystic OCCs as the best placed, with the 2 Martial Artist OCCs from N&SS (the others are so steeped in the world as to be virtually incapable of finding Enlightenment, even if it came up and bit them in the ankle), and the following OCCs from Mystic China : Chun Tzu (warrior philosopher), Nei Xhia Wu Shih (meditative Martial Artist), Fang Shih Geomancer, Tao Shih Immortalist (so they are not the best placed, because they look too hard, but they are still on the way) and Wu Shih arcanist being the ones with the best likelihood.

As for what forms are more conducive to enlightenment... many forms of kung fu and/or karate are quite conducive to it. The key is that they must have an element for developing the inner self and spirit as opposed to being pure combat forms. (including chi or Zenjorike powers, or giving chi bonuses or teaching meditatiive cultural or temple are good indications that you're looking at a proper form)

Some of the most appropriate so far as I see would be : Aikido, Isshin ryu karate, Snake style kung fu (it's evil, but if it weren't, I'd make it one of the best paths), Tai chi ch'uan (my overall favorite) Ba gua (very close to Tai Chi), Hsing I.

Some more good ones are : Kyokushinkai karate (surprising, but for all it's brutal power, it does a bit of inner and chi development), mien ch'uan (if the practitioner manages to quit his evil ways) , Sankukai karate (not of itself, but because it is taught only in a monastic lifestyle, and as such it puts the practitioner on the way... of course it's not the only form to be taught at a monastery only, so my thinking it special may just be personal prejudice), King Chiao eagle kung fu, Taido, Zanji Shinjinken ryu, An Yin, Bak Mei, Hsien Hsia (only if the student is able to look beyond the form itself and its teachings... those are so rigid that they are actually a way to cull out the unfit... which is why I think this form is far from the most conducive).

Conversely, the three least conducive forms by my book are Pao Pat Mei kung fu, Wu Shu, and Triad Assassin (and actually, Shao Lin kung fu is so purely action oriented that it does not rate very high in my opinion... well, regarding enlightenment, for a wordly character, I like it fine).

As for allowing a PC to achieve Enlightenment and immortality... my answer is : never in game. If the game does not provide any mechanisms or explanation about how to become immortal, it's because immortals are only supposed to be NPCs. Having an Enlightened PC would make the game move to quite a different sphere, which no game material published helps you cope with. If a PC looked like he was on the right way and was well played, I might inform the player that his character eventually became Enlightened at the end of the campaign. That's all.

Of course, if you're ready to deal with all the hassle and peculiar concerns of ah ving an Immortal or more in your group... suit yourself.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Astroman wrote:Technically, one must be a 15th level Immortalist. It can be done, but it would take some serious time.

ummm. . . no that's not said anywhere.

it says anyoen can, the requirements appear to be meditation and Vital harmony, to form the elixer of immortatliyt in one's body.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Svartalf
Champion

Astroman wrote:Look at the stats for the enlightened Immortalist it says, per 15th level Immortalist:

??? where does it say that? I never noticed any such mention.
Svartalf
Champion

gadrin wrote:if you check out the Zenjorike power of Discorporate it mentions that "this is the first step on the character's road to the Taoist's version of immortality."

I don't recall any limits on when Discorporate can be taken, although it seems like its a very advanced power.

well... there are no Zenjorike more advanced than others... so basically, a 1st leveller with the right form might have it.

You'll notice, though, that the decision to use that art to become immortal (it starts by becoming one with nothingness, but obviously you come back...) is said in bold face to take the character permanently out of the game
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

svartalf wrote:
gadrin wrote:if you check out the Zenjorike power of Discorporate it mentions that "this is the first step on the character's road to the Taoist's version of immortality."

I don't recall any limits on when Discorporate can be taken, although it seems like its a very advanced power.

well... there are no Zenjorike more advanced than others... so basically, a 1st leveller with the right form might have it.

You'll notice, though, that the decision to use that art to become immortal (it starts by becoming one with nothingness, but obviously you come back...) is said in bold face to take the character permanently out of the game

not quite. read again.

you can do it and come back once per day without any problems.

more than once per day, and there is a 40% chance per time that you will be permanatly out of the game.

Svartalf
Champion

Where do you see a guarantee of any sort Tyciol?

It promises its students a course in internal alchemy culminating in enlightened immortality, but does not guarantee anything.

The only thing that shows they can make good on that promise to a certain degree is that you do get the discorporate zenjorike... at 14th level. If you choose the right form to study... you could get that at first level (like with Aikido and Snake style kung fu)... now, which arts give any guarantee of opening the path to Enlightened immortality?
Svartalf
Champion

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
svartalf wrote:

not quite. read again.

more than once per day, and there is a 40% chance per time that you will be permanatly out of the game.

*YOU* read again. Sure you can use the power once daily for the duration of one melee action...

but the step to immortality implies you decide to become one with the tao permanently, and there it does not say when you get back, if ever (but you must, ore there would be no stats for enlightend immortals), and does mention that the newly enlightened character is permanently out of the game
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

svartalf wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
svartalf wrote:

not quite. read again.

*YOU* read again. Sure you can use the power once daily for the duration of one melee action...

but the step to immortality implies you decide to become one with the tao permanently, and there it does not say when you get back, if ever (but you must, ore there would be no stats for enlightend immortals), and does mention that the newly enlightened character is permanently out of the game

yes, the FINAL step. they normally don't do it until they're 9 times refined.

Svartalf
Champion

It looks like somebody missed his editing skill roll again.

You're right, in the 9th refined, it does say that the immortal is getting ready for permanent discorporation (with reference to the zenjorike)...

But you can't deny that the way the zenjorike is phrased, it does imply that the first step to becoming an immortal is the choice to "permanently" discorporate and join them, as opposed to the daily 3 seconds that only give you a taste.

I wish Wujcik had kept the immortals in China 2 rather than put that geofront thing, which looks rather hasty made and half bootied by what I've heard, and/or had a china 3 in the works and ready to publish... which I don't think or it would be announced somewher
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tyciol wrote:You might get enlightenment without seeking it, but to become an enlightened IMMORTAL, you MUST seek it. The Hsien Hsias are the only ones listed as doing that, with a guaranteed way. Anyone who does it differently must be an NPC or something.

only martial art in general. anyone can seek it. it's offered as the only true path, it never says anywhere that it IS the only true path. it's kept diliberatly vauge on that score.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

svartalf wrote:It looks like somebody missed his editing skill roll again.

You're right, in the 9th refined, it does say that the immortal is getting ready for permanent discorporation (with reference to the zenjorike)...

But you can't deny that the way the zenjorike is phrased, it does imply that the first step to becoming an immortal is the choice to "permanently" discorporate and join them, as opposed to the daily 3 seconds that only give you a taste.

I wish Wujcik had kept the immortals in China 2 rather than put that geofront thing, which looks rather hasty made and half bootied by what I've heard, and/or had a china 3 in the works and ready to publish... which I don't think or it would be announced somewher

yes I can. . .

I read it that you become an "enlightened" immortal the FIRST time you discorpreate and come back. being one with the tao for the breif moment doing it.

going PERMANATE is the last step, by stepping out of this world you become truely immortal.

though either way, many martial arts can offer it to their practiconrs, several at first level :shock:

Svartalf
Champion

This is the first step on a character's road to the Taoist version of immortality. That is he can, at any time, choose to discorporate permanently!

What is it you don't understand there?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

svartalf wrote:
This is the first step on a character's road to the Taoist version of immortality. That is he can, at any time, choose to discorporate permanently!

what part don't you understand there? it's NOT mandatory for enlightment that you discopreate permanatly, it's only need that you have the choice.

sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

ok.. quick and simple...

what are the powers granted by enlightenment...

just determine that should a player wish to become enlightened, they must achieve at least, 70% of those powers...
Svartalf
Champion

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
svartalf wrote:

what part don't you understand there? it's NOT mandatory for enlightment that you discopreate permanatly, it's only need that you have the choice.

It is clear from the text that becoming an Enlightened immortal implies that you become one with the tao on a more or less permanent basis, which takes you out of the game, even it it's self evident you will be back.

Your denying that means that either
a) you can't understand clear English
b) you're pulling a house rule, and refuse to say so.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tyciol wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tyciol wrote:You might get enlightenment without seeking it, but to become an enlightened IMMORTAL, you MUST seek it. The Hsien Hsias are the only ones listed as doing that, with a guaranteed way. Anyone who does it differently must be an NPC or something.

only martial art in general. anyone can seek it. it's offered as the only true path, it never says anywhere that it IS the only true path. it's kept diliberatly vauge on that score.

It's not up to you whether vagueness is deliberate. My point is that Hsien Hsia is the only way to do it that we know of, anything else is a house rule. A fair rule for a GM to make, which I won't really disagree with.

it also dosnt' say anywhere that they actually can achive it, even if it is the school's goal.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

svartalf wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
svartalf wrote:

It is clear from the text that becoming an Enlightened immortal implies that you become one with the tao on a more or less permanent basis, which takes you out of the game, even it it's self evident you will be back.

Your denying that means that either
a) you can't understand clear English
b) you're pulling a house rule, and refuse to say so.

no, you're the one who can't understand clear english.

Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by Svartalf.
No, I'm afraid you're wrong. Permanent Discorporation is the final step of Enlightened Immortality, not the first. Read the following passages.

Mystic China, page 127.
Once the mind has become enlightened , there is no way to actually die. Although the character can be kiled, the soul will be returned to Earth for another cycle of reincarnation, where the reborn character will eventually gain any lost memories. So, having mastered that first lesson, each Enlightened Immortal is moving along a pathway toward complete self-mastery, a pathway that may lead across different lifetimes or involve living for hundreds of years at a time.
Mystic China, page 132.This final step places the Enlightened Immortal among the ranks of the deities, ready to permanently discorporate (see Zenjorike).
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Svartalf
Champion

Actually, Mantisking, I am quite aware of these passages.

Which is why one of my earlier posts mentioned somebody missing his editing skill roll.

I just can't find a way around the text as written in the discorporation power's description, which I quoted, however.

:

So my best guess and interpretation is that this "permanent" melding into the Tao is both the entrance gate into enlightenment, (As written in the power) AND the exit from individual existence for the weary immortal, as indicated in the two passages you quoted.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

svartalf wrote:Actually, Mantisking, I am quite aware of these passages.

Which is why one of my earlier posts mentioned somebody missing his editing skill roll.

I just can't find a way around the text as written in the discorporation power's description, which I quoted, however.

:

So my best guess and interpretation is that this "permanent" melding into the Tao is both the entrance gate into enlightenment, (As written in the power) AND the exit from individual existence for the weary immortal, as indicated in the two passages you quoted.

if that's true than enligntened immortality and refinment is impossible because you wouldn't exist after getting it.

be serious, that's a really crazy interpretation.

you need to be ABLE to do so, not actually do so. there's a difference.

Svartalf
Champion

Problem is of course that we're talking of a book that was edited at the usual Wujcik/Siembieda level ... lots of mistakes overlooked, contradictions unexplained, and wholes you could fly Battlestar Galactica and a full CAF fleet through... some probably because material was cut out that was more necessary than the editor/author (who supposedly knows the material well enough he doesn't need it himself, of course) deemed.

I was hoping that some of the holes would be plugged in Rifts China 2 ... No Luck...

What do you folks think are the odds of ever getting complimentary material published? (and I mean good stuff, official stuff, not like some of what went into rifters 3)
Svartalf
Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
svartalf wrote:What do you folks think are the odds of ever getting complimentary material published? (and I mean good stuff, official stuff, not like some of what went into rifters 3)

Tell you what, hold your breath and we'll laugh when you pass out from wiating. :-D :(

:-( Just about the answer I expected ... laugh away... I've already passed out and recovered.

:x I'm seriously thinking of following Goliath Strongarm's lead and starting a boycott on Pally products until I've seen Rifts China 3, official material on the enlightened Immortals, the way you become one, and the Celestial Court of the August Jade Personage, and/or a decently revised version of N&SS with all the snafus in the martial arts tables and the silly first wave of "revisions" removed.

At least that way, I'll save some money to buy other things
Svartalf
Champion

By my book, Tyciol, you try to go all arseward ... Hsien Hsia may be THE art that dedicates itself to the search for enlightenment... but it's said nowhere that it was truly the key to it, let alone the only key.

Meditation on the Tao and chi work strike me as being generally more productive.

And as for contradictions ... just compare the description of the Discorporate zenjorike power with the flavor text in the immortals section ... the one say that immersing oneself in the Tao permanently is the first step to becoming a Hsien, the others say on the contrary that it is the last step a jaded immortal takes to end its eternal life ... I've found an explanation that I like well enough, but I wouldn't swear it's right.
Mantisking
Hero

After thinking about it for a while, Permanent Discorporation sounds more like a Zen Buddhist thing than Taoist. I'm tired right now, so I'll try and hash out this idea in another post.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Svartalf
Champion

Of course, it might be one of those syncretist things the Asians are so good at

Becoming One with the Tao = attaining Nirvana...
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by Tyciol.
The man has a point. Discorporate = Buddha's job. Enlightened Immortal = the Chinese Immortals of Taoist legend.
That was essentially my point. Reaching Enlightenment in Buddhism allows you to escape the cycle and pass on to whatever reward lies beyond. Which is similar to becoming one with the Universe by Permanently Discorporating.

Originally posted by Tyciol.
On the other hand, it lists Discoporate as becoming one with the Tao or something doesn't it? In which case, it's a generic power applied to everyone.
So maybe we should genericize Discorporation a little more so it an apply equally to Buddhism as well as Taoism.
Svartalf
Champion

you know Mantisking ... it could be extended that way : permanent discorporation (no returning) is becoming a Buddha and passing on to Nivana.

Discorporating "Permanently"... but choosing to come back later = becoming a boddhisattva and continuing the Good Works.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: To Achive Enlightenment. . .

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Do you allow character to achive, or at least try to achive, Enlightened immortality?

In an N&S or Mystic China game, I'd not be inclined to allow it, due to the balance issues, but in high-powered settings like HU and Rifts, sure.

if so, what steps would you make them take?

The ones outlined in the book, such as they are, i.e. acquire the Discorporate Zenjorike, or learn Hsien Hsia Kung Fu (which I might add is not restricted to the Tao Shih/Immortalist O.C.C.).
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Mantisking
Hero

Originally posted by svartalf.
you know Mantisking ... it could be extended that way : permanent discorporation (no returning) is becoming a Buddha and passing on to Nivana.

Discorporating "Permanently"... but choosing to come back later = becoming a boddhisattva and continuing the Good Works.
Bingo. now all we have to do is re-write the description. :)

Originally posted by macksting.
This reminds me of the Taoist lore's description in the N&SS and MC books. I seem to recall one of the oddities of a mastery of Taoist lore is that the stories are frequently self-contradictory and that the philosophy is a bit messy.
I wouldn't say Philisophical Taoism is messy. Religious Taoism can be.
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Re:

Unread post by llywelyn »

Mantisking wrote:
Originally posted by svartalf.you know Mantisking ... it could be extended that way : permanent discorporation (no returning) is becoming a Buddha and passing on to Ni[r]vana.

Bingo. now all we have to do is re-write the description. :)
As noted above the description already covered it.

The first major discorporation (really, incorporation into the Tao) is Buddhahood and per GM discretion may take from one melee action to ten thousand years (since the newly enlightened one is outside of time). [Hence the GM-skippable warning about being permabanned from the game.]

The final major discorporation at the end of the 9 purifications is personal annihilation per Theravada Buddhism, leaving the cycle of death and rebirth entirely. Avoiding it is becoming a Mahayana Boddhisattva.

The only fig in the ointment is that allowing discorporation as a standard zenjorike skill means that Hsien-Hsia is completely useless and players should be taking snake or other chi-heavy forms. I suppose it's a good hedge to say as some do above that enlightenment can come easily and trying too hard is its own punishment. That said, I would have preferred exclusivity or at least some limit on it apart from arbitrary GMs.

I wouldn't say Philisophical Taoism is messy. Religious Taoism can be.

In both Taoism and Zen (which are closely related to one another historically and culturally), you do not "become" enlightened.
Both of these are highly inaccurate and less accurate than the book is.

In the west, we get the idea that Lao Tze was one thing and the superstitious mumbo jumbo something else entirely. In China, it's simply not like that and even the "purest" forms involve alchemy and worldly concerns on an entirely different level from Buddhism or even Chan.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Re: Re:

Unread post by Regularguy »

llywelyn wrote:The only fig in the ointment is that allowing discorporation as a standard zenjorike skill means that Hsien-Hsia is completely useless

Sure, if you want the kind of discorporation that takes you out of the game.

But look at what you get if you go the Hsien-Hsia route: you master the Mind Walk zenjorike and the Two Minds zenjorike before firing up Discorporate for the first time, and so can achieve enlightenment when one of your minds becomes one with the universe -- before, y'know, reintegrating with the mind that stayed behind.

Now, getting pulled back from oneness with the universe may well be a turbulent prospect for one of those Two Minds, so you'd be well-advised to have mastered the Calm Minds zenjorike as well. And you likewise might need to dissuade negative chi spirits who see an inviting opening during the process, such that performing a Spirit Burst is recommended. But even if you don't feel like playing it absolutely safe on Hsien-Hsia's conservative road to enlightenment, the irreducible key is Mind Walk plus Two Minds plus Discorporate.
llywelyn
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Re:

Unread post by llywelyn »

Regularguy wrote:...the irreducible key is Mind Walk plus Two Minds plus Discorporate.
That's a really good house rule.

Now I wish they'd rewrite the description. :D
Wise_Owl
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wise_Owl »

Wow, been a while since I stepped in here, but I'll throw in a few cents worth;

Religion in 'China' is often synergistic, and rarely, especially after the Song Dynasty, can you point to particular things and describe them as wholey belonging to one tradition or another. Zen Buddhism quite clearly borrows heavily from several Taoist traditions, and plenty of later Taoist philosophy, and more importantly 'folk religion' involves elements of Buddhism.

In game terms I would suggest making achieving Taoist englightenment by checking things off a list kind of defeats the point. This isn't a 'okay, so I meditate for X years, than do my Y study and than I'm Enlightened'. Questing for Enlightenment is a common theme in many 'traditional' stories, bu tachieving it is often a consequence of narrative fiat, and ultimately that is the best route in terms of Taoist Immortality in game in my opinion.

If a player wants his character to become a Taoist Immortal, it shouldn't be an easy task, there should be things he has to accomplish, but also a realization that if it happens it has to happen by demonstrating... well enlightenment? Reading works like the Seven Taoist Immortals, you see a running theme of people dealing with impedements to their enlightenment in entertaining ways. A Beatiful women lives disguised as an old begger woman to conquer vanity and engage humility. A Man who lusts after the attendents of heaven lives in a brothel until the presence of beauty and sexual lust no longer control him. A Man's problem proves to be that his desire for enlightenment is his impedement to enlightenment, and only finds it when he stops looking.

So short answer to the OP; yes, but it's mechanical consequences should flow out of in-game 'stuff'.
The Way that can be told,
is not the true unchanging way

The way that can be named,
is not the true unnamable way
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Wise_Owl wrote:Wow, been a while since I stepped in here, but I'll throw in a few cents worth;

Religion in 'China' is often synergistic, and rarely, especially after the Song Dynasty, can you point to particular things and describe them as wholey belonging to one tradition or another. Zen Buddhism quite clearly borrows heavily from several Taoist traditions, and plenty of later Taoist philosophy, and more importantly 'folk religion' involves elements of Buddhism.

In game terms I would suggest making achieving Taoist englightenment by checking things off a list kind of defeats the point. This isn't a 'okay, so I meditate for X years, than do my Y study and than I'm Enlightened'. Questing for Enlightenment is a common theme in many 'traditional' stories, bu tachieving it is often a consequence of narrative fiat, and ultimately that is the best route in terms of Taoist Immortality in game in my opinion.

If a player wants his character to become a Taoist Immortal, it shouldn't be an easy task, there should be things he has to accomplish, but also a realization that if it happens it has to happen by demonstrating... well enlightenment? Reading works like the Seven Taoist Immortals, you see a running theme of people dealing with impedements to their enlightenment in entertaining ways. A Beatiful women lives disguised as an old begger woman to conquer vanity and engage humility. A Man who lusts after the attendents of heaven lives in a brothel until the presence of beauty and sexual lust no longer control him. A Man's problem proves to be that his desire for enlightenment is his impedement to enlightenment, and only finds it when he stops looking.

So short answer to the OP; yes, but it's mechanical consequences should flow out of in-game 'stuff'.

Nicely said.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Although you have to admit: The expression on a Master Hsen Hsia practitioner who witnesses a beginner at Tai Chi exercise discorporating and becoming one with the Tao has to be priceless. :D
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Rider wrote:
Colt47 wrote:Although you have to admit: The expression on a Master Hsen Hsia practitioner who witnesses a beginner at Tai Chi exercise discorporating and becoming one with the Tao has to be priceless. :D

Considering the martial art form of Tai Chi takes 15 years to learn (or 6 + whatever your primary costs if a dual form artist like Dedicated) it might not annoy them that much.

Too bad Mystic China omits the skill cost in years. That might be fine for arts reprinted from the main book, but for new arts like Hsien Hsia it means we have no idea how many years it takes to learn.

Also interesting how Hsien Hsia's not even listed as exclusive in parenthesis. Despite being the OCC (well, PCC) most well known for the MA since it's what they get automatically without an option for anything else, we do know people besides Immortalists can learn it. The Chun Zu, Nei Chia Wu Shih, and Antiquarian can also have it.

In spite of not being listed as Exclusive, the description really does give that impression. The open-handed MA (only OCC in Mystic China with 2 arts) can't select it, for example. The Immortality PCC has that "prohibited from studying any other martial art form" disclaimer. The art itself also says "students who undertake Hsien Hsia are absolutely prohibited from engaging in other martial arts"

I don't think this is an absolute deterrent, TBH though, but it does make me question whether it could be selected along with another art learned under the same OCC, like a dedicated martial artist. I don't think a student's teacher would allow them to study it at the same time as another art, but I think if someone already knew an art beforehand (their primary) it wouldn't necessarily stop them from being taught Hsien Hsia, as long as they stopped practicing the primary during their learning.

By the same amount, if a Hsien Hsia student took it as their primary and then went and learned a secondary form, this would **** off their teachers ("you were prohibited!") but if they've already learned the art, they can advance in levels by their own experience and don't require their teachers rules to do so.

The reason "prohibited" should be interpreted as a spirit of teacher ethics and not one of actual game rules is obvious by another statement under the art. "The use of any Chi Mastery or use of Chi of any kind is prohibited".

First off, the students get Spirit Burst, which is a Zenjoriki power that uses chi, so obviously that is a little flexible.

Ignoring that: the Nei Chia Wu Shih specialize in mudras (which may use chi) yet can learn the art. The Immortalists practise paper-based chi magic, as well.

Even if we ignore that: 2nd stage refined immortals get all the chi mastery powers. Odds are that a Hsien Hsia who has become an enlightened immortal and gets these powers is going to use them. The restriction on the use of chi powers is obviously to keep students focused on learning the required Zenjoriki abilities. To learn chi mastery abilities would usually (unless you're a dedicated martial artist) require switching OCCs to get a new martial art (like tai chi or whatever) to learn those powers, which stops them from gaining levels in Hsien Hsia, delaying their progress towards enlightened immortality, and luring them to false chi-associated paths to Immortality like becoming Yin/Undead immortals.

Many Hsien Hsia teachers (the immortal ones) probably do use chi and know chi mastery, they just discourage learning them because it deviates from the most efficient path towards enlightenment.

Well, I know Kuseru has a bunch of reasonable training costs listed on his site, though that is not officially canon. On a side note, I don't think I've ever used the revised versions of the dedicated and worldly martial artist. They just don't stand up to the other OCCs in the book, hence I usually have a dedicated martial artist with three selections (or one exclusive and one other) and worldly getting two.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”